Roger Mayer Octavia Tips?

theactor19

Looking for RM Octavia Owners. I just got mine and still figuring out how to use it best.

I've heard of people turning the volume high and drive just slightly on, though I find it doesn't sustain very long that way.

Anyway, just looking for tips (i.e. how you use your, where in the pedal chain, settings, in combination with other pedals, etc.)

I also have a RM Axis Fuzz, so any settings with that would be great. Another thing, I find the Octavia doesnt really work well with my Teese Picture Wah.

VoodooBlues

I set mine volume full up and a little drive as well. However, I always use it in conjunction with a Fuzz in front of it. Or with an RC Booster or overdrive behind it. The pedal doesn't sound great on it's own but stacked with some other form of boost or dirt, it's pretty cool!

Edit: I've never really liked the sound of it with wah either.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
Jimi had the octavia in front of his Fuzz Face. Not that you have to do it that way (there's no hard and fast rules...), but if that's the tone you're going for you might want to try a fuzz after it.

johnh

I always stack my octave pedals into an overdrive. Low gain, high volume. Doesn't sound so good on it's own, but just heavenly into my FDII/OCD.

jgyn

I have one. It's on the lower gain side of Octavia pedals. Use it low gain (more pronounced octave effect) before a Fuzz Face type pedal for the best Hendrix type sounds.

warioblast

^^ same here.

Remember there are no rules when it comes to chain order. Especially with octavia, fuzz face & wah. They all interacts differently with each other. I used the rocket octavia and now the vision octavia before a NKT sunface. I also have the Dunlop Octavio which sounds better after the sunface. When placed before it sounds too gated.

I have yet tried an octavia/o that sounds good with a wah. I used to have a Teese pic wah too. The buffer is only usefull with fuzz face IMO, it doesn't do much with other fuzz.

Rowboat

Mine arrived from Farnham Village today. A strange beast indeed - It's an absolute killer od/fuzz - but where's the friggin' octave?

Unless it means harmonic 'characteristics', my Rocket Octavia is not a provider of octave effect..

Too much drive yields horrific amateurish 3rd order harmonic distortion and equally horrible noise ('artefacts')..

Last edited:

seiko

With any Octavia you can get some good sounds by turning down the tone control on your guitar. A RAT into a trad Octavia yields some very mono-synthy style sounds.

ross1shark

Silver Supporting Member
strange beast indeed - It's an absolute killer od/fuzz - but where's the friggin' octave?
I think that might just be a characteristic of an Octavia type circuit. It's most pronounced using a single coil in the neck position with the tone rolled back.
My Fulltone Octafuzz is that way, too. With a bridge humbucker, for instance, it's almost like the octave just gets buried.

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
Looking for RM Octavia Owners. I just got mine and still figuring out how to use it best.

I've heard of people turning the volume high and drive just slightly on, though I find it doesn't sustain very long that way.

Anyway, just looking for tips (i.e. how you use your, where in the pedal chain, settings, in combination with other pedals, etc.)

I also have a RM Axis Fuzz, so any settings with that would be great. Another thing, I find the Octavia doesnt really work well with my Teese Picture Wah.
Octavia is not known for sustaining notes.
Tips:
-pedal volume max, drive low
-guitar optimal effect :
neck pup, preferably single coil
Volume pot ~7 (not full open)
-strum with pick/hand and away from the bridge….positioned over the vicinity of the neck pup or neck-body junction
2BA4DB23-90F7-4590-95B0-DD68947EB639.jpeg
EC5216A8-0AB5-49CF-BD37-E019ACA1901C.jpeg

Last edited:

tubekingsley

Mine arrived from Farnham Village today. A strange beast indeed - It's an absolute killer od/fuzz - but where's the friggin' octave?

Unless it means harmonic 'characteristics', my Rocket Octavia is not a provider of octave effect..

Too much drive yields horrific amateurish 3rd order harmonic distortion and equally horrible noise ('artefacts')..
Run it into a OD/Dist or fuzz pedal, and adjust the Octavia, for a usable sound. Lower the volume a little on your guitar, use the neck pickup, lower tone to taste.
You say it’s a killer sounding od/fuzz, which suggests it’s functional, no octave makes little sense to me, especially when you play at the 12th fret.
Are the 3rd order harmonics you mention actually the octave effect ? You should be able to tell, regardless of how bad, or broken it may sound.

Last edited:

Rowboat

Hi @tubekingsley
My mate Graham in NZ recommended using the neck pickup with the top rolled back to 0 before being a hasty hobbit. His experience with the Synthi Hi-Fly about 100 years ago was that if he did so, it wouldn't make the ring modulator go crazy.

I took my bandages off this morning and started afresh. Coil split to single pole, neck pickup, tone backed off. Mesa: clean channel. Unity volume on Octavia, drive backed off. Drive rolled on.. yip, there's an octave up buried in there!

I suffer from digitalia (a condition caused by overexposure to non-analogue boxes. You may quote me.) I was impatient. This morning's experiment confirmed that clumsy use of the guitar's tone pot and the Octavia's drive control are unwise, unless Angry Robot glitches are desired.

I've put my bandages back on now. Damn hand won't stop being fractured!

PhuzzphayzZ

wait, are we having an Octavia101 class?

to those who say there's no rules
THERE'S RULES
you know that, you Neck+ZeroTone... there's no OPINING here :waiting

you do what Octavia demands and that's it, m'kay?

so, RM particulars:

1) this NoTransformer design represents TheFuture of what Jimi most likely would have used. He never got the chance, but, Roger says Jimi knew the NoTransformer thing was TheThing.

2) Octavia "NEEDS a Driver"...period. Maybe not other Octavias, but the RM has 'noFuzz' so to speak, it needs a driver.

OP has an Axis... apply Octavia either before or after

We do 'Fire'... amp during most of the song, apply VisageFuzz for 'Rover' part, then Octavia for the Lead- sounds like the record, - and no, I wasn't following the Neck+'0'Tone rule, - it sounds like a WahToe, no whoop

SECRET:
when you Neck+'0'Tone, then 'tune' the Octavia to get your +8va rollin... set Volume, and then set the Fuzz until you hear it blossom

This is settled science, the words have settled like dew on the lily

killer blues

THERE'S RULES

so, RM particulars:

1) this NoTransformer design represents TheFuture of what Jimi most likely would have used. He never got the chance, but, Roger says Jimi knew the NoTransformer thing was TheThing.

2) Octavia "NEEDS a Driver"...period. Maybe not other Octavias, but the RM has 'noFuzz' so to speak, it needs a driver.

We do 'Fire'... amp during most of the song, apply VisageFuzz for 'Rover' part, then Octavia for the Lead- sounds like the record, - and no, I wasn't following the Neck+'0'Tone rule, - it sounds like a WahToe, no whoop

SECRET:
when you Neck+'0'Tone, then 'tune' the Octavia to get your +8va rollin... set Volume, and then set the Fuzz until you hear it blossom

great post! and so true pre pre internet

PhuzzphayzZ

I have:

Visage > Octavia > Axis

Axis after is moar the experience than Visage after, Visage is good either way, but Axis has that brighty bright thing that brings Octavia to RingMod territory. All 3 together isn't as crazy as you might think. Axis is NOT a FFace; Visage "is"

tubekingsley

THERE'S RULES

so, RM particulars:

SECRET:

Tone doesn’t necessarily sound best rolled back to zero, it depends on the guitar

PhuzzphayzZ

Tone doesn’t necessarily sound best rolled back to zero, it depends on the guitar
true- I just always try to eliminate options- rolling all the way allows me to 'tune' from the pedal, set and forget... tho, I know raising up Tone a bit usually hits the sweet spot

Trending Topics

Top Bottom