Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redpony, Mar 11, 2006.

1. redpony

redpony Member

I recently purchased a Vooodoo Vibe and I would like to know what other owners of the pedal think of it and to share some setting and recommendations.

So far, I'm loving mine and am really digging the depth and movement of a slight vibrato. Barely detectable, but makes a nice fat tone. Everything seems to sound better going through this pedal. I have a Super Reverb and the stock p-up in my Martin hd28 made for a nice sound going into through the VV. Acted almost like a tube preamp or something. I added a bit of delay and I hade an amplified acoustic sound that I actually liked.

My questions:

How do you like the pedal and how does it compare to other Univibes you've owned/played?

What power supply are you using? Do you find a specific one less noisy than others?

What are you favorite settings? Have you gotten the Voodoo Vibe to do that underwaterish kind of sound?

2. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

The VV is my main vibe unit. I have tried the Mojo, Ultra, and the ProVibe in the Captain Coconut 2. I also have a buncha phasers and the MoFaux Vibe and just got the BYOC "loaded" phaser with it's univibe setting. I dig all vibes.

I use a PP2 most of the time and sometimes a Godlyke or One Spot. I occasionally get some noise but have not isolated it to the power supply. And then I go away, come back and the noise is gone. Go figger.

For settings - here's a list of some I have accumulated over the years - stolen seems like such a harsh term. :D

Leslie: Chorus mode, Range: 3rd click from left, Fine: <fill in your taste> intensity: 1 o'clock symmetry 9 o'clock bias 3 o'clock

Liquid chorus: chorus mode (duh!) Range: 1st click from left intensity: 1 o'clock symmetry 12 o'clock bias 5 o'clock

Tremelo: Trem mode Range: 2nd click intensity 3 o'clock symmetry 12 o'clock bias 2 o'clock

Try to play with the vibrato as well: fair amout of overdrive. high intensity setting, bias way down... and play with symmetry.. psychedelic huh?

Machine Gun
    Function: Chorus, Range 2, Fine 10o’clock, Intensity 11, Sym 12, Bias 11, Output 3

Classic Uni-Vibe Function: Chorus Range: middle sine Fine: 11:00 Intensity: 2:00 Symmetry: 12:00 Bias: 3:00 Output: 2:00

Spanish Surf ( + danelectro Danecho & Blues Driver) Chorus Range (sinus-3) Fine : 2 o’clock Intensity : 11 o’clock Symmetry : 12 o’clock Bias : 12 o’clock

Blues 33 Chorus Range (sine-1st) Fine : 1 o’clock Intensity : 3:30 o’clock Symmetry : 3:30 o’clock Bias : 1 o’clock

Seeems clear to me (+ Blues Driver) Chorus Range (sine-2nd) Fine : 1 o’clock Intensity : 2 o’clock Symmetry : 2 o’clock Bias : 1:30 o’clock

UFO Vibrato Range (sinus-3) Fine : 12 o’clock Intensity : 11 o’clock Symmetry : 12 o’clock Bias : 12 o’clock

Devil’s Right Hand (+ Blues Driver) Tremelo Range (sinus-3) Fine : 1:30 o’clock Intensity : 11 o’clock Symmetry : 12 o’clock Bias : 3:30 o’clock

I can dance Chorus Range (sine-3) Fine : 12 o’clock Intensity : 11 o’clock Symmetry : 12 o’clock Bias : 3:30 o’clock

:dude

3. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Member

Does anyone know how the VV jr comapers to the original for it's vibe tone?

4. redpony

redpony Member

Thanks for the settings Bmore. Most appreciated. Can't wait to give them a spin.

Supposedly, the VV and VVjr have the same components (minus the trem on the jr) but to my ears the VV sounded better than the jr (more detail, fuller, richer). I tried them both before purchasing the VV. The jr is smaller and is less complicated so may be better suited for a live pedalboard.

5. eknapier

eknapier Member

in chorus mode, set to whatever fine speed you prefer, I can also get a sort of mxr type, traditional phaser sound w/ symmetry at noon, bias at 11 o'clock, intensity at 9 o'clock on the triangle wave setting - slowest speed range. I use this setting alot lately. Try moving the bias up and the intensity up in steps for a more dramatic effect, keeping the 2 hour difference between them. OR start w/ bias at 11 o'clock, intensity at 10 o'clock and move the bias up in steps, keeping the difference between them at 1 hour. This will eventually bring you to the traditional univibe setting BmoreTele is talking about, with bias at 3 o'clock and intensity at 2 o'clock.

I find that the closer the bias and intensity nobs are to the same time on the "clock" the more the dramatic the effect. Thus, the machine gun setting above w/ bias and intensity both set to 11 o'clock. Taking the intensity above the bias in chorus mode just doesn't sound right to my ears.

BMoreTele: I'd be REALLY interested to get some more tremolo settings from you as I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting this function dialed in. I'd really like to get a classic fender type trim out of it. Closest I've found is bias at 3 o'clock and intensity at around 10:30 - 11 o'clock. You have any more recommendations???? Thanks for all the settings you posted, I gotta try this "liquid chorus" i dunno if that's something I've gotten from it...

This pedal is probably the best gear purchase I've ever made, I keep finding more uses for it, and it's hours and hours of endless joy. In a live setting, it just brings the heat like nothing else...cuts thru the mix like a freaking light saber. I love how it does not change the basic tone of what you push through it (actually somehow fattens it up, if anything), and how extremely quiet it is no matter how much dist/OD/Fuzz you run into it. AMAZING!!!

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

TREMOLO RANGE on medium sine, or medium triangle, I don't really hear too much of a difference between the two) FINE between 1 and 3:30 INTENSITY anywhere between 10 and 1 SYMMETRY 12 BIAS 2:30 Increase the Symmetry from 12 to 5 while correspondingly increasing the Fine (move to fast setting if needed) to go from a Fender-like trem to a Vox -like effect, sharper and more intense to my ears. Here's another neat one:
    RANGE on slow to medium triangle FINE close to 5 if on slow or anywhere between 7 and 10 if on medium INTENSITY all the way up SYMMETRY at 12 BIAS between 12:30 and 2:30 Pick the string during the silence and have the note fade in. Velvet Underground used this effect and I think it sounds cool.

VIBRATO I'm not too sure on this one because it walks a thin line between being too subtle and too much for me. Here is a setting I like: RANGE: fast sine (or triangle) FINE between 11 and 1 INTENSITY between 10 and 11:30 (no more than that) SYMMETRY between 12 and 2 (further from 12 increases the sharpness of the attack like on a violin wrist vibrato) BIAS 10 or 2 (two sides of the same coin)

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I have one too, which I mainly use for tremolo - I actually never turn it off! - it's always set at least for a very subtle trem, with the bias at 3 o'clock (which does give the most natural amp-like tremolo, to me) and the intensity at about 9 o'clock, symmetry dead center.

I use quite a few different speed settings and have it modded so I can speed-control it or switch to the Fine setting using the footswitch on a stripped-out CryBaby housing. I do also use it more occasionally for vibe and chorus, generally with the bias around halfway and the intensity a bit lower.

You may be surprised to know that I actually prefered my Dunlop Rotovibe for vibe and chorus - partly the tone, I did think it was marginally better (thicker), but mainly the speed range - the problem with the Voodoo-Vibe is that the external pedal only controls the sweep of the Fine setting, so it can't go from slow enough to fast enough at the same time. I did have both on my board before, but I replaced the Rotovibe with the pedal for the Voodoo since speed-controlled tremolo was more important to me. I do like the vibe and chorus on the Voodoo too, they're just a bit clearer and less 'chewy' than the ones on the Rotovibe.

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Thanks for all the great settings-I am going to get one of these again.

9. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

I'd love to have one, they're just soooo darn big!:horse:(

10. redpony

redpony Member

After printing out and dialing in the settings above, I'm starting to get a better handle on the VV. A lot of variety can be dialed in, and I'm surprised how good the phaser setting sounds. I may end up selling my Small Stone after all.

PS: is anyone using a fuzz with the VV? I have a Fuzz Factory and a Black Fuzz and the Fuzz Factory just doesn't like being after the VV. The Fuzz Factory freaks out and is noisy as hell. The Black Fuzz is a bit noisier after the VV, but not unbearable. Interestingly, both fuzzes clean up nicely after the VV's buffer. I have a Reverend Drivetrain II whose buffer doesn't play nicely with fuzzes at all. In addition, its buffer also causes headaches with my Deluxe Memory Man--clips it like crazy. The VV buffer has neither problem and sounds nice too.

11. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i love to have a vv!!

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I don't think it's a great idea to run a vibe before a fuzz, really. The Fuzz Factory is extremely sensitive to buffering before it - it tolerates some and hates others. I run it first in the chain for that reason, and since it responds best to controlling the stability with the guitar volume like that too. I also run my VV last in the chain, although I know many people prefer their vibe before some of their other effects; I tend not to - and I like my trem last before the amp anyhow.

Yes, it is certainly big! ... but luckily it's also taller than anything else as well, so it can go right at the back without getting in the way. I still had to design my entire pedalboard around it and move the jacks on the VV to the front just to get it on though. But worth it.

13. redpony

redpony Member

You can say that again.... On the other hand, I have my Nick Greer Black Fuzz after the VV and I like the way it sounds a lot placed there. Even responds to the guitar volume knob in that position. I play at loud-ish bedroom levels, so my effects order might be different at higher volume.

I just have my pedals layed out on the floor. I guess the VV will pose problems once I decide to build a pedal board. What type, size, etc are you using with the VV?

PS. Nice clips.

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

An own-made one in an off-the-shelf case...
    [​IMG]
    Fuzz Factory > Dunlop 535 > Boss tuner > DOD Envelope Filter > Boss Octaver > Frantone Cream Puff > Boss Distortion-Feedbacker > (insert loop) > MXR Micro-Chorus > Boss DM-2 > Boss Phaser > Boss Hi-Band Flanger > Voodoo-Vibe (+ speed pedal) > (rack unit with Boss DE-200 delay and Vermona analog filter) > amp.

The VV is fairly heavily modded now with all the jacks on the front and the right side - there's plenty of room in the casing so it's not difficult to do. The footswitches in the lower left are for the rack boxes, and the box at the top right is for all the connections. If I'm using my amp with an FX loop I run the amp's preamp in the insert loop; if not I put my Mesa V-1 there and go into the front of the amp afterwards.

Thanks! :)

15. eknapier

eknapier Member

I run my fuzz and all my overdrive before the voodoo vibe. In the phaser setting I mentioned, I will usually it set to low intensity so that when totally clean you get a nice liquid swish and then as you increase the gain/fuzz into it it starts getting really choppy and chewy. Same for any Univibe settings. And unlike most univibes and modulation effects, running extreme amounts of fuzz and gain into the Voodoo Vibe is not noisy at all. Excellent device!!!

16. eknapier

eknapier Member

In terms of pedalboard space, I have mine setup sideways on the left side of my board, with the footswitch on the bottom - this way the output jacks point towards the rest of the board and I have no problems at all wiring in all my other effects. Just a thought, it's pretty cool what John has done there with that board, but you certainly don't HAVE to mod the pedal to get it to fit a conventional sized board. I think mine's 24 X 16 or something.