Roger Mayer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rumblefish, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Just was wondering why the original sonic innovator doesn't have much presence around here or that other forum?If you go to his website you'll see he's making new stuff along with refined versions of the old classics.
    I'm guessing it's in part due to his not having much of a dealer network in the U.S.:NUTSI wonder why. Why why why?! The questions of life keep me awake at night.Forget the gas crisis.:worriedI need answers.
    Now!

Where's Dr. Tweedy when I need him?

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Good question ;) Two of my mainstay pedals on my live rig is my ol' trusty Voodoo-1 and a Voodoo Vibe. I like em a lot :D

3. Melj

Melj Member

I often wonder about this. I posted a 'Roger Mayer news' thread while back and no one seems to be that interested in his stuff.

He's just not as 'exciting' as the new kids on the block, I think. He's been producing solid, reliable, good sounding gear for generations, too, so he has the 'familiarity breeds contempt' thing going on.

I also think he has refined some of his designs almost too far, and when playing at home or in a store they seem maybe too polite. They're definitely better in a live environment. I have a love / hate relationship with my Vision Wah but it's the pedal i've owned the longest, it's been on my board for around 5 years now. Sometimes it's a pain to tweak just right but ultimately it's as good as anything i've ever tried and fundamentally just a better product from an operational point of view.

Another issue of course is the rocket enclosures - cool but no good for pedal boards. Now that he's migrating his rocket pedals into the Vision enclosures you may see more pedal board take up, especially as the new boxes have a true bypass and a buffered out, so you can decide for yourself what sounds best.

I'm intrigued by his Mission Controller, but think he's missed a trick by not including the guitar signal in the wirless aspects.

Other than that I also think he deserves to be considered in the same league as Pete Cornish, only with the added benefit of not having to sell a kidney to acquire his gear!

4. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

5. Melj

Melj Member

Yep...I had one. I sold it though ;) At the time I was using Matamps with HB guitars, and TBs weren't as effective with those amps. From what I recall it was less honky than a standard Rangemaster type, and could also be dialled in as a fuzz if necessary. Not as much level boost available as some TBs. I've been thinking about picking up another one.

FWIW the only TB i've really loved was the Cornish TB83 extra. Didn't like the Analogman at all, the Mayer one would be in the middle with the HBE germania.

I've also had:
    Vision Octavia - limited usefulness for me, so I sold it
    Spitfire fuzz - Darker than I would have liked & no tone control
    Page 1 - Nice general fuzz with a hint of TB...sold for more than I paid for it!
    Voodoo Vibe - picked up radio signals

In general I had most of these while using Matamps, which i've moved on from because they were generally too dark / midrangey / dull sounding for me, and I think that's skewed my view of the above. I do know, for instance, that it wasn't the Voodoo vibe per se that was picking up radio, it was a problem with the amp that was exacerbated by having the VV in the chain. Weird.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I like the Vision wah and Voodoo Vibe I have and may buy some more of his stuff. As said the Rocket case is cool but impractical. The Voodoo cases are kind a big but they do have the jacks on the top and can be placed right against the next pedal. Now he has some in black boxes and others in silver boxes kind of confusing. The quality is top notch. I asked him to build a volume pedal in the Vision Wah case he said he'd think about it.

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have many of his pedals. The Voodoo Vibe gets the most use.

8. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I have the Classic Fuzz the Mongoose Fuzz and the Octavia. All three units are very good. I have the Classic Fuzz and Octavia in my Hendrix/Trower set-up. They get a lot of use.

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

That sounds dead-on accurate to me, a la Jimi at Berkley

only_half_:)

10. Freedom

Freedom Member

The Axis is my favorite Fuzz...i also own the Vision wah, nice sounds just not my favorite but i LOVE his innovations like the vari-friction bearing, the adjustable switch, the lack of pot etc... :BEER

11. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

I have a couple of his stuff too. They are all great. I like the spitfire fuzz and voodoovibe jr in particular.

12. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Just found a spitfire on HC. Looking forward to trying it when it gets here.

13. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz gets those 'Axis: Bold As Love' sounds like no other.

14. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Had no issues with unwanted radio signals with my Voodoo Vibe?? Curious...Was it atleast a good radio station?? :D

15. Melj

Melj Member

I think it was radio Istanbul, or something :)

It was returned to Roger, who called me himself to advise that there was no problem with it. Very nice gentleman...Anyway, as mentioned, it seems that the amp I was using at the time was particularly susceptible to radio noise, and for some reason the VV was enhancing that. Mr Mayer did note that some power supplies could get radio noise into the signal, and some amps would be more liable to amplify that noise.

I would buy another now that i'm using a different setup, if only you could control the whole speed range via expression pedal rather than just within the individual ranges. It would be nice if it was a bit smaller too!

16. RickC

I just picked up an Axis Fuzz on ebay. On mine, and using a Strat, things don't really get interesting (fuzzy and Hendrixy) till pretty far up on the drive knob; around 3:00 or so. Below that, the sound is a little more glassy but no fuzz to speak of. Is this normal behavior for this pedal?

In general, I'm used to fuzzes getting hairy much earlier in the control sweep. The Axis sounds good once it gets going, but there seems to be very little usable range left on the control. I just want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

/rick

17. RickC

Really??? Nobody has *any* input to give me re this pedal?

18. Freedom

Freedom Member

I'd say its normal, i keep the drive on mine 2-3 notches backed off from max (there is a certain spot just before the drive is maxed out that the noiz increases way too much) so yes, if you want the "wooly" sound your setting seems ok...

Depending on how "cooked" your amp is, you can even lower the drive a little bit more and get more definition...i also like the axis with the drive set on min and the volume near max (unity)...

19. RickC

Cool. Thanks

/rick

20. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

About two weeks ago I bought that Dunlop JH-F1 Jimi Hendrix silicon fuzz face, and I get excited again about fuzz after long time. (previously many years ago i had some fuzzes like Fulltone 69, Soulbender, Voodoo Lab superfuzz...etc.)
    Yesterday I bought Roger Mayer Classic fuzz and Axis Fuzz and RM's silicon fuzz Axis just destroyed JF-F1 IMO. Really nice sounds without NOS mojo and juju. Love how they look too.
    It seems that he has alot of his own designs and not just those same ol' copies. Nice.
    :)