• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Roger Waters Underrated?

Ricardo P

Just came to my mind how awesome bass work he did. I guess I never heard anyone here cheering his talent as a bassist so I opened for discussion:

Probably many agreed that his bass is too simple if compared to others rock players but can you imagine Floyd songs with a different bassist?

So, to example why I consider him as a innovative genius hear the first minute of this song where he plays the main melody:

Then think about the heartbeats in Time, Careful with that Axe Eugene, Set the Controls, Money, etc...

What do you guys think?

Braunzo

I don't think that it's he's an under rated bass player... I just think that the genius of his songwriting overshadowed it. Roger was great at just about everything he did... Just ask him.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
He's definitely overshadowed by his persona/ego. He always seemed to be positioned more as a singer/bandleader in the public eye. I agree he is vastly underrated/under recognized as a bassist. Simplicity is by no means a fault. Ask ringo.

Zingeroo

That bass line IS genius.
Because David Gilmour played it, not Roger Waters...
Same thing with the fretless bass solo on "Hey You."

freedom's door

He definitely played some great bass parts, but i also think i remember reading that some of the bass stuff on Floyd albums was played by Gilmour?

Ricardo P

Had just read it, kinda disappointing but makes sense since David is the melody genius. Anyway it doesn't diminish his innovation in other older songs IMO.

Custom50

came here to say this.
some of the great bass work was gilmour.
waters is still solid though.

sixty2strat

I have a early boot of money ....roger has a bitch of a time keeping time with the cash register and mason. honestly he's pretty limited he plays more root 5 then most country guys,but like so many rock players it works. put jack bruce or chirs squire in there and it would not be right. I guess that wright and gilmour made a lot of suggestions even read that wright used to tune his bass on stage.....might be the root of the hate

That said he does hav his own weird stentorian groove. Once read a discription of the band the the bass is ahead of the beat the guitar and drums are behind the beat and the keys are ontime....it does describe the floyd sound i terms of time

Zingeroo

He's hardly a "great" bass player. But then again, he was a genius songwriter and lyricist. In the Roger Waters vs. "The Rest" I side with "The Rest" because Pink Floyd was a group effort. But clearly it was not the same without him. He was a great songwriter who also played bass.

ANALOG GUY

Underrated as a singer, writer, arranger, isn't that enough?
Bass duties can and are handed off on the wall tour.

mikeguy53

I imagine he isn't too interested in what people think of his bass playing. Saw the Wall recently. Brilliant.

Trending Topics