Rogue $39 guitar, just incredible

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by tedm, May 2, 2005.

1. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

But it is possible that this particular guitar sounds great, or at least, since it is a subjective thing anyway, it sounds great to him.

Michael Daves has a 1960 D-18 that sounds awesome, he also has a plywood construction western auto guitar that he frequently plays because to him, it sounds great, and I have to agree (depending on context):

2. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Shlepping a 39$ guitar around as you say might be a concern.I still think one mans garbage is another mans gold.

3. syrynx

syrynx Member

There's also a market for extremely expensive guitar shaped objects, and many of them end up in the TGP Guitar Emporium after a few weeks.

It's not hard to figure out which buyer has the lower Total Cost of Ownership... It's the buyer who has a guitar under his bed. :D

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

what's yer point? That some people don't know what they want, or have enough money to buy everything they lay their hands on? That the expensive guitar didn't suit the buyer doesn't reflect on the quality of the guitar, now does it? MY point was that beginners have no frame of reference to assess the value and quality of an instrument. They either quit or advance and upgrade. Either way, the cheap guitar shaped object ends up under the bed, in the closet, or on Craigslist advertised as a "Martin clone".

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

For what it is worth, the OP claims to own a Martin to compare it to:

I have played cheap guitars that sound great, I had a buddy with a laminate top Fender guitar from one of those starter packs, it was surprising how good it sounded, I had another buddy with the same guitar and it was dead and lifeless. Sometimes there are gems in the lower cost points. A lot of studio guitarists favor some of these cheap laminate guitars for recording purposes as well.

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I have two guitars in the house that cost me less than $35 so I guess I am as guilty of falling under the spell of el cheapo chic as anybody.

I have played these Rogues. Would I describe them as "unbelievable" - nope. Would I say they were even in the ballpark of a Martin D-18 - not on your life. Would I say they were as much fun to play as a guitar costing 100 times as much - you betcha.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. valcoholic57

valcoholic57 Member

I won an Epiphone AJ220s in a contest last year and it is an unbelievably nice guitar for the $199 price tag they go for. Solid top, great tone, super nice playability. I put some ebony bridge pins in it and it just sings. There are indeed deals out there

8. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Supporting Member

That Rogue was my first acoustic(dreadnought anyway) ten years ago. It was actually quite playable and like someone else said, played lightly it sounded good but strummed hard it broke up. I think I payed $50 to my door which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

It is nowhere near the quality, sound or otherwise of any Martin I've played since. I ended up giving away the rogue when I got a blueridge br-160.

9. syrynx

syrynx Member

...or pulled out for guests, or at the campfire by the lake, or set up for slide with a magnetic pickup in the sound hole, or given to the kid with more talent than money... They don't necessarily stay under the bed.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Look, I didn't say it was junk, I didn't insult the OP or others who want to play a $39 guitar. But equating it with instruments that cost much more, and are much better built is just rationalization. I have no need to justify my own taste and opinions of quality instruments ... to each their own. I'm happy to let it be.