Roland Blues Cube Artist Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kimonostereo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. kimonostereo

kimonostereo Member

Hey all,

I know the amp isn't out just yet, but I had some questions that maybe one of you know the answer to.

Is this essentially the same amp that has been reviewed by GP and others via YouTube? None of these reviews talk about the Tone Capsule port in the back of the amp. Since it seems that this amp has never actually shipped, has this always on the amp but never talked about or was it added afterward? I'm curious if Roland did any other changes to the amp or if it's the same amp that has already been reviewed.

Also curious if you will be able to easily switch between the stock sounds of the amp and those that you add with the Tone Capsule. From videos I've viewed from NAMM, it doesn't seem like there will be a way without removing it from the rear. If this is so, that's kind of a bummer.

Does the amp come with a foot switch (probably not is my guess)? Anyone have a shipping date for these?

aloha!
    \\scott\\

2. mvanslooten

mvanslooten Member

The tone capsule port has always been on there, as far as I know, but it wasn't announced until NAMM.

From what I've heard, the footswitch connector for the 60W version only supports channel switching, while the 80W will have a connector for a channel/FX loop/boost/reverb footswitch. They're not included with the amp, I'm quite sure.

ltkojak likes this.
  3. Phil W

Phil W Member

The BluesCube Stage and Artist were announced last July but have yet to be retailed.
    I have two BC Artist on order.
    They will both accommodate the tone capsule and it was 'probably' added on after the original announcement because there's no mention of it in the user guide one can download from Roland:
    http://www.rolandus.com/support/by_product/blues_cube_artist/owners_manuals/8832
    So yes, they are the same amps. They will probably sound better on the crunch channel than the first reviews though because it is presumed that Roland have been tweaking it after initial criticism.
    I don't know about the switching between TC mode and 'Normal' mode but if the TC operates like I think it does (a fundamental revision of the circuitry) then it'll have to be removed.
    Both versions of the amp can use footswitches (not supplied) but only the Artist can use the six switch GA-FC controller (with appropriate label stickers, I kid you not).
    The current stock date for the UK is March 20th but that might come and go. I've been waiting since December with several revisions.

4. elkman

elkman Member

5. kimonostereo

kimonostereo Member

Thanks for the info!

Hmmm... if taking the TC out is the only way to switch to normal mode, that might be an issue. The TC legs look like an actual tube from what I can tell. Might be problematic popping it in and out. My mind is already thinking of a way to mod it! LOL!

Interesting that you speculate that the crunch channel will be better. What were the criticisms? Not enough gain?

So in order to use the footswitch, I'll need to put stickers on it? Wha?

My local shop has two on order. They said next month, so we'll see...

6. kimonostereo

kimonostereo Member

Thanks for the link to the manual! Just like you said, it's interesting that there is no mention of the Tone Capsule at all. I wonder if they will revise it when it finally ships.

7. Phil W

Phil W Member

More that the channel didn't have an authentic tube/valve tone. The clean channel, even with gain, was spot on but the crunch channel lost rhythm compression and sparkle. Roland claimed to be adjusting it.

8. davetone

davetone Member

I'm really interested in trying the Artist as well as the Stage version when they appear in stores. I do wish that they could incorporate several Tone Capsules in the back, and not just one (as other artists will probably have their own different Tone Capsules in the future) and I do wish the footswitch could turn the Tone Capsule on and off. That would have been major selling point, IMO.

Tone Capsule on or off would mean two clean channels and two dirt channels would be available to choose from on the fly. But I think you just have to remove the Tone Capsule to turn it off, but we'll see what the revised manual has to say when that comes out.

9. elkman

elkman Member

I think I will just use the blues cube artist as is, with the options it has built in. With my pedal board, I should have all the tone options I would ever need.:):):)

10. davetone

davetone Member

Good point. Hopefully the Blues Cube takes pedals well! Memo to self: when they arrive in stores, bring in pedals when trying out this amp!

11. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

12. Phil W

Phil W Member

Andertons UK has stock of the BC Stage.

13. kimonostereo

kimonostereo Member

Good catch folks! I did not notice that the Stage was shipping. I guess I'm only hitting refresh on the Artist model :)

Has anyone tried one in person yet? I've actually pre-ordered the Eric Johnson Tone Capsule but not the amp. Shipping to Hawaii is too expensive, so i'll purchase it locally.

14. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

For what it's worth this is the response I received when asking for lead times last week

15. Phil W

Phil W Member

:wave Hi elkman ... you and I end up in the all the best places. :aok

16. elkman

elkman Member

:waveHi Phil W, I thought that was you,

I asked about ETA on my Artist today and got this response back.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Hello Elkman,

Many of Rolands shipments have been stuck at the west coast shipping port because of dock worker strikes. Roland has received word that things have been resolved so hopefully they should see the Blues Cube Artist amp either sometime yet this week or possibly next week. This means we should see them in about two weeks. I sincerely apologize for the delay.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I am looking forward to getting it.
    Have A good day Phil W

17. Phil W

Phil W Member

18. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

19. elkman

elkman Member