Roland blues cube artist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fancychords, Aug 15, 2016.

1. fancychords

fancychords Member

I love everything about the blues cube artist and I'm a former diehard tube guy. The only thing I wish is that the tolex covering was tougher or stronger it seems to mar easily.

ThermionicEmissions likes this.
  2. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Man, I wish I cud play one in person!

It cud be covered in Carrot Top's seat covers, all I care right now!!

:)

3. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I have been regularly gigging with Artist for a couple of months now, so far so good for me, no marring. I have a Studio Slips cover when transporting the amp. I'm sure being a light colour, I will get some marks.

Do you use an amp cover?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    rsm likes this.
  4. rsm

rsm Member

I'm always amazed at the condition of some gear; and wonder how people manage to do that, especially small combo amps. I'd expect that in 10, 20, 30+ year old amp...but an amp that's less that 2 years, even with constant gigs?!

Hey, it's your gear and your money; take care of it, use or abuse it...

5. briwinters

briwinters Member

Yah, Roland would do good to include or at least manufacture a good slip cover with the amp. I bought one from this place when i bought my Blues Cube Stage:

http://www.amplifiercovers.com

Since I take this amp out of the house all the time it's going to get some wear and tear over the years. A decent slipcover will at least minimize that and protect from rain and snow. It's not an amp I want to feel too precious about hauling around....I mean, that's kind of the whole point for buying one for me!

6. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I bought a Studio Slips cover for mine, and even still its got a few dings in it. The tolex is the softest I've ever seen on an amp. Its the only thing I don't like about it.

Otherwise, its the greatest amp I've ever owned. I've gigged it exclusively and non-stop for a while now, and every time I get a gig that I think might be challenge for it, I adjust the EQ a little and it works fantastic; as good and most times better than the dedicated tube amp I had for that job previously. recently I decided that having all these amps tie up space and sit there collecting dust was a little silly, so I moved almost all my amps off to new homes where they will get played. Orange Rockerververb 100, Mesa mini rec, Peavey classic 30, Mesa rectoverb, Marshall 1974x, and more... all gone because I prefer the Roland!

7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm pretty easy on my gear but then I look at my former touring rig and it's pretty scarred. I do think the Roland's light weight will help. A heavy amp just tends to get banged up in doorways, etc. far more than a light one. My little Quilter still looks perfect. But it's tough to be too precious about them. Especially at bigger shows where you might have stage crews moving things around. There are covers available in vinyl, canvas, and a padded Tuki. From $49 to $72. Guess I ought to pick one up.

Babaroo and Cal Webway like this.
  8. snow and steel

Last night just for giggles I gigged my last remaining tube amp - the Marshall DSL40c. On this amp I had put a VERY good set of tubes in, changed the speaker to a vintage 30 and broke it in right. The green channel dimed is amazing for that classic "Marshall sound". Oddly, I wasn't but 3 songs into the set and I was wishing for my Roland. While I will admit its true that having a Marshall is the easiest way to get the "Marshall sound", I find it is honestly not a sound I need real often, and when I do need it I get without too much headache form a Super Crunch box. I could honestly say I was missing the interaction of my guitars volume with blues cube more than I was digging my interaction with the Marshall. I had the feeling I was have "felt" it more perhaps played a little more passionately if I had my Artist.

I guess its confirmation in a way that I wen the right route. I kept this last Marshall because I thought it would be slightly different in tone if I needed it, and if anything happened to my Artist I'd have a amp to fall back on while I waited for repair. Now I'm thinking that perhaps I should ditch it too and just get a second BC!

rauchman, rsm, SRT2011 and 4 others like this.
  9. blowery

blowery Member

Thats pretty strong praise and sure to ruffle some feathers lol. Great tones can be found in Tubes/SS/digital.

Canard, rsm, fretless and 2 others like this.
  10. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Congrats, s&s!

rsm likes this.
  11. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

What's the difference between the Blues Cube Hot, the Blues Cube 60, the Blues Cube Stage, and Blues Cube Artist models?

Can the all take the tone capsule?

12. snow and steel

The hot is single channel, cannot take capsules. 30 watts.

Stage is two channel [clean and crunch], can take tone capsules, 60 watts

The artist is two channel, can take tone capsules, adds FX loop and presence knob, 80 watts.

13. darkphader

darkphader Member

What is the impedance of the speaker in the 1x12 Artist? Is it an 8 ohm or a 16 ohm speaker?

Thanks.

14. snow and steel

It doesn't say on the speaker itself, and for the life of me I can't find a reference that says what it is.

15. darkphader

darkphader Member

Decided to measure it - it's an 8 ohm speaker. Now I wonder if the 2x12 uses the same speaker or does it use two 16 ohm speakers (don't have one of these to measure)?

16. Bertiman

Bertiman Member

Clearly you found your kit. That is awesome! Great tone, reliable, low maintenance, replaceable, and a back saver. Nice! I had a DSL40c for about 2 weeks, I could never dial the brittle harshness out of it... one of my least favorite amp ownership experiences. Yet, others can make them sound great.... go figure.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    rsm likes this.
  17. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Has anybody been able to order or find the Robben Ford Tone Capsule yet? Realize Summer NAMM wasn't that long ago, but I have so far drawn a blank when trying to order one.

Thanks. :)

18. snow and steel

I'm sad to report there was a member here who ordered on and it arrived DOA - would not light up or function [and he has the other capsules and they work so it wasn't a user error thing]. He sends it back to get a replacement and they send him another one and it arrives - DOA. I'm not sure what became of the situation after that.

19. JipThePeople

JipThePeople Member

The UBTC sounds so good that I can't imagine the RF or EJ being an upgrade so I haven't looked into ordering either one. I would like hear some reviews on the RF TC.

20. bdonnelly

bdonnelly Supporting Member

I got the third...and exact same situation. I ordered all from Sweetwater. The last one their tech apparently opened it and tried it in an amp there before sending it to me. But this one doesn't light up either, although it changes the power diode to blue. The thing is I'm not sure if it's working or not as I can't really hear a discernible difference in voicing of the amp. It's like- "Maybe it's more midrangy? Maybe it's got some more headroom...not...sure..."

Then I pop back in the EJ Tone Capsule which I have, and it lights up and the amp sounds totally different.

I'm basically going to send it back at this point and give up on it. Although I might try it out one more time today...