• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Roland blues cube artist

joebloggs13

When playing at home, I have it on 0.5 watts nearly the all the time, with an occasional visit to 15 watts if I want to get crazy. When jamming, rehearsing, playing out, usually 15 or 45 watts. So 90% of its use time has been on 0.5 watt.
This is just a theory, I don't "know" electronics... but I wonder if the power attenuation feature actually stresses the power supply. Like, it would be better off to always leave it at 80W and just turn down.... I play mine with my band exclusively, and it stays on the 15W setting... but I wonder...
I have owned my BCA for close to 4 years now. I have cycled it between 0.5 to 45 many times. I mostly play it on 15. Also, I have left it on for a few days at a time, although not often. It has been super reliable for me. Granted, it doesn't get gigged....maybe a loose connection somewhere...I don't really know how complex these amps are...especially with the tone capsules...are many techs versed in the workings of a BCA?

BroomH

So I got a UBTC and I though I’d post my impressions.

The clean channel is more, well, clean. The amount of gain it is much lower than the stock model to the point that you do almost get no hair. The tone has significantly less mids and contributes to an overall feeling of “cleanness”. The individual notes are thinner (in a good way). The boost adds a bit of compression, gain, hair and volume, but it keeps the clean character.

The overdrive channel adds on top of the clean tone, with a flat overdrive with a bit of emphasis on the upper mids. It also has a bit of a bass growl going on. I am not all that familiar with the Marshall family, but this is not what I would consider a Marshall tone. It feels more like a pushed Fender with a few tweaks so it stays reasonably focused (others may disagree here and happy to be corrected). As with the clean channel, the amount of gain is much less than the stock amp. Still plenty for most styles.

As for pedals, all my modulations and delays work the same way, no better or worst. The cleaner tone allows to hear the effect better but it may not be what you are after. However, there is big difference with my Maxon OD808. In the stock amp I couldn’t make it work as the result was really mid heavy in a wonky way. With the UBTC it breaths again and works in both channels no problem. Still it isn’t the same as pushing a tube amp but now the tone is dynamic and feels great under the fingers.

I also noted that the tremolo works better for me with the UTBC. It feels more buttery. I do not think the tone has changed, just that the base tone interacts better with it.

In summary, really happy so far. I wasn’t enjoying the low-mids tone of the stock amp and now this is completely gone. I now miss the thicker tone of the original, but you can’t have it all!

I am going to leave it on for a few months to explore the tones in full.

Last edited:

BroomH

I posted a couple times above about my BCA failing recently. On two occasions, after playing for about an hour it just powered down and would not come back on till I tried again the next day. After the 2nd instance I took it in to a repair shop, but they were unable to re-create the problem. So, no sense having them take it apart on a wild goose chase. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and see how it goes.
Have you considered contacting Roland directly? In case you are not familiar with the process, you need to register your product in the Roland Backstage web (it can be second hand) and then report a problem there.

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
So I got a UBTC and I though I’d post my impressions.
I am going to leave it on for a few months to explore the tones in full.
I probably took the UBTC in and out 6 or 8 times over a 6 or 8 month period. I finally decided to leave it in and use a couple of od pedals that sound good with it. But there is no wrong answer. It's a nice sounding amp and functions nicely for me as a grab and go jam night amp.

markl

Have you considered contacting Roland directly? In case you are not familiar with the process, you need to register your product in the Roland Backstage web (it can be second hand) and then report a problem there.
Amp died again (repair shop couldn’t re-create the problem so they didn’t work on it). So I did submit a request to Roland. Got an email back saying only they could work on it, submit a request, blah blah blah. Haven’t finished the process yet but presumably I‘ll have to ship it to them. It’s out of warranty, so this will be out of pocket. I just hope the shipping and repair don’t get so high that I’d be better off buying another one.

BroomH

Amp died again (repair shop couldn’t re-create the problem so they didn’t work on it). So I did submit a request to Roland. Got an email back saying only they could work on it, submit a request, blah blah blah. Haven’t finished the process yet but presumably I‘ll have to ship it to them. It’s out of warranty, so this will be out of pocket. I just hope the shipping and repair don’t get so high that I’d be better off buying another one.
At least you have a way forward, they are the best placed to fix it.

Please, let us know how that went.

Best luck!

Last edited:

markl

My BCA is repaired. It was the switchable power supply, which I hear was a common problem early in this version of the amp. Seems to be fine now.

I’m consider the Sparkle Clean tone capsule. I have the UBTC and not wild about it as I‘m not crazy about scooped blackface-era tones.

The Sparkle Clean is billed as more mid-forward, KT66-based tone. For those who have tried it, would you agree? How would you describe the tone? Thanks.

Alan Dunn

The Sparkle Clean is billed as more mid-forward, KT66-based tone. For those who have tried it, would you agree? How would you describe the tone?
Have you tried using the UBTC on the crunch channel with the gain set between 1- 4? It's not as scooped and might get you the tone you are after.

I didn't like the Sparkle Clean. It sounded brittle. But others might like it.

markl

Have you tried using the UBTC on the crunch channel with the gain set between 1- 4? It's not as scooped and might get you the tone you are after.

I didn't like the Sparkle Clean. It sounded brittle. But others might like it.
I have not. I HATE the drive channel with the UBTC. Sounds like there’s a blanket over the speaker. I’ll give that a try but not expecting it’ll work for me.

BroomH

I have not. I HATE the drive channel with the UBTC. Sounds like there’s a blanket over the speaker. I’ll give that a try but not expecting it’ll work for me.
Do you have the presence high? I have mine at 3 o’clock, it makes the amp more lively. I didn’t have the impression that the drive had a blanket.

That said, may be a good overdrive over the clean channel could be an alternative. I am using a Suhr eclipse for my drive tones. With the gain low it gives just a hint of hair. Works wonderfully for me.

The nice thing about the UTBC is that puts the BCA in this “standard” blackface territory. Many pedal manufacturers build pedals to work on this type of amps, which helps to make it a better match.

Another nice thing I noted is that the BCA speaker holds distortion well. This also helps with overdrive pedals.

ruger9

I have and love the UBTC- it's exactly what I needed for my cover band. The clean channel is modeled after Kirk Fletcher's Super reverb... and while the SR is a blackface amp, it has more mids than say, a Deluxe Reverb. It's not a super-scooped BF tone, but I LIKE that. The lead channel is Kirk's Marshall Super Lead.

For home playing, I actually like the amp stock (no tone capsule)= tweed Bassman.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
The shared EQ isn't great between the channels on the ubtc. If you want to use the drive side, id eq it just for that. Its ako worth noting that the presence control is a cut - anything below 12 is actually a reduction. Try opening it to full and see what you think.

gearscrubs

My BCA is repaired. It was the switchable power supply, which I hear was a common problem early in this version of the amp. Seems to be fine now.

I’m consider the Sparkle Clean tone capsule. I have the UBTC and not wild about it as I‘m not crazy about scooped blackface-era tones.

The Sparkle Clean is billed as more mid-forward, KT66-based tone. For those who have tried it, would you agree? How would you describe the tone? Thanks.
Imo, the Sparkle Clean is even more scooped than the UBTC.

Michaeltn86

hello! just got a blues cube tour!!! does anyone know how to install a tone capsule in them? it's not in the manual! thanks in advance

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
hello! just got a blues cube tour!!! does anyone know how to install a tone capsule in them? it's not in the manual! thanks in advance
There should be a cutout on the underside of the amp [im guessing inside the back panel) with a cover over it held by two small screws. Remove the screws, save cover and screws in the box your capsule came in. Capsule pushes in like a tube - make sure your pins are aligned.

Michaeltn86

There should be a cutout on the underside of the amp [im guessing inside the back panel) with a cover over it held by two small screws. Remove the screws, save cover and screws in the box your capsule came in. Capsule pushes in like a tube - make sure your pins are aligned.

don't know how to post photos but it's exactly as u described. thanks. I got a demo unit, so it's time to clean it!!!!! thanks again

btw, what an awful place to place the capsule. OMG....

BroomH

Congrats on your purchase!

Did you also got the 4x10 cab? Let us know your impressions on the amp (with and without the tone capsule).

Last edited:

Michaeltn86

hi I tried multiple times at the store.

to be honest, I think the cab and the head are very fugly haha

but I have had the boss Waza amp 75 and 150 watts for over a year, and the Waza amp blows me away until now and still learning so many things.

if u are curious about Waza I posted several audio samples all recorded below 90 Dbs in the room here https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...aza-head-and-cab.2236735/page-2#post-32275529 - please note I'm not a good player, I plan to open a studio within this year, so this kind of amp is absolutely brilliant for studios, as they can sound really well at low volumes (making it possible to record with a band without bleeding and screaming in to many mics), records well, and the power consumption is well below the tube amps.

and, every time I tested the blues cube, sorry to say, I feel and think it's inferior to the Waza amp. but I thought that if I give it a chance, it might surprise me as much as the Waza amp. my perception about Waza amp went from "this is broken" to "this is freaking magic" haha.

I think the blues cab sounds great (I also tested with the Waza), but I already have 2 4x12 Waza cab, which are amazing. I also have a variety of speaker which I will try with the cube. I will also try the blues cube with bass, and I'm thinking it will work very well as the bass is so prominent and lose and the mid range is there. let's see, I will update and post samples here, but it might take a while.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom