• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Roland blues cube artist

Michaeltn86

Here's a very quick recording just to test it out.

I also tried to record the same kind of chord progression but with the EJ capsule. I suspect that my tour might be defective as the capsule doesn't light up nor the amp lights change.

please note that I'm not a great player, and this is the first time I'm trying, so sorry if it's bad haha. I will soon post the crunch channel, will record now.

there are no post processing in the tracks, just a little bit of limiting to increase the volume. recorded with peaks in my room at 90db.

I'd be happy to share the logic project if anyone is interested. eventually I will erase the files.

cube Waza stock sm57 Waza cabinet
cube stock line out

cube sm57 EJ capsule Waza cabinet
cube line out EJ capsule

3screw

The shared EQ isn't great between the channels on the ubtc. If you want to use the drive side, id eq it just for that. Its ako worth noting that the presence control is a cut - anything below 12 is actually a reduction. Try opening it to full and see what you think.
Is it a cut for the stock amp as well or just the
UBTC?

markl

I just got a New York Blues Tone Capsule. Got it for a decent price on Reverb. After a quick test run at low volume in my BCA, I really like it. It’s brighter than the stock amp (Vox-like I guess) but keeps the two channels nicely balanced in tone (as opposed to the UBTC, with which I find the drive channel to be unusable). I still like the stock “tweed” sound too, but the NYBTC adds a different dimension. I haven’t tested it yet with my brighter guitars (tele, Gretsch) but it sounds lovely with my PRSs. I look forward to turning up the volume a little!

They’re might be a UBTC available in the emporium soon..

BroomH

I just got a New York Blues Tone Capsule. Got it for a decent price on Reverb. After a quick test run at low volume in my BCA, I really like it. It’s brighter than the stock amp (Vox-like I guess) but keeps the two channels nicely balanced in tone (as opposed to the UBTC, with which I find the drive channel to be unusable). I still like the stock “tweed” sound too, but the NYBTC adds a different dimension. I haven’t tested it yet with my brighter guitars (tele, Gretsch) but it sounds lovely with my PRSs. I look forward to turning up the volume a little!

They’re might be a UBTC available in the emporium soon..
Glad you like it! Did you tried it with overdrives?

ruger9

I just got a New York Blues Tone Capsule. Got it for a decent price on Reverb. After a quick test run at low volume in my BCA, I really like it. It’s brighter than the stock amp (Vox-like I guess)
The stock amp is "supposed to be" "like" a tweed Bassman.

Alan Dunn

I find the crunch channel and boost buttons work well enough with the NYBTC that I don't need overdrive or distortion pedals with it. I just max the gain, turn on the boost and tone buttons, and ride the guitars volume to adjust the tone or switch to the clean channel.

markl

I find the crunch channel and boost buttons work well enough with the NYBTC that I don't need overdrive or distortion pedals with it. I just max the gain, turn on the boost and tone buttons, and ride the guitars volume to adjust the tone or switch to the clean channel.
I’ll give this a try.

Super Blues Cube Fan Boy / Nerd here.
Took a few days and read this entire thread! What an incredible resource for a Blues Cube Fan.

Home Studio Musician / Artist that works on personal recordings / projects.
Sole Axe is a Gibson Les Paul Original 70's Deluxe.
Purchase a Tour head about 6 weeks ago.
Playing it through a Tweed Pine 1x12 with an Eminence RedCoat Governor Speaker.
I can't tell you how much I love this thing. Its so amazing to be able to get a great tone at a volume that makes sense for my purposes.
I had been rocking Hand wired clones of a Super Reverb (head), Tweed Bassman (head), JTM45 & Vox AC30 (head). I felt that from the stock Tour I was able to get the tones I loved the most from the Bassman & JTM45 no problem.
I soon added a NYBTC which easily gave me the Top Boost tones I love from the Vox.
Next was the UBTC which I got this weekend. Its literally the sound of my SR head...without the deafening volume. The Crunch channel on the UBTC is a bit closer to the JTM45 tbh...which I love!
I eventually ditched the tube amps....no need for them. The Tour is just that good imho.

I'm running at .5 watt setting. Regardless of tone capsule the Clean channel is dimed. The Crunch Volume is also dimed with the Gain dialed in to taste depending on my needs.
Tone and Boost active typically.
If I want clean I just dial back the Guitar Volume.
Since each channel has its own EQ i tend to dial them in for the bridge and neck pickup respectively.
I almost always play in middle position but I tend to emphasize either bridge or neck pickup so having "preset" EQ for each configuration really helps.

I plan on collecting the remaining Tone Capsules as I'm really curious about them.
It seems like the Eric Johnson might be very similar to the Ultimate Blues as its the combination of a BF Fender and Marshall...only different models. A Deluxe Reverb and some Marshall....not sure which model.
The Robben Ford is his dumble presumably....though I get mixed takes on the actual sound of this one.
The Sparkle Clean is becoming more interesting to me. Can I get some crunch from this one if I dime it? Haha I can't wait to find out.

I'd also like to add that since transitioning fully to the Tour I've stopped using drive pedals entirely.
The only pedal I run into the amp is a JHS little black buffer to maintain clarity (aka highs / treble) when lowering volume to clean up the sound. I have a JRAD Immortal Analog / Digital hybrid Delay in the first FX loop and thats it.
Its set to about as short a delay as it goes w/very little repeats. That combined w/the Reverb dialed in at about 9 o'clock (or 3 on the dial) and I'm good.
Its neat having a second FX loop..but for now I don't use it.

Paul Conway

I'd also like to add that since transitioning fully to the Tour I've stopped using drive pedals entirely.
The only pedal I run into the amp is a JHS little black buffer to maintain clarity (aka highs / treble) when lowering volume to clean up the sound. I have a JRAD Immortal Analog / Digital hybrid Delay in the first FX loop and thats it.
Its set to about as short a delay as it goes w/very little repeats. That combined w/the Reverb dialed in at about 9 o'clock (or 3 on the dial) and I'm good.
Its neat having a second FX loop..but for now I don't use it.
Interested in the buffer....

Interested in the buffer....
Strictly speaking any buffered bypass pedal would suffice. However since I'm not messing w/pedals really into the front of the amp so a stand alone buffer does just fine.
I prefer the clean sound I get from turning my Guitar volume down into a "loud" / crunchy amp vs Guitar Volume Max into a "quieter" / Clean amp.
To my ear it just sounds better.
Mind you i'm never going pristine clean. "Clean" for me always has some....peach fuzz to it.

I love everything about the blues cube artist and I'm a former diehard tube guy. The only thing I wish is that the tolex covering was tougher or stronger it seems to mar easily.
Eh .. the easier to relic .. Eh just transport it with a thick cover

Roland builds just great stuff .. I was something of a tube snob .. Though i did buy a 78 JC-120 early in my sojourn into guitar playing .. The price was right .. Couldnt pass it up .. BUT .. It quickly impressed me with all its capabilities (amazing pedal platform/nice and flat so its great for recording)

The Blues Cubes are an amazing accomplishment for Roland ...it does give warmth much like a tube amp .. Is plenty powerful like a tube amp .. Though it falls a little short of a tube amp, it does give a quasi-sag .. Hugely more reliable than a tube amp

Last edited:

Paul Conway

The only thing it lacks, to me is the last 10% of 3-D presence and clarity that a decent valve amp has (I have two to compare with). Stock, or with the UB, there's a certain midrange thing you can't dial out.

joebloggs13

Eh .. the easier to relic .. Eh just transport it with a thick cover

Roland builds just great stuff .. I was something of a tube snob .. Though i did buy a 78 JC-120 early in my sojourn into guitar playing .. The price was right .. Couldnt pass it up .. BUT .. It quickly impressed me with all its capabilities (amazing pedal platform/nice and flat so its great for recording)

The Blues Cubes are an amazing accomplishment for Roland ...it does give warmth much like a tube amp .. Is plenty powerful like a tube amp .. Though it falls a little short of a tube amp, it does give a quasi-sag .. Hugely more reliable than a tube amp
Former Blues cube Artist owner. Reading these latest posts has me feeling a bit nostalgic. I actually surfed around for one...LOL...I did replace my Artist with a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb....and couldn't be happier. That Artist served me well tho.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom