• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Roland blues cube artist

Jim234

Although the Artist is the only amp I gig. Tone wise I slightly prefer the BC Hot. There is something about the nastiness of that amp which I can't quite achieve with the Artist. I think if I had my time again I would have buy 2 hots to gig with. Having gigged with the hot a few times I find that its not quite enough, the Artists bigger cabinet plus all the extra options (boosts and true channel switching) edges it in that regard.

Hey Guys,

There isn't a whole lot here about the Robben Ford Tone Capsule (RFTC) so I thought I would give my impressions.

All I can say is that if the Stock sound is similar to a Tweed Bassman this is similar to a Brownface Bassman for sure.
The texture of the breakup in both the clean and crunch channels is VERY Brownface like.
I know this is supposed to be based on Robben's famous Dumble ODS which is itself based on a Brownface Piggyback Bassman head.
I'm not a Dumble guy, I don't normally go after Dumble type drives or the Clone amps etc...
I don't even really know what a Dumble drive would be as their are literally no two Dumble amps that are alike. Are they all trying to sound like Robben's ODS?

In any case I do know Brownface Fender quite well. I've had quite a bit of time on a 1963 brown Fender concert. Actually its my bedroom / chill noodling at night amp. I've also played a piggyback Bassman that I would gather is similar to the one that inspired Robben's ODS. In any case I feel I know what Brownface Overdrive sounds like...and it is literally this RFTC.
Brownface OD is kind of gnarly and fuzz like. To me its very unique....closer to Tweed than anything in the BF era. Though its not quite Tweed either.

The characteristics of the Blues Cube w/the RBTC remind me of the Stock amp. In so much that the Clean and the Crunch channels are related. In that way that the Crunch channel is just the clean w/more gain...you know?
This RBTC is like that.
I always tend to run w/my EQ at Buddy Guy settings. AKA everything Dimed except Bass which is at 0. I sometimes dial the Trebble back a hair.
With the Clean channel volume dimed and Boost on....its got lots of gnarl and bite. Though it cleans up nice when you roll the guitar volume back.
Crunch channel volume dimed and Gain to taste w/Boost always on. I just get more of the bite I was getting in the Clean channel. Its awesome.

Anyways thats my take on the RFTC. Its probably not for everyone as Browface era amps don't get much love. So much so that when people are hunting down that Dumble ODS sound they don't seem to realize its really the Brownface sound. Thats my guess at least.

Well I just had my first genuine disappointment with something Blues Cube related.
I've been collecting the Tone Capsules (have the NYBTC, UBTC & RFTC) and recently picked up the Eric Johnson. As I was really loving the RFTC I didn't immediately swap it out for the new EJTC.
Though this morning I did decide to give the ol' EJTC a whirl ....and....nothing.
The thing simply didn't light up. The other three work fine. Light up and change the tone of the Amp as advertised. This EJTC I received must be defective.
No Orange Light and the amp is in stock mode.
Major disappointment as there are no more on EBAY currently shipping from the US. I'll have to order from Japan.
Such a strange thing too....for such a relatively simple little thing to just....not work.

It's a bummer.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just going on my memory,but I think there were some defective EJ tone capsules that had to be returned.
I remember this too, but probably more importantly was that the EJ tone capsule seemed to be the "least liked" for those that received one that worked.

Descriptions of woody and muddy vaguely come to mind for the EJ....

Last edited:
I remember this too, but probably more importantly was that the EJ tone capsule seemed to be the "least liked" for those that received one that worked.

Descriptions of woody and muddy vaguely come to mind for the EJ....
There were complaints about the Marshall voiced Crunch channel. I heard similar complaints about the Crunch channel on the Ultimate Blues. Which is funny because I LOVE the Crunch channel on the UBTC...so I figured why not to the EJTC. Also I'm a completionist. Getting the sparkle clean even thought I rarely if ever play clean

Jim234

Time for a change for this autumn/ winter gigs....

Finally decided to install the NYTC and use in anger. Nothing wrong with the stock amp of course but I kept looking at British tonal ball park amps so it made sense to switch to the NYTC and see how it went...

Did a charity gig with the BC Hot a few weeks ago. Got some great compliments on the sound. Downside was I felt that it did not fill the stage as well as the Artist. It was mic'd up, the fold backs were rubbish.

Paul Conway

Time for a change for this autumn/ winter gigs....

Finally decided to install the NYTC and use in anger. Nothing wrong with the stock amp of course but I kept looking at British tonal ball park amps so it made sense to switch to the NYTC and see how it went...

Did a charity gig with the BC Hot a few weeks ago. Got some great compliments on the sound. Downside was I felt that it did not fill the stage as well as the Artist. It was mic'd up, the fold backs were rubbish.
So ...what did you think of the NYTC, Jim?

Jim234

So ...what did you think of the NYTC, Jim?
Live, don't know we will see Saturday. In rehearsals this is where I am at.

I had to drop the lead channel volume to match the clean. I think it breaks up earlier on the clean, which has taken a bit of getting used to when riding the guitar volume. It definitely reacts differently to the stock amp although it still has that stock undertone. I guess I just loved the stock amp tones that I just left it in the box after several previous trials. Lately got a terrible itch for something more British tonally. I was desperate not to buy another amp, which frankly I did not need in the house. So it made sense to give it a serious try... Let's see how it goes. Doubt the band will notice or audience for that matter...

Paul Conway

There were complaints about the Marshall voiced Crunch channel. I heard similar complaints about the Crunch channel on the Ultimate Blues. Which is funny because I LOVE the Crunch channel on the UBTC...so I figured why not to the EJTC. Also I'm a completionist. Getting the sparkle clean even thought I rarely if ever play clean
Sparkle Clean isn't really all that clean..

Jim234

Live, don't know we will see Saturday. In rehearsals this is where I am at.

I had to drop the lead channel volume to match the clean. I think it breaks up earlier on the clean, which has taken a bit of getting used to when riding the guitar volume. It definitely reacts differently to the stock amp although it still has that stock undertone. I guess I just loved the stock amp tones that I just left it in the box after several previous trials. Lately got a terrible itch for something more British tonally. I was desperate not to buy another amp, which frankly I did not need in the house. So it made sense to give it a serious try... Let's see how it goes. Doubt the band will notice or audience for that matter...
Thus far at proper volumes...
Clean channel
Stock 1 NYTC 0
Clean Channel Edge of Break Up
Stock 1 NYTC 1
Clean Channel Boost
Stock 1 NYTC 1
Lead Channel
Stock 0 NYTC 1
Lead Channel Boost
Stock 0 NYTC 0 - never like the boost on lead.

Clean I have never been a vox person frankly, but it shines on the dirty tones for sure. Just a little more articulation and tighter bottom. Roll on Saturday...

Alan Dunn

Clean I have never been a vox person frankly, but it shines on the dirty tones for sure. Just a little more articulation and tighter bottom. Roll on Saturday...
I feel the same way. The NYTC on the crunch channel does the AC30 top boost thing really well.

Jim234

So the gig was great. Busy pub with folks dancing from the start... Ok and more importantly NYTC.

Thoughts still the same great for the OD songs, but less so on the clean. I need to drop the volume on the clean channel a bit and keep experimenting with riding the volume on the guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom