Roland Cloud

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by mleffler, Dec 23, 2017.

1. mleffler

mleffler Member

I keep getting email ads for this service. Today I saw that they put up a soft JV-1080, so I read through the FAQs. What does everyone think of this model (subscription soft synths)? I'm not really seeing anything compelling here - maybe I'm missing something.

2. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

Isn’t part of the idea that they’re also plug-out synths that work with the System-8 and System-1 keyboards?

3. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Love the idea of Roland VSTs. Hate that it’s a subscription sevice.

eigentone and rsm like this.
  4. mleffler

mleffler Member

Yeah. One of the FAQ answers confirms that if your subscription lapses, you lose all access to their VSTs. So if you’ve built a track in logic using a Roland synth, for example, you’d have to substitute something else as a sound source if you wanted to continue working on that track.

5. rsm

rsm Member

I dig Roland, but I'll not pay for a subscription service, plenty of software synths available at many different price points; and I own both a System-1 and System-8.

6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I had the same question. Maybe RSM knows.

Even if they do, you're still just renting, although you get one permanent license for each year you subscribe. So to keep the nine instruments in the “Legendary” series, it’s going to take nine years and $2160. No thanks.

I really hate that lots of SW, not just Roland, is forcing this type of licensing lately.

7. Devnor

Devnor Member

The cloud subscription is totally separate and unrelated to the System series. I kinda like the subscription idea because I'm not paying for software when I'm not using it. Like right now, too busy gigging and no time for my studio. My cloud is on hold. Winter is always slow so next month I'm going to pick it back up for the season. This works for me because I'm not 100% reliant on software synths for music creation, I'm a hardware synth guy.

sixesandsevens likes this.