Roland Cube 30 for an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by 89strat, Nov 27, 2019.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

I have a taylor 214ce that I'm bringing out for a gig. I only have electric guitar amps, and this does not sound good through it. I don't want to go direct into the PA because I want to use some of the effects on my pedalboard that already going into a Fender Blues Junior. I have access to a Roland Cube 30, which I can split off of my pedalboard for acoustic parts instead of buying another amp. Has anyone used a Roland Cube 30 with an acoustic guitar?

I used to use a Fender Deluxe Reverb live, and the acoustic actually sounded decent through that. Wish I didn't get rid of it.

2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I bet using the Roland will be fine

But why can't you just plug acoustic into pedalboard into ( I play electric into pedals into BJ too) into PA mixer ?
    It's all line level signal, right?

3. 89strat

89strat Member

I was thinking of placing an a/b box at the end of the pedalboard with one line to my amp and the other to the PA. This way I can just switch from amp to PA with the guitars.

4. gmajor7th

gmajor7th Member

I have a Roland Cube 30 that I use for practice. For gigs, I use a Fishman Artist. On the clean channel of the Roland, it is ok for acoustic. Still kind of mid-rangey. If u have an eq pedal and scoop out some of the mids, it will definitely help with getting more of an acoustic sound. Hope this helps.

Daytona57 likes this.
  5. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Depends on how "acoustic" a sound you want. It won't be anything close to a good acoustic heard unamplified, but a lot of the time that's not what's wanted anyway, particularly if you're playing mostly rhythm, or want fundamentals without overtones and harmonics. Honestly, the range of amplified sounds that people call "acoustic" are so incredibly wide -- from rubber-band "boing" to icy, crispy high harmonics -- that hardly any of it is really close to "acoustic" acoustic. If you just need a reasonable tone, then that simple rig should do it even though it will not yield something all that close to an unamplified (acoustic) sound. I do stuff like that all the time (soundhole pickup into a simple tube amp) when I'm lazy and nothing fancier is really needed anyway.

6. Brad2

Brad2 Member

Well, it is obvious that the topic starter is aware of the fact that an acoustic guitar not amplified sounds better isn't it? What he wants to know if a Cube 30 is suitable when it comes to amplify an acoustic guitar.
    Well in my experience a solid state amp works better in this case than a tube amp cause a solid state amp doesn't colour the sound the way a tube amp does.

7. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I have a Cube 80GX that is actually really good sounding for an acoustic. It is the big brother to the Cube 30. I use the JC clean setting which is pretty hi/fi sounding and I assume that is the tone you are probably going for. Take advantage of the on-board effects too for your acoustic and it will work out great. I have tried a Fender DRRI in my younger days and this worked out to be a passable sound... the Roland is a significant step up from this and much closer to an acoustic amp.

8. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

I've also had good luck with Roland Cube series
    they sound great and are practically indestructible
    best of luck

9. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

I have a Roland Micro Cube, battery powered, for when i need a bit more volume in an acoustic setting, without a PA.