Roland Cube 30X loud enough?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by joek86, Sep 6, 2008.

1. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I want to buy this amp for my son for home use. He does jam with a drummer, will it be loud enough?

~Joe

2. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Nope, played too loud it will also fart out a bit. I took mine back and got the Cube 60. Love it.

3. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Yes, it is loud enough for that. yeah, it's only got a 10" speaker, but isis light and portable and he can push-bike it to his mates place easy.
    A great choice for a teenage kid.

4. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

My son had a Cube 30 but the drummer in his band is a hard hitter and when playing together with the other guitarist (playing through a 100 Fender FM212 solid state)and the bass player, he was overpowered, specially when using single coil guitars. Also, the Cube 30 sounded small and when pushed hard it sounded bad.

The problem ended when I bought him a Hot Rod Deluxe. I would say the Cube 60 is a better option than the Cube 30.

5. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

No, I tried it with one band I play tele with that is acoustic guitar, drums with brushes, stand-up bass. Practice is OK, but on stage it's just not enough. Still love it for practice though!

6. willyboy

willyboy Member

i use mine for teaching and doing small quieter rehearsals where i don't have to lug my normal rig into. that said, the cube 30 gets completely buried in most situations with drums, bass and another guitar though - and especially with younger players who haven't learned how to play dynamically. as others have said the speaker starts to break up in a really unpleasant way at the upper range of its volume level. it's a great little practice amp for the buck but it just won't cut it in most playing situations i have encountered. IMO 50 watts is a more all around ideal.

7. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

Try Cube 60, Sure it is gigable amp & it sound OK at low volume

8. burchyk

burchyk Member

i use it as a practice amp, but its not loud at all

9. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

If you get the Cube 60 he'll probably be satisfied for a long time. The 30 will probably come up short pretty fast.

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

It's plenty loud if you're playing with a really good drummer that knows how to play without bashing, and really good bassist/other guitarist that know how to sit in the mix. That said, most folks that your kid is going to play with, at least at first, are going to play LOUD.... LOUD.

I have to say, I really like the Cubes a lot, but I just played a Kustom HV30 for a few hours and was VERY impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a HV30 or 65 if your son is looking for great cleans, great dirt, and great classic rock tones. If he's into metal, the Cube wins out for the metal tones.

Aside from metal, I don't think you could go wrong with a Cube 60 or HV65.

Did I mention I'm really starting to dig the Kustom HV line?

11. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I'm thinking about buying this amp to use at church. It's smallish 100-200 people and we use an electric drum kit.

Whatcha think?

(I just got a RP500.......if I don't like it, I'm going to try a Cube30/DL4 combo. I'm trying to avoid having more than 1 or 2 units on the floor)

12. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Cube 30X = $245
    Cube60 = $299 (while they last)

13. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Cube 60 is the safe bet for sure, it has power to spare, great sound and tone for a SS amp, and a huge bottom end for its size. And at $299 a steal. Guys will be snatching them up for gig backups. It also takes pedals really well since it does clean in spades.