Roland Cube 60 OMG!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesdoc, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I had some MF credit so I picked up a Roland Cube 60 for (yet another) small, cheap amp backup. But holy crap, this thing is amazing!!!!! No, it's not gonna replace all the objects of gear page obsession, but it sounds very good, can be very loud, with a simply amazing sonic spectrum coming out of such a little box. And with a 1 12 ext cab, it's unbelievable. The lead tones contained are quite useable but I found the best lead tone for my purposes is on the Blackface selection of the lead channel with my V-Stack classic in front. I've had it less than 24 hrs so I suppose you could call this a honeymoon (pedal level, NOT really amp level.......:rolleyes: ), but wtf, I had to say something. The HC reviews, fwiw, are mostly very positive and often from guys who have decades in playing. I think Roland did a great job with this little powerhouse. It's not perfect, but for the price of a pedal, I can get a lot of mileage out of it. If you did the 'behind the curtain' test, you'd (ok, I'd) be fooled. Then when you see how tiny this thing is, it's mindboggling!!!!!!!

OK guys, have at it :Spank

jon

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

And there is nothing wrong with that!

Vinni Smith uses one of those; perhaps when I need another grab/go setup I'll look at one.

3. bluesdoc

Yes Scott, Jim Soloway uses one also, but just clean for his 7 string jazz. I used his when I first tried out the Swan that I bought, but didn't fully appreciate its capabilities, and I was VERY focused on the Swans I was trying out.

I think Vinni uses or used the Cube 30. I recall his raving about it a few years ago. The Cube 30 is pretty cool, but the 60 is very different and truly competitive with other 1 12s in terms of volume and texture. It just dumbfounds me that so much sound could come from something this small. Just big enough to hold a 12" spkr. Front ported with a small slit open in the rear. But it's dialed in. I'm going to take it to our rehearsal space and run it through my THD cab and see if I can peel some paint.... :eek:

jon

4. somedude

somedude Member

I have a MicroCube, and for a small battery powered amp it's pretty damn good and makes a great practice amp.

5. OOG

OOG Member

i really like mine
    bought it for the blackface model
    i've never heard a SS amp sound this natural/warm
    excellent for the wet side of a wet/dry rig too

6. slotools

slotools Member

What tubes are you guys running?? just kidding.....
    I use mine for jc120 clean and switch to blackface on demand.

I needed portable, and I really wanted to spend more........

7. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I've been telling people what a great amp this is since it first came out. Over the last 12 years, I've owned numerous Jazz Chorus models (including a few twice), an Evans, a pair of Acoustic Images (both head an combo), and at least four Polytones. The Cube 60 is a better sounding amp than any of them. Throw in the weight and the price and for anyone looking for something less than boutique quality cleans, it starts to become pretty close to a no-brainer. I'm getting curious now what a pair of them would sound like together in a wet/dry setup.

8. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

man... I just got finished jamming a little using my cube 60 with my ibanez af105 and got to turn it up a little while I jammed along to my stereo. It really does sound good.

When I first got it, all I was using was the JC channel. While that does sound really good and super clean, the modelling channel is surprisingly good. The black face is a little warmer than the JC like Jim has said, and I'm starting to prefer it myself too. The tweed channel is nice, but has more gain than I would have expected...which would probably make it good for some groovin rock stuff. I'm just discovering how it does sound better through its cab than going direct and listening with headphones. Oh and if you like to mess around with heavy gain stuff, the metal, classic stack and r-fier settings cover the whole ground well too...I was messing aorund with my peavey wolfgang stoptail on them.

9. bluesdoc

I took mine to our rehearsal space and ran it through my THD 2 12. Wow!!!!!! Plenty of paint peeling volume if/when needed. I'm taking it to a party jam tomorrow and the rock band rehearsal on Monday to see how it really sits in a mix. Although the high gain modeled sounds are quite good, there's enough digital artifact that I'm tending to prefer running my V-Stack in front and it would never replace any of my great tube amps. But it's no slouch....... :)

jon

10. Curt

Curt Member

jon,

After listening to Vinni Smith's songs, I went out and picked up a Cube. I agree, it's a fantastic amp. WELL worth the money.

11. telelion

telelion Member

It sounds very good with acoustic guitars as well which is seldom the case with regular guitar amplifiers no matter what the cost. To me it also beats out the Pods, etc. because it can be used as a real amp, a recording amp, a direct amp, a backup amp, and is good for acoustic guitars. And good effects especially like Bluesdoc's approach where you throw another gain pedal or two in the mix. Maybe a 2-12 in stereo would be the next step and make it as small and light as possible.

12. bluesdoc

Ideally, this amp should come with a serial loop. That way, you could put dly, etc in. As it is, there's limitations in the time eff dept. You have to choose either rev or delay. And you choose one of chr/flang/phaser/trem, but for the price and compactness, it's well worth it. I'm most impressed with the clean tones, both the clean side (JC 120 type) and the blackface on the modeled side. It just sounds twice as big as it (physically) is.

Curt, do you have the 30 or the 60? I think Vinni's original ravings were over the 30, which I also have. But the 30 does NOT have the acoustic/sonic presence of the 60. The 30 is fun - the 60 is serious... :YinYang

jon

13. sotto

sotto Member

Anybody played the 60 off head to head with one of the Vox AD30VT or AD50VT modelling amps?? How do they compare?

14. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

If the FX were footswitchable in and out of the channels, I'd own one.

They are a great sounding amp.

15. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Jon, I've been using the 60 for rehearsal, you're right, a great little box. I think if Roland expanded this amp and gave more control over the models and FX, it would definitely compete with Line 6 and Vox.

The Dyna-amp model is fantastic, never heard a solid state amp "clean up" like that, and the amp has plenty of whoomph for a 1x12.

I still have my Trademark 60, albeit a different creature, these are probably two of the best non-tube 1x12's out there.

16. kselbee

kselbee Member

Anyone have any clips?

17. Curt

Curt Member

[QUOTE=bluesdoc

Curt, do you have the 30 or the 60? I think Vinni's original ravings were over the 30, which I also have. But the 30 does NOT have the acoustic/sonic presence of the 60. The 30 is fun - the 60 is serious... :YinYang

jon

Jon, I bought the 30. Now, after reading your (and others) very positive review of the the 60, I'll be sure to go check one out. I have feeling that you'll see a Cube 30 up for sale in the Emporium soon!

Curt

18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Jon.....how's it sound/feel compared to the Crate Power Block? Tubier-like? I'm impressed with the Crate but if the Roland is one step closer to the tube tone & feel I'll have to check one out. The Crate ain't bad but it doesn't quite want to make me throw away my little glass bottles yet ;).

19. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I have one too. Actually I have 2 cubes; a Micro and a 60.

Try this...

Run a cable from the 'headphone out' of the Cube60 into a looping device and out of that into a tube power amp ( efx return of a tube amp? ). That way you can setup a nice rhythm with one amp model, loop it, and take your lead with another. It's a great way to enjoy the cube. By running the signal through the tubes, you get a really nice, warm version of the Cube 60. Not that it's cold or sterile sounding on it's own. You guys know what I mean...

The channels,efx,dly/rev are all footswitchable. There is a 'tuner out'. It's pretty awesome for $345!

When my Heritage BritonII arrives, I will compare it with the 'Brit Combo' model on the cube(my favorite) to see just how close they are.

20. bluesdoc

Oh man, 6 pages of amp lustery gone with the wind............ o well...........

Still love mine, Vaughn likes his and ???????????

jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.