Roland Cube 60 vs. Tech 21 Trademark 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratzrus, Jun 20, 2006.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

People seem to love both of these amps. Any opinions about which one is better?

stratzrus

2. Jazz guru

Jazz guru Member

I have them both and they are both great.
    But if i had to stick with just one it would be the Tech 21. Lots of reasons for the Tech 21 - such as works with effects better ( i use a GT-6 at times thru the tech 21) - the built in effects on the Cube are cheesy - easy to make the tech 21 more powerful with a power engine - i love the boost function for solos on the tech 21. The jc120 and blackface on the Cube are good the others dont do much for me. The Cube will make a strange noise at times when playing loud - its the air rushing thu the slots as it is almost a closed back amp. The tech 21 has its own sound, and sounds similar to the models it tries to emulate, it has more tonal flexability. The ability for the Tech 21 to go with a balenced out to the board is a plus as well as it sounds like it should.
    But hey I am a geezer (56) and play jazz, blues and 60's rock. My main gigging amp is a Fender Vibro King. So I may be a bit more mellow than you and your needs.
    Try them both and get the one you like the best.
    Oh yeah the service from Tech 21 is top notch - can call and directly talk with people who know thier product!!!

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I just played the cube 60 today in the store and was very very impressed. The effects on the thing are not that great...but I figure they're there if you're just jamming w/ guitar and amp and want some options. I brought one of my od pedals with me and it took it very well.

4. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

not bashing, but I didnt like the tech21 60 (but a zillion peeps do).... albeit their support was very good... that amp hurt my ears.. I'm starting wonder if I had a lemon.. but its solid state... maybe I didnt spend enough time with it......

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I found some good things about the Tech21 Trademark 60 but didn't end up keeping mine.. I had one a long time ago . It sounded better through a few other speakers than the stock version and if I played in something like a Santana-style band I think I could've used it. SERIOUSLY... It sounded similar to my Barber Burn Unit pedal I had at the time and did some nice clean funk-style sounds too.. Give me any of my other amps pretty much any day though and I have a boat load of amps... That's a mixed testimonial if you've every heard one, but it wasn't a keeper for me. I think for some guys it'd be a killer amp though , and it's EXTREMELY Lightweight which and low maintenance which surely are plusses. Good luck

Eric

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

For all my raving about the Cube 60 on the other thread, I really only use/like the amp for the clean and blackface w/ or w/o reverb. That's it. Any and everything else goes in front, ie, lead pedals, which I far prefer to the lead tones in the C60. But just for the clean sound, it's a keeper. Need more volume? Add an ext cab or run the line out to a slave amp (like a PE!). I used to have a TM 60 and just like this better within the context of the above.

jon

7. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

I think there is no contest between the two. The Trademark 60 is one the best solid state amps out there. Throw in it's excellent XLR/Direct out and you've got the makings of a classic.
    The Roland Cube, I just don't get what everyone is so excited about. I retried it after reading so many comments on this forum about how great it is. The clean is ok but nothing special and the only amp simulations on the lead channel that are any good are the metal and rectifier ones! And they are far from anything I would use. I don't play metal but they're pretty good if you do.To each his own I guess.

8. stratzrus

After having read continuing raves about the Cube 60 I spent some time with it last night and was pleasantly surprised.

The clean tones and R-fier tones were quite good for a solid state amp at 2 A.M. apartment levels, and at volume levels where the Microcube is no longer happy, the Cube 60 is barely breathing. I also like the British Combo model for bluesy/classic rock solos and with the echo added (frustrating that you can't switch from echo to reverb with the footswitch) I immediately start to have Satriani/Vai type delusions when playing my whammy bar Strat.

Even though it has merit as a practice amp, I still couldn't imagine gigging or rehearsing with it though, the tone suffers when cranked. Maybe a Jazz gig in a small restaurant (I hear Pat Martino has one, so who am I to disparage), but at volume I still think that it is sorely lacking in tone when compared to tube amps like a BFDR with the proper pedals, and at the same wattage a Prosonic destroys it volume-wise. (Probably not a fair comparison, the Cube 60 is so much lighter than the Prosonic.)

I decided that I like the Cube 60 enough to keep it, but still want to get a Trademark 60 and do my own comparison.

I'm kicking myself for watching "The Hills Have Eyes" last night and forgetting to monitor a "like new" Trademark 60 auction on fleabay. It went for $199. It's living proof that sane adults shouldn't such films...

stratzrus

9. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I have both and actually have played them both today at work, so I think I'm pretty qualified to answer this question! :D

I've said it before in another thread, they are very different animals, so, in some aspects hard to compare. Digital vs. Analog. Effects vs. none. Footswitch included vs. none.

I think the trademark 60 sounds/feels more real and organic, and holds up pretty well under high volume. Really, the only two advantages for the Cube is that the different models are accessible without turning knobs, and it has FX.

You can, and I have, gigged with the Trademark 60 all by itself with it's boost/channel/fx accesible with the included footswitch which runs on an instrument or speaker cable, throw a delay pedal in the loop and i'm good.

The Cube to me is more of an "around the house low volume with everything" amp, the trademark is the "I can hang either with the band or with the tv at home" amp.

10. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

How do the cleans compare? I have a trademark 10, and I find the cleans to be less than stellar, where as the roland has a reputation for having great cleans.

11. landru64

landru64 Member

the trademark 60 is way more usable than a 10 (or even a 30). there's not much headroom in a 10 or 30, but the tm 60 can do cleans fine. the thing most notable about tm60s is they've been around a long time and are workhorses. the LA Music Academy uses them 24/7 for their classrooms and they virtually never break. with the previous amps (carvin, Hughes & Kettner & others) amps broke all the time.

12. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I have a Trademark 10 and a Trademark 60 and they are very different animals. The 10's a practice amp, and it's easy to get in the neighbourhood of just about any recorded tone at bedroom volumes without much bother once you learn your way around the GT-2-based switch/EQ setup. The 60's really a full bore gigging amp, but you have to work to find your tones in it (or at least I did!) because the controls aren't exactly "conventional". That being said, I love both; my only other amp at this time is a vintage Deluxe Reverb I've owned almost since new - it's a 1979-80 model, but it's been modded quite a bit... None of these amps is going anywhere! Bottom line, the Trademark 60 is a great amplifier, period, and I've heard a few so-called "tube amps" in my day that couldn't hold a candle to it in terms of tone.

my 2ยข, ymmv, etc.

13. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I own a Trademark 30, which replaced the TM 10. Before buying it, I tested a used TM 60. And I agree completely with what you say, I found it much easier to get good tones on the TM 30 than on its big brother.

I tested a Cube 30 when shopping for my amp, and honestly I don't think Roland can offer much competition against Tech 21, tone-wise. I would agree with the earlier poster who described his Tech 21 as "more real and organic".

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I think the cleans are definitely comparable, again, the Trademark 60 sounds more 'real', 'organic', or whatever you want to call it. I have to admit, the Cube's cleans sound pretty good too though.

15. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I've had the Trademark 60, the Cube 60, and the "Blues" Cube 60 and the BC-60 was the best of the three to me. Sounded the most like a tube amp, 2 "usable" channels, 3band EQ on each channel, great deep cleans, built in OD that can be set from just a bit of breakup to high gain, lush reverb and.......I just thought it looked cooler.

16. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

The TM60 is not a particularly loud clean amp, but the comment stands that it can be extended with a PE60. Also, the new 2x12 version should have some extra oomph.

The TM60 is also US-made, and Tech21 does have a great service department. You can also buy a used one and resell it without losing anything more than the shipping. Don't bother buying new.

As far as cleans go, it depends on whether you want more of a Fender clean (TM60) or the JC120 clean. Different animals.

I think the Cubes do metal sounds much better than the TM60. Plus, the TM60's Channel 2 is not especially organic or pleasant sounding. There is also a lot of noise at higher gain levels. Still, Channel 1 covers a lot of Fender territory and can get pretty aggressive on its own. The 60-watter does cover a lot more tonal territory than the 10, 30, and 120 (based on the GT-2) models, but it won't get as Mesa-like as the "California" setting without some serious tweaking. The reverb is average.

After owning Trademarks for a couple of years, I finally tired of their lack of dynamics. YMMV.

17. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Or just buy two TM60s like I did and chain them when you need to - for the price they go for on the used market, you'd probably be pressed trying to find a PE60 any cheaper...

And for the record, just one of my TM60s can hang comfortably with our LOUD drummer during rehearsals, so in terms of clean headroom, I don't think it does too bad, but in big rooms I'm glad I've got the two of 'em...

18. stratzrus

This has been really helpful.

From what I'm gathering, the Cube 60 may be better for me as a bedroom practice amp, particularly since I'm into the R-Fier sound late at night.

The Trademark 60 may be the better choice for my sons to use in their first band. I'm still hoping to compare the two side-by-side, but the aggregate of the above comments paints a pretty good picture.

Thanks, stratzrus

19. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I have a question on the extension speaker jack on the TM 60,from tech21 website if I read correct ,I can run a 16ohm extension speaker with the stock one,making it 30watts to each speaker correct? This wil not make the amp louder but give alil more headroom and alittle bigger sounding yes?

20. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

After reading so much about them, I finally got to play the Cube60 and was not really impressed with it. The clean was ok, but the rest was eh. I'd definitely rather use a TM60 in a live setting. And I'd really like to try that new 4x10 version they have that weighs like 42lbs. That's just nuts. I remember bypassing the speaker on the TM60 and running it to a THD cab one time and just being floored by it. I wonder what it would sound like through some other nice cabs. Wish they made that thing in a small footprint head version.

This clip of the TM60 still makes me giggle every time I hear it:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/TM-60_4.MP3

Reminds me of a Weird Al song or something :)