Roland Cube XL "Buzz" Issue

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by FenderGuy53, Feb 27, 2012.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Are any of you guys with the Roland Cube XL's experiencing “The Buzz"?

I spent several hours at GC yesterday and played both the Fender Mustang II and the Roland Cube 40XL. It was the Cube 40XL that grabbed my attention.

Although I DID listen for "The Buzz", I didn't hear one; however, there was lots of competition for air space, so perhaps it got lost in the mix!

Has anyone figured out the definitive source of "The Buzz" and the corrective action needed to cure this malaise? Is the issue confined to a particular run or time period? Has Roland been apprised of this issue, and if so, has there been an official response? Or is this all much ado about nothing?

I'm ready to order a Cube 40XL, but not if I have to put up with extraneous noise…

2. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

How many threads do we need on this? Come on man! There's already like two of them! :D

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Okay, I contacted Roland this morning, regarding the "buzz issue" with the Cube XL series amps. I had a reply awaiting me when I arrived home this evening (it's encouraging to know that they are responsive to such inquiries).

Here's what I sent to Roland:

RE: Support Request #91230
    Product: CUBE-40XL
    Subject: Roland Cube 40XL Has Audible Buzz When Powered On

Question: I am considering the purchase of a Roland Cube 40XL; however, after visiting several of my favorite gear forums, there appears a recurrent theme regarding a "buzz issue" with new Cube XL amps. When the Cube XL is powered on, an audible buzz sound emanates from the speaker when the volume knob is moved above zero.

This issue doesn't appear to exist in all Cube XL amps, but it does occur with enough frequency to be a cause of concern in the user community.

Is Roland aware of this issue?

Here is Roland's response:

Hello Ray,

We have not heard of any other users experiencing symptoms you've described with the CUBE-40XL. Our guess is that this is a grounding related issue.

We have created a Support Document to help address ground noise issues. You can download this document at the following URL:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/Resolving_Grounding_Problems.pdf

Sincerely,
    Roland Product Support

I would encourage those folks who are having "buzz issues" with a Cube XL series amp to read the PDF document noted above, and if the recommended solutions don't remedy the situation, to aprise Roland as early as possible.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012