Roland Dimension D

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by PmCimini, Mar 23, 2008.

1. PmCimini

PmCimini Member

People say it's an amazing chorus, but i can't find lots of reviews on it... Anyway, what do you guys think of this chorus? I was wondering if it's worth making a clone of it.... yay one more member for your forums

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

My brother in law had one, it seemed a nice enough chorus but not transcendental. Isn't it digital? A clone might be challenging...

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The original Dimension C and it's rack mount brother the SDD-320 are analog, the later produced Digital Dimension is of course digital. As to the sound, they are unique and many people including myself think they are great choruses, but I find that most who use them mono are missing the real tone treat they provide by not running them in stereo. In stereo is where the 3 dimensional sounds come into play. The CE-20 does a perfect emulation of the Dimension C IMHO, plus it does the CE-1 too, besides a few other great chorus sounds. Typically the Dimension C's typically go for around $150 or more on Ebay, yet you can get the CE-20 used for around $120, so I recommend saving the money and getting the more powerful/flexible CE-20.

TheGrooveking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

Yeah but the CE-20 is too fricken big... the thing that makes the Dimension pedal cool is that it adds two modulated signals to the original note, not just one, so it's a very rich and full sound. When run in stereo, it pans the two modded signals to left and right, very nice. And the four distinct presets are also very cool, it's great to have a small pedal that you can push a button on and get a predictable sound rather than playing around with knobs trying to find the sweet spots.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Even though the CE-20 is larger, it's not as large as two BOSS pedals. Since the jacks are along the top edge, you save room that normally would be used for plugs, that would be sticking out of the side of two single sized units. Plus between the manual setting and the four presets, you have the equivalent to five pedals available at you feet. Now you may not need 5 different modulation pedals though.

TheGrooveking

6. PmCimini

PmCimini Member

Yep... it's really hard to find people that actually played on it.... and i don't know why everyone says it's an amazing chorus but no one seems to actually have played it....

i'll give a clone a chance, but gotta come back from spring break.. and gotta design something that would fit a stompbox...

7. wahwah

wahwah Member

Just about anybody who recorded in a decent studio in the 80's played through a Dimension D. They were mainly used on keyboards but would often be used for guitar as well. The Dimension C is fairly close to the sound of it, and at least a couple of settings on the DC-2 are taken from the original CE-1 Chorus Ensemble. (Preset 2 on my DC-2's are virtually identical to my CE-1 set with the intensity at 9:00) Once chorus became a common effect in digital multi effects processors, not too many people bothered racking up a Dimension D just for chorus.

Cheers..................................wahwah

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

There was a setting for the CE-5 out there a few years back that was almost dead on preset 2 on the Dimension D. Anybody have it, please post here. I think it was actually a Boss promo DVD that showed and played the simulation.

9. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,

I had been reading about the Boss DC-2 for years before I finally found one and bought it two weeks ago. From what I had heard it sounded like the holy grail of chorus, it was more-dimensional, not really a chorus, just something out-of-this-world... etc. All that, I've found to be a bit hyped.

What I've found. Boss DC-2 is indeed a great chorus. And to me it really sounds lika a chorus. It isn't swirly like a CE-2, you can't really hear a "pulse" underneath it. The four presets all sound great, but even at the most subtle setting I dound the dc-2 quite much. I can get more subtle settings with the DC-2.

I found the character of DC-2 to be somewhat similar to the fixed chorus setting of my Roland Jazz Chorus amp, or my RE-501 Chorus Echo set for stereo.

If you love chorus and want a great one I recommend the DC-2. If you like chorus in a way, but still find it a bit cheesy, and therefore hope the DC-2 will be something "more than a chorus" or "the chorus for people who hate chorus etc" - save your money for something else.

It's still very much a chorus, it's very clean and hifi and 80s and not as warm as CE-2. I'm sure it would work great for early 80s guitar pop like Smiths, Pretenders etc.

cheers, C

10. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Didja try it in stereo though? In mono it's just a 4 preset chorus, but in stereo it's a whole different ballgame. Still, as you say, a chorus, but a pretty great one IMO...in stereo that is.

...I know what you mean about the cheesy thing though -- I can't hear chorus without thinking about the 80s, where it was really done to death.

11. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi, (lucky accident I saw this post!)

Yes and no, I haven't got two different amps to run in stereo. Still I ran the guitar through my Sansamp (Tech21 TM-10 practise amp) into the DC-2, ran stereo into a Mackie mixer and listened through stereo speakers and headphones. This was some months ago, I haven't really played with the DC-2 since then.

I'm sure a passionate chorus user could have very sensitive ears for those small details that make something fantastic instead of just great. To me though, I really preferred my old CE-2, since I find it warmer and it can be set more subtle. The DC-2 i find a bit clean, very 80s - I think it'd be a great tool for people working with space, layers, textures etc.

I also figure that since I got a Roland Jazz Chorus amp (JC-77) with true stereo chorus, plus a Roland Chorus Echo RE-501 - I have my chorus needs well covered.

Like I said, to me the DC-2 is a great chorus - but it is still just a chorus. If you love chorus - get it. If you're like me just curious after reading the hype, don't bother - it's just a chorus.

Since it's rare and took a long time to find, I might keep it anyway. Next year I might be doing 80s inspired guitarpop.

Cheers/C

(I play music that tends to go toward somewhere rootsy and earthy - soul, altcountry, classic guitarpop - and I rarely see the use for chorus. My board: HBOD, Tonepress, Empress trem, Timmy, korg tuner, Danecho delay. Fender guitars into fender amp.)

12. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Regarding using the DC-2 in stereo:

Most of us who own this pedal are using it in mono, out of necessity. We guitarists continue to be under-served when it comes to switching devices for a stereo rig. I agree that the DC-2 sounds marvellous in stereo, but like most stereo pedals it only features a mono input. It seems a shame to set up a stereo rig, then only get to enjoy one pedal (or one at a time) in stereo. We need a TB looper-style box which recombines the i/o's and permits the use of several mono in/stereo out pedals simutaneously. Alternately, pedal designeers need to give us more stereo ins!

Are you reading this, PmCimini?

Cheers,

Rob

p.s. As a long-time DC-2 user, I was unmoved by the DC-2 settings on the CE-20.

13. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I really love the DC-2 because of it's suble effect.

14. maracox

maracox Member

p.s. As A Long-time Dc-2 User, I Was Unmoved By The Dc-2 Settings On The Ce-20

+1

15. wickidriffs

wickidriffs Member

I am trying to find videos of the SDD-30 and Dimension D on YouTube, but so far cannot.

16. wickidriffs

wickidriffs Member

That was very interesting. Thank you.

17. wickidriffs

wickidriffs Member

What are the more warm-sounding choruses?

18. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

There is a youtube video of the Lush pedal which is a updated modern replica of the DC-2. Look in the Manufacturer's Emporium. I believe his username is jfromel.

19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yeah I just got my Fromel Lush, and as has been stated and hinted at, this dimensional sound is all about the stereo field , in mono its just anouther chorus really........but give it two speakers to wobble between and its superiority is pretty clear.

My favorite digital chorus is the old Ibanez DCF10 which has a similar asymetrical dimensional floaty range ~ but its digital

20. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member