Roland GA amps

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Void_pointer, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Void_pointer

Void_pointer Member

Did anybody here pick one of these up in the various blowouts? I know they were flops at there initial price point but I am very interested in one at the current price but obviously not if they don't sound good so I would love to hear from anyone that bought one.

2. aizenx

aizenx Member

I got one. I like it a lot. The amp sounds great on its own, but I use it more like a power engine, running my modelers through the stereo fx loops. It's killer for that.

3. Void_pointer

Void_pointer Member

Thanks! Does the voice button and EQ give you a wide range of tonal options. I am assuming (could be way off) that changing the EQ would be more like changing the tone stack on a amp. do you find that to be the case?

I also want to run the zoom g3 directly into one of the FX loops and that will give me all those amp modeling options.

4. aizenx

aizenx Member

Yes, the voice button definitely changes the character of the amp - more of a mid-range shift, gives it more of a British character. Also, the mid-boost helps to add some variety, along with the gain boost as well. The EQ is very responsive and the amp itself is very versatile. The only thing, is that it needs a boost if you are doing extreme metal (the bass is too loose without it).

and it definitely excels with modelers - its like a super powerful power engine. Solidly built and very loud.

5. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I think this amp could have been a winner if it had the capability to store more than 4 presets. It does seem well suited as a "Power Engine" style replacement at a much lower price point. Even at $499 they seem overpriced to me.

6. Void_pointer

Void_pointer Member

Thanks again. since you mention boosting high gain, Does it sound good with other overdrives in front of it?

7. aizenx

aizenx Member

no problem ;)

The only boosts I've used are tubescreamer types (bad monkey, TS808) and it sounds great with them. I'd imagine it would take other pedals well, but I haven't tried at this point.

8. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

I got the 2x12 one for the $399 plus the damn California tax. I'll use them for my modelers mainly since it has a main connection in the rear. Great price I think for that amount of loudness and the Roland reliability. In of itself, it may not sound great for some but that is just bonus to me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  9. aizenx

aizenx Member

I agree. I got the 2x12 plus footswitch for 485 shipped. I am totally happy with the price. I wouldn't have paid the original price they were asking, but I definitely think its worth what I paid. Easily.

10. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

Cool. You got a great deal on the footswitch. How'd you get that? I'll probably get it somewhere else or just use a generic midi pedal if it will take it. Way too expensive on its own.

11. aizenx

aizenx Member

It was a package deal at musicians friend. Couldn't pass it up.

12. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

Nice. Too bad it didn't include it this time around. It's still a good deal.