Roland JC-120 distortion mods

Canon

Wondering if anyone has any experience modding the distortion circuit on this amp. Pedal suggestions are good too, I like it paired with my zendrive, but a smooth marshallesque crunch would be nice.
The amp is an 87, I have a schematic somewhere, if anyone has some notes they want to share, let me know

gtrnstuff

Joe Satriani also used a DS-1 into a JC-120, IIRC. for much of his early work.
I don't have a 120, played thru a few, but a good start for Marshallesque crunch might be a Marshall Guvnor or Jackhammer. I like both into clean amps.
Catalinbread DLS is another good one. very dynamic, touch sensitive.
Fulltone OCD is great, but might be too bright for a 120. Those metal dust covers.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Silver Supporting Member
Pedal, definitely. I had a JC77 for a while. Great amp clean, worst distortion circuit I've ever heard! I used it with a Rat... Marshally yes, but not real smooth. A ZVex Box of Rock would probably do the trick nicely. So would an old Morley JD10 if you can find one.

arthur rotfeld

Supporting Member
Many moons ago I had a 120 as part of a large rig. Maybe this would help, in a slightly unrelated way.

Guitar>Mesa Boogie 50 cal>Line out>Roland DEP for Reverb>stereo out>main-ins in the back of the Roland. I was essentially using the power amp section of the Roland and the speakers. Sounded great, I thought, and bypassed all the preamp and other controls.

Baxtercat

I ran two JC-77s years ago with either a Real Tube or a Blue Tube in front. It was just what the Dr. ordered: warmed it up and made it more real sounding.

candh

I just chuckled to myself when I read this thread. You see, there's this old JC-120 at a friends rehearsal studio that is in such horrible shape that even at really low volume it distorts. Both speakers are blown and it has become a kind of joke to plug into it. Every time I hear it I think of Jimi Page slicing his speakers in the old days..:aok

Canon

Thanks for all suggestions, even speaker slicing!
I drug out the BK Butler tube reverb, and wouldn't ya know, racks are back. Nice and warm, and a MXR 6-band, even better.
Makes the DLS more believable, although the zen is way more open.
Gotta try that DS-1, I keep hearing that.
I'm pretty convinced the amp's distortion just needs to remain off, even a tweaking of resistors/caps would make it more tolerable, not nessesarily usable. had to ask thanks again

Trending Topics