Roland JC-22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hippietim, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Picked one of these up this morning and am pretty enamoured with the little thing. Bump to see if anyone has settled on an OD pedal for it? I’m thinking the Boss OD-1x might be a good pairing

2. JedimasterPaul

JedimasterPaul Supporting Member

I just picked up a JC-40. Clean sounds are heavenly. Which is a good thing since my intention was to get an amp I can leave at church, not have to lug one back and forth.

I compared the built-in chorus (which I understand is digital these days), to my Retro-Sonic CE-1 clone (analog), using both of its outputs into the stereo inputs. Can't say one was better than the other, which is a compliment to the built-in chorus on the amp. The RS had a thicker sound, the built-in chorus sounded more dimensional. Of course, the RS chorus pedal doesn't have a 'fixed' setting, but I did also compare it to the manual mode.

I love these amps. Used to own a JC-77, wish I still had it. But that didn't have stereo inputs.

Strymon DIG run into the stereo inputs sounds AMAZING as well. So, I'm set up for cleans.

Did I mention the reverb on the JC-40 sounds great as well? Added nice depth.

I'm thinking whatever mojo is lacking due to the digital nature of the chorus and reverb fx, the stereo wet/dry speaker setup goes a long way in compensating for it. Nothing sounded harsh on these cleans.

Yeah, I know this thread was about the JC-22, but I think the two amps will sound similar, and the chorus and reverb is probably the same on both amps ayway

Just need an overdrive pedal for this. This built-in distortion may work, sounded ok in my office. But I am looking for a pedal to give me some more options.

I have a Whiteface RAT reissue, I will try that. What other ODs have people uses with good results with these?

Anacharsis and aman74 like this.
  3. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

Wanted to CHIME-IN here with a few fresh perspectives ...

First, some context/background: I've enjoyed many an amp over the years, one of my first being a Crate from the late 80's. More recently, I found a good home with Quilter Amps to include: MicroPro 200-8 w/ optional 12" HD Cab (my main performance rig), 101 Reverb w/ 10 BlockDock (secondary rig). At one point along the way, I also had the original 101, Tone Block 200, and the Micro Block. In addition, I have the THR10C -- great for portability and just having fun around the house. My main use of the amps is to serve a foundational platform for my pedals/effects -- to note: they do sound great with the guitar plugged straight in.

In exploring the stereo capabilities of my effects a bit more, I thought it might be easier to have an amp like the JC-22 that allowed for a one-stop solution, compared to using my two Quilters. In addition, the JC-22 was a nice compromise of size and weight (for portability) while still having enough oomph for smaller performances. The THR10C sounded great but, depending on the surrounding environment, clarity and articulation of the overall sound could get lost (read: a lot of people talking or moving around in a large room). I've played little backyard parties with a "chill" crowd and the THR worked like a charm.

Enter the JC-22. I wasn't quite sure to expect but, count me as impressed. The amp has that classic clean chime of its larger brothers, nice EQ controls, and gets more than loud enough. I usually keep it on 3 (out of 10) for use in smaller rooms -- the pedals boost the overall volume a bit. As others have noted, the volume and EQ shape changes a bit (less bass) when the chorus is activated. It sounds great but, if you are kicking chorus on/off, be prepared to dial up a bit more volume and bass on the dials if you want to compensate.

Having gigged a lot of bars and parties these past few years with my Quilters, I believe the JC-22 can hold its own; this, as long as one is not playing with a hard-hitting drummer or bandmates that like to compete in. "who can play loudest?". For a duo or trio in a normal to large room, this amp would work great even before one chooses to (or not) use the line outs to plug into a PA (or mic).

So far, the JC-22 feels like the perfect compliment to my Quilters while offering a few tricks of its own. As always, I will come back and update this thread as I get more real-world usage.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Peppy

Peppy Member

Anything new?

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

Compared to your JC-40 is the JC-22 still 'big' enough? Meaning do those 6.5" speakers give a full enough sound? Thanks.

6. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

I've played a few gigs with it -- no drummer, just bass -- and it seemed more than capable. I hardly ever have it above 11pm on the Volume dial and it seems loud with a lot of punch. It has been perfect for running the stereo effects into and not needing two different amps. Obviously, there is some inherent limitation with how "spacial" the sound is , with two speakers vs. that of two amps with a few feet separating them.That said, one just has to turn on the built-in chorus (sounds fantastic) and, they will be quickly amazed as to how spread the stereo chorus does sound.

With respects to gigs, as it has the stereo line outs, one can also run it into a PA if more volume is needed.

I really dig the amp -- feels like it is built like a tank, has some nice I/O options, works great for home or gigs, and provides a nice platform both for pedals and simply as a stand alone amp.

It should be noted that, not soon after I purchased this to replace my THC10, Yamaha finally released the updated THC10 II, which has a bit more oomph to it. It does not however support the stereo inputs so, while it may make for a nice portable small-gig or practice amp, my pedal setup would have to be in mono (not end of the world.)

Peppy likes this.
  7. Peppy

Peppy Member

@DecoWaves thanks. It would be overwhelmingly for home use. I play monthly at a local brewery/bar. Never more than maybe 40 people in attendance. Always with a drummer. The 40 would be overkill for home of course (especially where I live) and doubtful if I could get it over 3 at the bar. My main hold on the 22 is just if it has a 'footprint' of sorts with those smaller speakers.