Roland microcube or Vox valvetronix amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Standard 64, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Roland 20 or Vox ad15vt.Which one has better sounds for tinkering around the house?Thanks.

2. ?&!

?&! Member

The school where I teach has a Vox ad15vt as the house amp in my lesson room. I bring my MicroCube.:)

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Microcube.

BTW, this thread needs a poll at the top.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 for the Roland Micro Cube.

5. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Every musician should own a Micro Cube and no, I'm not kidding :) For low volume practicing, it's a really incredible sounding piece. I never really purchased any really small wattage amps before because they sounded terrible to me, but spending a little bit of time with the Micro Cube I managed to coax some very nice tones out of it.

The Valvetronix series has never impressed me all that much although I know a lot of folks that love them. For me, I spend most of my time on the Brit Combo setting of my Micro Cube with the gain set around 1 o'clock and the tone about 1 o'clock and I get clean to overdriven tones from my pick attack (it also cleans up well with a volume knob). Lead playing is seriously fun on that channel too, just throw on a neck humbucker and it sings all at talking volumes. The beauty of the MC is that everything can be dialed in pretty effortlessly. Want some really sweet, neutral cleans? Go to "JC Clean", roll back the gain and set the tone to where it sounds good with your guitar. Are you a metal player and want to practice some heavy riffage? Throw on "R-Fier" dial in a lot of tone and gain and you're there. The Marshall-ish stuff is a lot of fun as well: both the "Brit Combo" and "Classic Stacks" are nice - as a rock kinda player myself I naturally gravitate towards those.

Lets not kid ourselves into thinking these are amazing amps turned up - they're not. However, at lower volumes where they were intended, they sound clear and warm and sweet.