Roland Microcube RX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soniq7, Sep 7, 2008.

1. soniq7

soniq7 Member

What a splendid little amp this is!

12 or so amp sounds in stereo, plenty of effects, a drum machine, a tuner. And its built like a tank. The kicker, it runs on 6xAA batteries for 13 hours!

Its on audition from GC, but I think Ill keep this one.

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I have the Micro Cube and I'm constantly impressed by it. More than once I've taken it and my 335 copy to the park to sit on a park bench and noodle in the sun.

I've taken it on vacation with me along with a 3/4 scale guitar.

I love the idea of the RX having a drum machine too.

GAD

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah the RX is great. Makes practicing/noodling a lot of fun-and very portable of coarse! Bob

4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I enjoy my Microcube when I record direct with it. It's perfect for that sort of stuff.

5. soniq7

soniq7 Member

So neat! I love the RX cube and.... :banana

Im definatley keeping it. Its the ultimate busking amp.

Ive been running on batteries 6xAA for about 6 hours now and its fun as hell. Oh and the batteries in it have already been in the freezer twice.

6. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

I've used a MicroCube for the last year and a half in the store I teach at, and for what it is, it is fairly impressive. I'm wondering about the sound quality of the RX, since it has 4" speakers instead of the 5" in the Micro. Anyone had a chance to compare? I'm just wondering if they are close, or if they fall a bit short of the 5". The store doesn't have any yet, and he's not sure when he'll put an order in, so any insights would be helpful at this point.

7. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I got a microcube for my son and it's great....recently a fellow TGP'r came over with his and we had a little rehearsal session and worked awesome...

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

How many different drum beats do you get with it?

9. soniq7

soniq7 Member

Its a very basic selection of beats. 11 types and a three-way variation switch. So 33 sounds. Beats are a little weak, but great for what it is. Tap tempo and beat mix volume also.

My fav is clean sound, like a mini JC120

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I own both. I wouldnt say the 4" fall short at all. The RX sounds bigger and fuller. I guess four ported 4" speakers trump a single 5" speaker. I didnt even A/B them or anything before I bought the RX. I already had the cube. I just figured Roland would get it right with the multi smaller speaker set up. They did. After buying they Ive A/B'd them and the winner soundwise is the RX. of coarse its a lot bigger and not ultra portable like the cube but ,for me its worth it. I dont use my cube anymore-just the RX. The built in drum machine is great. My only complaint is that the drum machine volume ,maxed , is significantly lower than the guitar. Of coarse that just means your slightly limited as to how loud you can jam out to the drum machine. Bob

11. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Thank you most kindly for your review. I will definitely have to harp on them to put an order in for one so I can hear it.

12. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

It's amazing how much better those Cubes sound compared to alot of really good amps out there.