Roland Space Echo opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, May 21, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Any would be MUCH appreciated. I am looking at a RE101 right now and dont know if I should go that route or the echoplex route. :confused:
    Or just stick with my little DANO PB&J LOL.

Thanks!!

2. westerhever

westerhever Member

i had a re201 which is a fantastic sounding echo if you can stand the hiss.i had humming problems in combination with some of my amps and for whatever reason the sound got very thin when i turned down the volume of my guitar.a good tech might solve these problems.i went with a pedal though i'm still missing the great lush floating sound of the roland.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The re101 doesn't have reverb and should potentially have less noise. I have a re101 and for the first five years or so of my guitar playing, it was the only effect I owned, so I'm a fan. The re101, at one point, was coveted by studios because it lacked the add-ins of the other models like reverb & chorus. The blackbox quicksilver actually sounds pretty close to the space echo. If this is for a live situation, it might be a good option.

4. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

I have an RE-150 which, like the 101, is great IMHO because it doesn't have the chorus or reverb, just beautiful delay. Seems like these two simpler models are quieter in my experience, too. They all require maintenance that a pedal won't, and I love analog delay pedals, but tape is its own thing and has a certain magic that I've not found elsewhere.

I have never owned an Echoplex, but have heard from several people that they are more tempramental and prone to failure compared to the Roland units.
    Good luck.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Brian Setzer was using one last time I saw him (might have been a 201?) - sounded great. Cool units, IMO!

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I recently "inherited" a 201, and I'm loving it! BUT, the verb isn't working, and I don't know where to go to get it fixed, and I'm concerned about finding tapes. If those aren't issues for you, I say go for it.

7. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've still got a 150 around here somewhere. Have owned it since I bought it new in 78 or 79. The prevailing thought back then was that we used the Space Echoes on the PA and maybe synth rigs, but always an Echoplex on guitar. I still am of this mindset. The Echoplex is still THE best feeling guitar delay.

I've used the 150 in my guitar rig several times and while it sounds pretty good I find the input level knob to be really touchy. It goes from too low of a level to pegging the meters by just looking at or breathing on the knob. Also both the Space Echo and Echoplex will add a nice ocean like hiss to your sound so I would never use it for recording.

I personally stopped using Echoplexes when my third one's motor burnt out. Since then, I've been very happy with the Chandler and more recently the Fulltone TTE, which I think is phenomenal. I also have a DD2 (sounds good), a DD20 (I like) and a DL4 (don't like).

If you want tape, I would just get the TTE or second choice, Chandler Digital Echo. I would prefer these and maybe even the DD20 over my Space Echo any day.

Kenny M.

8. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I had a 201, which has a very clean echo tone. The reverb is a bit cheesy, as I think it's a short-spring unit, but it's awesome when mixed with amp reverb. Combining two types of reverb is tits.

The two things I don't like about Space Echos is:
    1) solid state. I prefer tubes where possible.
    2) tape replacement. It is impossible to make a silent splice without some kind of special equipment or special magnetic splicing tape.

The next upgrade from a Space Echo is a tube EchoPlex (vintage) or a FullTone TTE.

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thanks!! HAs anyone else tried the CHANDLER??