Rolf pickups in a Les Paul vs the Standard Burstbuckers or 57 Classics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    .... are they worth the price ? :confused:

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you I absolutely love the 57 Classics in my LP. I have no inclination to look any further.

3. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I had a set in a Historic Les Paul, these were just fantastic, and worth the money

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

I'm guessing you mean Rolph. Rolph's are very much like an original PAF. They are like a microphone for your guitar. If you have a good guitar it will sound great with Rolph's in it.

5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Yes sorry, Rolph pickups. I have a really good sounding 68RI and I like the burstbuckers, but sometimes the high end is a touch too bright. I may switch out my pots and tone control caps first before I blow tons of money on new pickups. I've heard a lot of good things about Rolphs and was curious if there were any good comparisons.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

There are a lot of good boutique pickup manufacturers out there. Rolphs, Voodoo, Fralin, the list goes on! I've personally not played or tried the Rolphs but, do have experience with some of the other boutique PAF pickup makers. IMO, they are that much better than some of the current production pickukps - of which I think Gibsons are very good. There is a lot of info over on the LPF that is worth checking out!

8. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Rolph's aren't going to help with the brightness issue as it's the wood and if I remember right the bridge pup is closer to the bridge on those. If it's brightness and not harshness you're hearing with the stock pickups and you want to take off some of the brightness you might try 300k pots first. Otherwise maybe call Jim Wagner and tell him what you've got and what you're looking for as I'm sure he winds something that would work in your case.