roller bridge on les paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Craig157, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Craig157

Craig157 Member

I just put a wilkinson roller bridge on my les paul. It makes a huge difference in sustain and playability. It bends so much better and it was immediately noticeable how much longer notes would ring out.
    If you have $25 sitting around, this would be the upgrade I recommend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Raising the tailpiece to have a minimal break angle makes the strings much easier to manipulate.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

Appreciate the post, but no pics showing for me.

I might have that same bridge on my Epi Riviera with Bigsby. Zero issues out of it. The guitar holds tune much much better with bigsby use.

An unexpected perk is that I find it more comfortable under my palm.

I should get another one and try it on my other guitars with TOM bridges. :D

3. Craig157

Craig157 Member

I guess it doesn't want to upload from my phone. I didn't even think about how nice it is under the palm. I knew there was something about it that just felt better! I've had a hard time putting it down all day.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

Yeah, it makes the ABR/Nashvilles feel barbaric. ;) It was the first thing I noticed when I strung back up.

On the bench, I can see that sometimes not all of the rollers actually roll. The strings don't stick though, and that's the imporant part for me.

5. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I dig the Schaller version. It feels comfortable for palm muting, and you can fine tune each string's lateral position.

6. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

I've thought about that bridge for my SG, mostly for a little more tuning stability when using the vibrola. I've heard some say they're tone killers. I don't buy that, but they might be tone "changers" compared to the tune-o-matic. I decided not to do it, as my lightning bolt bridge definitely has its own special tone. Bust out the nut lube...

7. Technica

Technica Member

I use the Schaller version, which is spectacular. Even more so with the TP-6 tailpiece. People insist that both the tailpiece and bridge are tone killers, and I've never noticed any change.

8. doc

doc Member

I've been tempted to try the GFS Wilkinson pictured above. The ad is confusing as to what type posts its actually sized to fit onto - it looks like maybe a Nashville. It also isn't very forthcoming as to the material, described as "beautifully machined solid metal", which I take to mean possibly the usual zinc pot metal.

9. Craig157

Craig157 Member

I haven't noticed any chance to the tone, it is the same material as the tune-o-matic, just a better surface for the strings (in my opinion of course), the increase in sustain and comfortable area to rest your palm are the biggest differences for me.

10. doc

doc Member

If its the same material as the tune-o-matic what do you think accounts for a change in sustain? What type posts is yours on - did you use the ones that came with the new bridge?

11. Craig157

Craig157 Member

I believe the increase of sustain is due to a better/smoother surface that the string is resting on. Since it is not binding anywhere (free to move back and forth at the bridge) the string can vibrate for a longer period of time.