1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We've added some "new" guys to the moderator crew. All are longtime members that stepped up to the invite to help out by volunteering their time and effort to help the membership experience on TGP stay on the even keel. A special thank you to the 'new' guys that helping out. The new moderators are Mike Duncan, Stormin, ford, Teleplayer, and PurpleJesus A thread on the announcement is here!

Dismiss Notice

Roller nut on a guitar with a zero fret?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by redeyedjim, Mar 26, 2015.

1. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

If you install a roller nut on a guitar neck with a zero fret, will you still get the benefit of the roller?

Second, related question: on a guitar with a zero fret, is the nut placement as critical as it is on non-zero fret guitars? For example, when one installs a roller nut on a guitar without a zero fret, one typically needs to move the forward edge of the nut 1/16" closer to the bridge to preserve correct intonation, as the string "breaks" over the roller 1/16" back from the front end.. This requires some fretboard surgery, typically. Do you have to do this if you are installing a roller nut on a non-zero fret neck?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

no point in the roller nut if the string is still dragging itself across the zero fret.

and no, with a zero fret the placement of anything behind it doesn't affect intonation.

3. redeyedjim

Thanks, Walter. W/R/T the roller mechanism, I should have been a little clearer in my OP: this guitar is a hardtail, but it has an aluminum nut that can get a little grabby on string bends. I'll spare you the long backstory (it's here if you have nothing better to do) but I just converted it from a trem back to a hardtail. When it had the trem, it had a locking nut and a bridge with microtuners. Now it's back to being its old self (albeit with a much better bridge!), and my recollection is that the aluminum nut was kind of a PITA to live with. So my thinking is that if it is still a PITA I should probably do something about it, either see if it can be filed and fixed, or else replace it with something less grabby. So with that in mind, a roller bridge might be a potential solution for me, though I'd try some more subtle corrections first.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the pics are showing what looks like a zero fret. is there an aluminum guide behind it?

(oh, and kramer aluminum neck and a 2tek? did you put an insert into the body for threading it onto a mic stand so you could play it standing up? :eeks)

5. redeyedjim

LOL. Yeah, it's a boat anchor, but oh, man, THE TONE with that 2Tek! And coming from 25 years with the Kahler trem it replaced, I honestly don't think the 2Tek is any heavier. But I don't gig, so it's moot; I can play sitting down or standing up, it doesn't matter. I stand when I jam with friends, but for late night playing it's a chair or a stool.

Yeah, with the zero fret I suppose the aluminum nut is technically more guide than nut, which is pretty much what you said in your first reply. The aluminum is just a little grabby. I don't have the right files to address it myself, but I can bring it to a tech for that. I was looking ahead and making an assumption that the characteristics of aluminum aren't going to change, even if the string slots are properly dressed. I think on the later aluminum necks, Kramer ditched the traditional nut entirely and went with a pair of posts per string.

Thanks for your help! I'll see if I can post a clearer picture of what's on there now.