Rolling off the volume to clean-up?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by TonePilot, May 10, 2019.

1. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Mmmmm... not necessarily.

There are pedals that can help. For instance a Fuzz face can go from full fuzz at 10 to sparkly clean tone at 7 or 8 and because theres so much compression the volume difference is less than if it was just guitar > amp. The key is the compression whether its from a cranked amp or a pedal. Thats what keeps the volume difference minimized.

El Phaco likes this.
  2. gennation

gennation Member

You need the tone bleed circuit/mod or this is just a “turn your guitar down” thread. All the great players who rely on the volume knob have it. You can also get the mod added to your volume pedal if that works better for you...I’ve never tried it in both the guitar and pedal but I hear the results aren’t the best.

3. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

False.

JohnnyBGoode and JosephZdyrski like this.
  4. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

In my experience this works best on an all tube amp with decent natural compression at higher volumes.

5. gennation

gennation Member

You’d be better off turning your amp down than your guitar without the mod

6. RLD

RLD Member

Nah...I don't have any treble bleeds on any of my guitars and they perform this function just fine.

7. gennation

gennation Member

Maybe you have it built in? Otherwise, without it the response is flatter with the volume turned down even a little bit. It makes a world of difference.

8. RLD

RLD Member

Nope...lots of my guitars are wired by me so I know there is no treble bleed.
    I play single coil Strats and get my clean sound with the guitar volume knob. Sounds great.
    I see people all the time saying you must have a treble bleed...not true...maybe some need it, depending on their rig but lots get by fine without.

9. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

NO. The guitar was designed when players didn't have "solo boost" pedals. Or any pedals at all. With the amp's volume, treble and middle open, and guitar volume rolled of, you get that classic American Blues tone.
    Fuzzes also get more polite when you hit them with less volume and treble from the guitar... think Gilmour...
    So a treble bleed is a great idea - for some musical genres, not for all.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  10. gennation

gennation Member

Per the OPs issue of his guitar getting lost in the mix bringing the volume pot down, the common fix is the tone bleed circuit. Without it he losing brightness (or presence) and the guitar becomes flatter sounding. Super common issue. It might not do anything for you but it will take care of the OPs issue for a few bucks.

11. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

You'd always be better off turning your amp down, but t's just not practical in a live situation. Listen to 'Live at Leeds' (the Who) for a great example. Or, go see Jeff Beck. Also, treble bleed circuits change the tone. Some like, some don't.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

That's the point of them. Everybody should be aware of that and how easy it is to add one to control that sort of a problem, if you hear it as a problem.

13. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

Maybe, but now you're saying something very different...

14. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

This will always be too dependent on your specific rig and how you set it up

UNLESS YOU HAVE A TREBLE BLEED.