Rolling, Trigger Points, Management & Treatment

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Scott Peterson, Oct 12, 2015.

1. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

A question about "Becoming a Supple Leopard." How does it stack up against Feldenkrais? Or Adrian Crook's Inflex, if you've run across it. I'm a former Tai Kwon Do practitioner who has become very inflexible, and I'm hitting the gym to reverse the effects of personal sloth. Any tips on flexibility regimens is appreciated.

2 knees and 2 hips substituted with titanium, so no running or skiing, which sucks.

Scott Peterson likes this.
  2. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Trigger point solved a very bad back I had after a pulled muscle that escalated due to scoliosis. One muscle pulling to compensate for another till my back was way out of control. My wife took me in to see her preceptor while she was in med school. He checked me out and said hey everybody come see this he has an extra vertebrae.

Wow now I am a mutant. No cool claws or lazer eye beams. Just extra vertebrae man.

It does make me flexible so I can still put both feet behind my head at 41. I am 6' 3". 168 lbs.

For sciatica my wife showed me an exercise. Sit on the side of a bed or chair and cross a leg over the other ankle at the knee cap and lean as far forward as you can. You can feel the stretch so good and your sciatic will thank you for days.

Good stuff man thanks for posting.

I too want to be that guy who still looks and feels and competes as a much younger guy. My kds at school think I am late 20s early 30s and at 41 that makes me smile so much.

Thanks Scott for this and a great forum.

3. prototype

prototype Member

k-starr is a smart guy no doubt but i didn't get much out of his supple leopard book. also for a guy who's bread and butter comes from coaching crossfit athletes, his knowledge of basic weightlifting and powerlifting movements is appalling. his gymnastics stuff might be just as bad but i have no way to verify. the one thing i got from him that really helped however was the concept of "joint flossing." i've used floss on my ankles to help break down scar tissue and have come a very very long way.

as a decently competitive powerlifter and strongman i would say that the two biggest things in mobility are consistency and specificity. find your bread and butter dynamic warmups and mobility wods and beat them into the ground. this is of course highly individual based on your weaknesses, but i'll share what was the biggest gamechanger for me:

i always had very stiff ankles. my squat lagged behind the other competition lifts because of this. i spent less time squatting and more time trying to foam roll and stretch and eventually would take 40 minutes to warm up before i even touched the weights. even then, reps never felt truly strong and my mobility never got better in a meaningful way. i popped my knee and had surgery earlier this year.

i know that i'm a strength athlete so my goal with my reconstructed knee is to prepare it for heavy squats and explosive sports movements. i spent less and less time stretching and more time easing myself into correct (read: strong) positions for the actual movements. obviously at first my ROM was short due to the recovery process, but by sticking with the specific squat movement i was able to inch it more and more every day until i felt comfortable enough to box squat, then i felt comfortable enough to squat without the box, then front squat, and so on and so forth. the point for me was to spend less time trying to be "generally flexible" and more time working on specifically what I wanted to be good at. the more time you spend doing what you need to do, the better you understand your body and the better you can cue yourself to perform optimally. squats feel night-and-day different from the way they felt pre-surgery. i'm not even three months out from the day i had my knee scoped and i already feel stronger in the bottom of a squat.

tl;dr - i'm still on the foam roller everyday but i spend the bulk of my mobility time doing dynamic warmups that are more specific to the movements that i am trying to improve.

4. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Hop flexor stiffness, muscle tension. Definitely not a joint related issue. Any tips you share would be more than welcome though, either in this thread or PM. :)

5. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I have some chronic pain issues.
    A good friend of mine gave me a (3) DVD set/series from Donna Eden called Energy Medicine - The essential techniques.
    I was very skeptical at first, but started doing the tapping & exercises, and it has made significant improvements not only for pain, but in a lot of different areas of my well being.

6. StanG

StanG Member

I am 58 years old, 5'9", about 165 lbs. I have arthritis in one hip and am generally very tight. I have doing crossfit 2x a week for almost a year and flexibility is a constant struggle. I use a roller and lacrosse balls and have looked at the supple leopard book, and use some of the stretches. I have a lot of trouble squatting, but think I am making a little bit of progress and am able to get a little lower every week.

I also have been doing tae kwando for four years. I can't rotate my hips to do some kicks, but have some work arounds that work ok.

Two summerss ago, the orthopedic doc said I was five years out from a hip replacement. Now my hip feels better than it did then, though the arthritiis has progressed, and I think my lack of mobility in my hip region is more related to the hip flexors, tendons, etc that the actual joints.

7. Graffiti Rover

Graffiti Rover Member

I've had serious flexor issues. Because of my replacement, I need to stretch and release every day. Do you sit for long periods of time? Sitting promotes flexor tightness and shortening. I have a desk job and I get up and walk around every half hour or so. I also do stretches in my office (and get weird looks).

Here are a few things that I found that work for me:
    1. Samson Stretches and Couch Stretches (3 sets at 20-30 seconds each leg for 3x per day):

2. Great Mobility Drill:

3. Miscellaneous:
    a. Deep Squat Holds. Squat as deep as you can and hold for 20-30 seconds. I mix in a little figure-8 movement of my hips to try to get a little deeper.
    b. Hamstring and Glute stretches
    c. Myofascial Release (This is a must for me on a daily basis):

Scott Peterson and hobbes1 like this.
  8. Lance

Lance Member

Cannot wait to read this thread and try some of this stuff.

I tore my serratus posterior superior working out almost two years ago. I've been through chronic pain mgmt. clinic, had as many as 25 injections of lidocaine straight into the back meat and that was my 6th treatment. Hit the roller three time per day, take maximum dosage of baclofen, am about to try yet another different massage therapist, and drink my way out of pain almost every day. It's better than going insane! Funny thing is that the lidocaine injection lady pretty sanctions that, and say many have to go that route. So glad I saw this thread!!!

9. Strat

Strat Member

Nice to see the firm roller and TP post. As an Occupational Medicine physician with a Rehab/ Sports Medicine center ( Ohio Sports & Spine Institute) I work with weekend warriors, injured workers and even professional musicians with "work related" injuries. We've schooled our therapists in these approaches and even more so in Functional Movement System ( FMS): only now working itself into the professional sports arena. Check FMS out for taking your interests to the next level @ http://www.functionalmovement.com.

BTW- we treat quite a bit of CF Box injuries. It's really not for everyone - mostly the "instructors".

10. starjag

starjag Member

Jill Miller and Kelly Starrett are by far my key resources for mobility.

11. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Doing some of the stretches has helped a lot!!

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

This thread makes me happy. I truly value the added information and experience people are adding to this. I learn so much from other people and deeply appreciate the process of that sharing through others' experience and knowledge. This stuff truly matters to me and glad to see others connect and share.

Graffiti Rover likes this.
  13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

GREAT post, especially for us old(er!) warriors!

14. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Scott - I know you are a fan of Pavel on the kettlebell side. Have you read his stretching stuff? As usual, he is all over this (he could do any version of the splits you care to mention as well as being as strong as a beast) and his protocols get the most bang for the buck in the time invested. They rely on Proprioceptive-Neuro-Muscular-Facilitation or PNF (flexing the stretched muscle). I take a weekly class in it and to say that it has changed my overall well being would be quite an understatement.

15. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

This thread motivated me to do some stretches for shortened hamstrings the other day. Since then my back has been quite sore. None of the stretches I've ever tried has succeeded in loosening my hamstrings a whit.

16. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Since i'm a runner and cyclist, i've been using a foam roller for many years now, and think it makes a big difference in recovery/overall muscle health. I also roll a small ball under each foot for a minute every morning before i get dressed, and stretch a few times a day. Yoga once or twice a week.
    I do think everyone should do some basic stretching every day, within the limits of what their body will allow.

My mom does something at her gym called "body rolling" and swears by it, as does any other person i know who's tried it- i'd like to give it a try sometime, but the private sessions are a little too much $$$ for me right now:

http://www.yamunausa.com/

17. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

18. StanG

StanG Member

My mom does something at her gym called "body rolling" and swears by it, as does any other person i know who's tried it- i'd like to give it a try sometime, but the private sessions are a little too much $$$ for me right now:

http://www.yamunausa.com/[/QUOTE]

Just get a 24" piece of pvc and a lacrosse ball, watch some videos and try it out. Personally, I will spend almost as much time rolling, using the ball, and stretching, before I work out, as I do on the workout.

My daughter does olympic weightlifting, and I took her to a deep tissue massage recently and am seriously thinking doing the same for myself.

19. StanG

StanG Member

By staying consistent with both rolling, stretching and workouts I have really noticed improvement in my overall flexibility in the last month.

I am now working on my hip abductors which I think are what is really holding me back. Making a little progress there.

Also I have upped to 3 crossfits a week and 2-3 Tae kwando classes.

20. sanrico

sanrico Member

Reading a post like this makes me frightened, because I'm afraid to hope for the miracle this has been for you. Just like you, I have a weird lower back thing. No explainable reason, but when it hits, I'm in terrible pain for 1-2 weeks and can barely stand straight up. Then it goes away, with the only lingering sign being stiffness when I stretch out after sitting for a while.

I would love for something like this to be the answer. I'm afraid to hope.