Rollingstone Magazine's The Decades Best Songs & Albums

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GearOnTheBrain, Dec 17, 2009.

1. New issue out and quite a good read.
    The decades best albums, songs, artists, movies, etc.
    I really enjoyed it.
    Of course im sure the demographic here may not appreciate it much and disagree with 99% of it............Robben Ford, Joe Bossamassa, etc aren't on the list.
    BUT...........i think its cool and brought back good memories of the 00's.

By the way, Radioheads KID A was voted album of the decade.
    Pretty damn cool, and, well, deserving i'd say.
    The judges were made up of critics, artists, industry insiders, etc.
    Anyone else here check it out?

2. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

The very last page "The Decade in Charts" was an eye-opener:
    The Stones brought in nearly a $Billion touring. Who knew? Who cares about those guys? Also, 'NSync sold 2.4 million copies in one week. Sheesh...

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i don't agree with them, but i don't think they should have their intestines ripped from their body and all records of their existence erased from the face of the earth.

unfortunately, that sort of statement needs to be qualified whenever you discuss your opinion on one of RS' lists.

4. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Apparently a lot of people care about those guys. Who do you think should be as big of a draw, considering the quality of the entertainment, the limitless back catalog of great songs, the uber famous personalities and the appeal to the largest group of people? Don't forget... without the Stones, rock would've taken a poppier, much less urgent approach. They can still rock it, and have the respect of their peers and of all the people they've inspired over the years. Bohemianism in rock music is a direct result of the Stones. They are one of the best... and to be sure, they are the best that have been doing it as long as they have. They still put out relevant albums, as well. Check out 'A Bigger Bang'. Great production, songwriting and feel. Naturally, they aren't the Exile period Stones, and haven't been since right after Exile. They continue to move on and do what they feel shakes the booty and puts those same booties in seats. I say 'Good job, boys! Keep it rolling!'

5. drod2045

drod2045 Member

if you can still rock - why stop? props

(too many rhymes...im aware)

6. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I meant lately, I suppose. This boomer is not hatin' on the Stones, count on that.
    I loved 'em from their first single in '64 and through the next several decades.
    But them quitting? Not me; don't misconstrue. If I can keep going, they certainly can.

My original question meant 'who is it likes them'?
    They got $850 million touring in the 2000's. I did not know Gen. X and Gen. Y or whatever were down with the old Stones. Probably lots of folks my age at the show too. Heck, there's a gal in here at work only 26 or so who's crazy about Mick Jagger.

It's the numbers that really impress me. Check out that RS stat page.
    Likewise 'NSync, Norah Jones, etc.
    Beaucoup dough can be made in this business, that's for sure.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. whenever the stones tour they are always the biggest grossing tour act.
    anyway........There Will Be Blood was voted film of the decade.
    Also a great choice.

8. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

There Will Be Milkshakes? Garbage.

9. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

The Stones make so much money touring BECAUSE it is old people who like them. How many people under 30 can afford their tickets? People who have been working for 30-40 years have the cash to drop (and no student loans) to see their favorite bands from when they were younger.

10. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Go to a Stones stadium show -- there's a little bit of everybody. There are longtime fans, longtime fans who bring their kids, younger people who are actual fans, younger people who want to see what the hoopla's about, younger and older people who want to check out the institution before it goes away, etc. Multitudes of people, multitudes of reasons. You don't fill stadiums worldwide just by appealing to your base constituency.

11. small axe

small axe Member

not one pearl jam album or more from jack johnson or ben harper

12. jlott

jlott Member

Speaking of props, that just what Keith Richards has become. A stage prop. Did anyone see shine a light? Aside from Ron Wood, it was truly sad. They should most definately bow out with some dignity.

13. wow..............why did this turn into a thread about The Rollingstones?
    yawn.

14. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

I have that issue but still haven't gone through it. I just looked at the movies' list and shook my head in dismay.

I would also throw a tantrum about Kid A being named album of the decade if it wasn't winning this position in every poll I've seen. This album marked an almost unrealistic move by Radiohead: to follow up OK Computer with this completely different record. But aside from that, most of these songs are hardly listenable today, and that kind of music was being done well by other bands before Radiohead. It is because it took everyone by surprise then that it's showing up in this position now. But I am afraid that this album doesn't deserve this position based on musical merit alone.

(I also don't get most of Wilco. They are good but not the third-best-album-of-the-decade good. In fact, I disagree with every rock/pop album in the top 10 aside from The Strokes and The White Stripes).

15. nobody ever said that that kind of music wasnt being done.
    i think KID A has aged well and is quite listenable.
    what they did was ballsy but that doesnt make it a great album.
    what makes it great is its concept, its themes, its pushing the envelope, its composition, etc.
    what would you say is the album of the decade?

16. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Song's for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age.

Album of the decade.

Proving that the deaf are just that.

They really love Bruce in that magazine. I wonder if that is part of the interview process. Prove you love for everything Bruce and Bob Dylan. Both these guys deserve the love and adulation of the fans but RS has been a Bruce fanzine this entire decade.

17. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

18. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

Elliott Smith, Figure 8. But that's just me.

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a lot of the CDs on the list. I'm a little suprised no Ben Harper on the list. I would have thought Diamnods on the Inside was better than at least one of those 100.

20. it was on the list.