Ron Ellis 50/60: The perfect Strat pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by d.rhoads, Jul 25, 2011.

1. throbert

throbert Member

Thanks! I still have a few months to go but I'm glad I'm the wait list. He was very thorough and personable and answered all of my questions and addressed all of my concerns and then some. Most important, he has been accessible when I've emailed him.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. tnmccammon

tnmccammon Member

Anyone take delivery on Ron Ellis pickups of late? I'm at 6 months now and just trying to gauge the wait time. Thx.

Tony

3. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Give credit where credit is due!

Ron Ellis pickups are the most complex, while being perfectly balanced (frequency wise, from string to string) single coils I have ever played in my Strat.

These pickups have solved a life long problem between me and my Strat and Strat style guitars.

The low notes are tight and spank if you get up under the string with your finger but have the right mix of low frequencies to produce bass but in the right proportion, without being "heavy". The volume balance from string to string is amazing...don't know how he's done this but notes ring out in such an amazingly musical way and there is no drop-out at any fret, on any string that I can detect, which is related to the pickup and not caused by the fret or the neck.

The upper notes are strong and present on the bridge pickup and lack that "thin" small tone, while not being to "in your face" so they get honky...like other over powered bridge pickups can be.

Nice quack, chime and balance in all 5 positions...all amazingly musical.

As you can tell...I like these pickups alot!

Still waiting for my Tele set...been a long time!

4. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

I caught the clip last night and the one with the 4 kt 88 amp I gotta say that those strat pickups sound really really good.

I`m in the market and was thinking Bareknuckles cause i`m happy with my humbuckers the clips made me rethink that and maybe I should do some more research.

5. d.rhoads

d.rhoads Member

I agree with everything you just said. I will most likely never play any other single coil pickup other than the Ron Ellis. I honestly never knew a Strat could sound so full while still not losing it's single-coil characteristics and Strat character. I've had mine for about a month now, and I'm still just as in love with them as I was when I first put them in.

Now I need to buy a couple more Strats and try a couple of his other sets. And I need a Tele, as well. I freakin love the sound of his Tele pups.

6. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

ordered mine 1 month ago ....

7. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

I ordered a set 3 weeks ago. Hopefully I'll find out one day about the 50/60's.

8. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

I have a set of his BROADCASTER TELE pickups...You can roll of the tone knob and those things are incredible. They sound almost like a PAF and then you roll the tone knob back and get that Tele spank. I'm a Strat guy but always take my Tele with the Ron Ellis pickups when I'm doing a gig where I cover lots of different types of material.

9. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

I received mine approx 12 months, several years ago. They are great and not leaving my strat, but I wouldn't go through it again

10. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I got mine about a year and a half ago. 15 month wait. It was worth the wait.