Ron Ellis pickup question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by john archer, Feb 15, 2012.

1. john archer

john archer Member

Hey guys..I realize his pickups are a hot item right now and there are a few other threads about them. I have his 50s/60s set in my wildwood 10 '57 ri. The guitar is an ash/maple combo. The guitar sounds great...but I hear that the mid '60's are best for maple/ash strats and that the 50's/60's are for Alder/rosewood strats. Has anyone tried them in both types of guitars? What is the difference? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me:)

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Haha, my fear/questions as well! I have an ash strat and while I hear that the 50/60s is the set to get I want what will compliment my strat the best, so I'm leaning towards 60s. We'll see!

3. john archer

john archer Member

4. john archer

john archer Member

5. Zero G

Zero G Member

Don't believe the hype. With Strat pups, it all comes down to the individual guitar as a whole rather than whether it's an alder/rosewood, or ash/maple combo.

macmax77 likes this.
  6. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

That's right.. Both sets can sound superb in either type of guitar wood.

7. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Not to disagree with my esteemed, and more than likely vastly more educated on the topic than myself, TGP fellows...but when discussing with Ron himself the difference in conversation - which he brought up I might add - he recommended certain sets for certains woods, but further said that sometimes a 50/60s set works with ash and sometimes not. It's not likely to make him another sale if the consumer he's talking to is simply wavering between the two when he offers returns for a full refund or a different set.

8. john archer

john archer Member

Thanks for your input guys...I spoke with Ron awhile back and he basically said that it really depends on the guitar...just wondering if anyone actually tried both in the same guitar.