• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ron Ellis pickups rule

doublee

Again, what are you comparing these to? I have been around here long enough to read the ecstasy for SD then Lollar then Mare then Hammel then Stuart then Ellis etc etc and each apparently blows the previous away...but its a simple device at core and Leo didnt even play guitar and was deaf in one ear so........WTF?

MasterEvan07

Where's that buzzing coming from...?
Gold Supporting Member
I've only swapped my pups a few times and I really can't speak for a lot of makers - none of the ones I've tried have been bad, but I have found marked improvements towards what I'm seeking tonally in my most recent change. There will always be a new end-all-be-all I suppose, still I'm excited to try Ron's stuff :)

throbert

I ordered mine in May which going on 6 months. I tried contacting him recently by phone and email but he won't respond. I would just like to get an estimate as to when they might arrive. I agree $309.00 to pay completely up front is a fair amount of $ at least it is to me. I guess I just have to be patient but a simple reply would nice. When I ordered he estimated 6-7 months B/O time.

AJ Love

a one year wait time and they are very rarely sold Used. That tells you a lot about how much people like Ellis pickups

johan

I have three sets at the moment so yeah, I like Rons pickups. :love:

Installed a set of Tele 50/60 & Standard + in my Cunetto-era Nocaster yesterday.
That guitar has always been fantastic but it has never sounded better . I plugged it in to my 50W Ojai-style amp and whao!!
A big grin from ear to ear. All modes were useful and just as good. Clean or OD, PAB or not.
Dynamic, powerful, twangy, sweet and hot enough for rock and roll.

I also have a set of 50B/MT + a 50/60 Strat as well. Haven't tried the Strat set yet. The 50B set was great as well but the 50/60 fit that particular guitar better. Now I need more guitars :(

Vegas Bob

You're going to love the Ellis 50/60's Strat set. Crazy good.
I have a set in an EJ Strat that has the Hot Bridge. Combining the Ellis pickups with the EJ wiring makes the 1st and 2nd positions bigger, fuller and better than any Strat I've played.

Just put a set of Raw Vintage Brand springs in it. Wow...bet $20 I've spent.
I replaced the Fender Springs and a Tremsetter that had been installed. The Raw Vintage Springs really brought the guitar to life.

I've owned a bunch of Strats but this one is my all time favorite.

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
You're going to love the Ellis 50/60's Strat set. Crazy good.
I have a set in an EJ Strat that has the Hot Bridge. Combining the Ellis pickups with the EJ wiring makes the 1st and 2nd positions bigger, fuller and better than any Strat I've played.

I replaced the Fender Springs and a Tremsetter that had been installed. The Raw Vintage Springs really brought the guitar to life.

I've owned a bunch of Strats but this one is my all time favorite.
+10 on the Raw Vintage Springs got them in all my Strats for the same reason. When you say positions 1 and 2 sound bigger and better do you mean the Bridge as #1 or the Neck pickup?

Last edited:

johan

Actually it's a 50/60 set with a hot bridge and a mid 60s middle pickup for more quack.

alane011

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought a guitar more for the Broadcaster/Mid-tall set rather than the guit itself (well not exactly but sort of) ;)

AJ Love

Just bought a guitar more for the Broadcaster/Mid-tall set rather than the guit itself (well not exactly but sort of) ;)
Congrats! I've actually considered that route as well... the one year wait time for a set of Ellis pickups is a bit, well, daunting to say the least

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
He's got some prototypes done and they're in Nashville being tested. Can't say more than that.
I have the strat pickups and they`re jaw dropping through my Brown Super .
For my next jones ...... Do you know when he`ll take orders on the PAF`s ?

thanks

pbradt

I have the strat pickups and they`re jaw dropping through my Brown Super .
For my next jones ...... Do you know when he`ll take orders on the PAF`s ?

thanks
No, I don't, AFAIK, there is no target date for selling them. I suspect it will be a while as I believe he wil fulfill his existing single-coil orders before he begins selling PAF-style pickups.

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
is this dude the freakin loch ness monster of pickup makers? where the hell do you even order these things? get a website together!

teleclem

Yeah, their springs are awesome. :aok

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
Still a year wait on his pups right ? Love to get some but man, I'm just not that patient. I could be dead in a year........

jamison162

Still a year wait on his pups right ? Love to get some but man, I'm just not that patient. I could be dead in a year........
Hahaha, true. I'm glad I got in early, over a year ago and satisifed my curiosity. I ended up sticking with the Don Mares though. Got a Voodoo TE50 bridge pickup I need to try out.

Vegas Bob

The Raw Vintage springs are made to the original specs from the 50's. The correct metal, the correct diameter and the right amount of tension in the spring.

The newer springs are harder, thinner and have too much tension. I was only using three.

The Raw Vintage let me put all five on. Once I dialed in the tension the guitar felt completely different and sounded much more "alive". The amount of force needed to use the trem bar is perfect.

I really like the Strat before this change but was considering pulling the Ron Ellis pickups out and selling it off. Now it's a keeper!

AJ Love

Hahaha, true. I'm glad I got in early, over a year ago and satisifed my curiosity. I ended up sticking with the Don Mares though.
Can you elaborate on what you liked more about the Don Mares than the Ellis pickups and which Don Mares you are using?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom