Ron Ellis Pickups....where to order from?

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
Does Ron Ellis have a web site? I know he has a facebook page but how does one go about placing an order? Does anyone know what the current wait time is?

Thank You
Ken

transmission

You don't order them, they order you.

As far as I know, he doesn't have a website, though there was some activity on his Facebook page last time I checked. However, I just ordered by emailing the address that will be in most threads you can find on the topic of Ron's pickups. Can't recall what it is right now.

Can't help on wait times. I am sure I read somewhere that he wasn't building anymore, or wasn't doing single coils and concentrating on the humbuckers, but may have been a rumour.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I wonder if the two year pickups are twice as good as the one year pickups.

I'm not making any excuses, but his pickups are no doubt some of the best I've personally heard, and Ron is a really, really nice guy when you talk to him. But that said, he's got an order list a mile long, and he works at his own pace. When his wife Lisa was helping him last year, he was able to focus on winding enabling him to catch up quicker, but she's not in the mix anymore, (she's working a separate full time job IIRC). Then you have guys ordering just to flip which adds to the wait. So there you go.

The set of 50/60's with Hot Bridge I have in my '69 CS Strat are like nothing I've ever heard save for a real '65 Strat I played a while back, (my benchmark Strat sound). I'll spare you the superlatives, but "Bell Like", "Focused", "Blooming" are the words I'd use to describe them. The toughest decision I've got to make is what to do with the second set I have...as I have a few Strats I'd love to put them in.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
Good luck my friend. Many got tired of waiting despite how " good " they sound. Patience & GAS don't often go with each other.......

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Good luck my friend. Many got tired of waiting despite how " good " they sound. Patience & GAS don't often go with each other.......
Hey Anthony....I was just thinking about you today when I was remembering that Red Custom Shop Strat you sold me. Hope you're doing well!

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone know if the wait times for humbuckers are shorter than single coils?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Does anyone know if the wait times for humbuckers are shorter than single coils?

My experience has been that the wait time for any of his pickups are extensive, but the humbuckers take a slight bit less time to receive than his single coils. Why? I couldn’t really say.

Now I can say a few things with 100% certainty; 1) Ron is one of the nicest guys there is (I won’t bore you with my stories) and 2) the 50’s/60’s Hot Bridge single coil set he makes is second to none and finally, 3) his Tele style pickups are just as good. The result; lots of orders.....but one person making product and running the show (I’m making an assumption here that things haven’t changed since we last spoke).

The back story is that few years ago after his wife left the business to take a full time job with good benefits, (those of us who have been self employed can relate) Ron became responsible for handling all the day to day things his wife took care of so well (she is a sweetheart too).

So now all the emails (when we last spoke he said he had to set aside at least 1-2 hours a day just to deal with that aspect IIRC) as well as now take care of actual ordering process, build pickups, manage the waitlist and take care of all the other organizational stuff that his wife did so well. So it all means that wait times have extended.

Going back to become a one person company again, trying to produce products and be responsive to customers in a timeframe that doesn’t seem unreasonable reflects into longer waiting. Remember that waiting for his pickups when his wife worked for him was not unlike the wait times for a Pete Cornish TTE or Super Chorus or an Analogman KOT for example, but now it’s anyones guess.

I can say this; if you are super patient and want some S,T or Humbucker style pickups that will leave you feeling as though you won the lottery, it’s worth the wait. I ordered two sets of the 50/60’s and I’m so paralyzed by what to with my second set that they are still in the box and it’s driving me crazy. The first set I put in a Fender CS ‘69 in Lake Placid blue (and they replaced the Abbey’s that were in it originally), and to say I was totally blown away is an understatement.

I have no skin in the game here, and my posting history reflects the fact that I rarely if ever do the “Fanboi” thing, but the bottom line is if you want his pickups, it’s going to be at least 8-12 months (if not longer)....and you won’t be disappointed once you get them. And if you are, I imagine that selling them would take any sting out of the inconvenience of having to had wait so long. YMMV.

MasterEvan07

Where's that buzzing coming from...?
Gold Supporting Member
My experience has been that the wait time for any of his pickups are extensive, but the humbuckers take a slight bit less time to receive than his single coils. Why? I couldn’t really say.

Now I can say a few things with 100% certainty; 1) Ron is one of the nicest guys there is (I won’t bore you with my stories) and 2) the 50’s/60’s Hot Bridge single coil set he makes is second to none and finally, 3) his Tele style pickups are just as good. The result; lots of orders.....but one person making product and running the show (I’m making an assumption here that things haven’t changed since we last spoke).

The back story is that few years ago after his wife left the business to take a full time job with good benefits, (those of us who have been self employed can relate) Ron became responsible for handling all the day to day things his wife took care of so well (she is a sweetheart too).

So now all the emails (when we last spoke he said he had to set aside at least 1-2 hours a day just to deal with that aspect IIRC) as well as now take care of actual ordering process, build pickups, manage the waitlist and take care of all the other organizational stuff that his wife did so well. So it all means that wait times have extended.

Going back to become a one person company again, trying to produce products and be responsive to customers in a timeframe that doesn’t seem unreasonable reflects into longer waiting. Remember that waiting for his pickups when his wife worked for him was not unlike the wait times for a Pete Cornish TTE or Super Chorus or an Analogman KOT for example, but now it’s anyones guess.

I can say this; if you are super patient and want some S,T or Humbucker style pickups that will leave you feeling as though you won the lottery, it’s worth the wait. I ordered two sets of the 50/60’s and I’m so paralyzed by what to with my second set that they are still in the box and it’s driving me crazy. The first set I put in a Fender CS ‘69 in Lake Placid blue (and they replaced the Abbey’s that were in it originally), and to say I was totally blown away is an understatement.

I have no skin in the game here, and my posting history reflects the fact that I rarely if ever do the “Fanboi” thing, but the bottom line is if you want his pickups, it’s going to be at least 8-12 months (if not longer)....and you won’t be disappointed once you get them. And if you are, I imagine that selling them would take any sting out of the inconvenience of having to had wait so long. YMMV.

Is he still money up front?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom