Ron Ellis Pickups....where to order from?

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
I got in touch with Ron a few years ago and he responded. Once. Never heard from him again! I tried e few more times but eventually gave up. Does he still answer emails? I would love to buy a set!

The same happened to me a couple of months ago. He kindly replied to my first email with a spec sheet of all his pickups. I replied with what I’d like to order and haven’t heard back. The guy is obviously overwhelmed. If he’d hire someone to handle the customer service, it would pay for itself and bring in a lot more profit to his bottom line, but alas here we are. If you’re lucky enough to get them, enjoy them. They sound great from what I can tell.

bukowski

I ordered in mid May 2020 and they are in the post ( sat at customs for a couple weeks) I guess I feel lucky and was surprised when I got a PayPal notification that they shipped so he is now quoting 4 months and I’ve got them in less then 3 months not bad. But I may be selling them lol

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
You guys need to remember that Ron winds pickups as a hobby. He has a a stressful (I imagine) day job.
he winds when he had time and feels like it.

skeeterbuck

You guys need to remember that Ron winds pickups as a hobby.
If he's selling them it's NOT a hobby. It sound more to me like a poorly run business.

I think this is similar to the PIO tone capacitor discussion. I think in a blind test, I doubt that (other than Eric Johnson) any of us could tell than apart from other well made pickups. It's the same with original PAF's. When you pay a premium for something it "must" be better .

cherrick

If you really need a set of Ron Ellis humbuckers, buy a Gibson Lee Roy Parnell .sig Les Paul and rip 'em out. You want one of the earliest Lesters, probably the Gold Top '57 RI. The '59' RI .sig Lesters ended up with '57 Classics; I think Ron Ellis could not supply Gibson quickly enough (100% my conjecture, spank and correct me if I'm wrong).

Danola03

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered a set of tele pickups (JL neck, 50 Broadcaster bridge) on one of the last days of July and just received them today.
He does have help now, I believe family is helping with some corespondence and shipping duties. My given estimate on the phone was that they were shooting for 8 weeks until shipped, they achieved that with my order.

I know nobody is asking for feedback, but.. I wasn’t able to play at louder volumes, but immediate impressions are that these are very musical pickups, and seem more articulate yet less harsh than the handwound Fenders that they’re replacing.
so far I am very happy with them

Danola03

Silver Supporting Member
What are the closest alternatives for the tele pickups?
It depends on which of Ron’s pickups you mean.
The closest I’ve played was a handwound set I had in a 52 fender custom shop, with a twisted tele in the neck and Broadcaster in the bridge.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
If he's selling them it's NOT a hobby. It sound more to me like a poorly run business.

I think this is similar to the PIO tone capacitor discussion. I think in a blind test, I doubt that (other than Eric Johnson) any of us could tell than apart from other well made pickups. It's the same with original PAF's. When you pay a premium for something it "must" be better .

I'll have to disagree with you here. I'm no Fanboi....but I did work in a studio and for an independent record label so I know a little about tone. Now I'll qualify my statement with the fact that I've only purchased two sets of his 50's/60's with Hot Bridge Single Coil Pickups (so I can't compare his Tele or Humbucker pickups to anything I've previously owned....but the chime, sparkle and clarity of the '69 Fender Custom Shop SSS Strat I placed the Ellis pickups in brought that guitar to a whole different level. And when John Neff heard them as I was gigging that Start with my Bogner Goldfinger he said it was the "best" live Strat tone he'd ever heard.

I'm happy to hear Ron is getting help again. His wife Lisa (IIRC) was doing all the book keeping and handling the orders, as well as updating the website and things ran smooth as Ron could just concentrate on doing what he did best. But she had to leave the pickup business (I won't divulge the reasons she shared with me but any oif us would have had to do the same thing at the time. Anyway....there's very few products that I would so openly speak so highly of or defend (despite some of the issues Ron faced as a solo business operator affecting his delivery times) but our phone calls and emails were always incredibly enjoyable and informative.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom