Ron Ellis single coil lead times

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Tonemeister69, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mmarchi21

mmarchi21 Silver Supporting Member

Ordered single coils. To clarify I got on the waiting list about 12 months ago and followed up a few months ago and heard back, paid, and have been waiting for a few months now. I've sent a few emails after 3 weeks passed but have not heard back.

2. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Seems that these Ellis pickups can overshadow his delivery reputation!

3. qyetyme

qyetyme Member

Similarly, I put myself on the wait list, and got an invoice for payment in April, with an expected wait of 6 months. End of Dec he told me my pickups were shipping the following week.

4. RyanC.

RyanC. Member

And you haven't received them?

5. Macleod

Macleod Member

I have almost 17 years under me, and I can attest that single coils are a PITA compared to humbuckers. The lacquering and drying eat up a lot of time. Getting the "skeleton" ready to wind takes a considerable amount of time.

6. qyetyme

qyetyme Member

No I have not, and the last 4 attempts to contact him via email have gone unasnwered.

7. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

^^^^ After paying when being asked then being ignored just shows no respect for his customers, IMO of course......

8. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

I'm six months in on my wait.... Another six months to a year and I'll have some Ellis pickups in my second Strat.

I bought a set used for my first Strat. I'm here to tell ya, they are worth the wait....
    Just sit back and forget about them......they will show up one day.. :D

9. Drewski

Drewski Silver Supporting Member

No thats not opinion, we can go ahead and state that as a fact. That action shows zero respect for paying customers regardless of who is doing it to whom. Intentions mean less than nothing, actions are reality.

10. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

But please understand just how busy Ron is. He has a family and another job, I hear? Because of this, he has a free pass to treat his customers in this manner. Plus, it seems that the orders continue to come in!

11. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Telesupro, I pondered that quote as well. Then I applied it instantly to a situation I am in right now with a guy who makes guitars.

12. beorn

beorn Member

Hopeful hype builds and spreads quickly; doubtful reality builds and spreads slowly.

13. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Beorn, are you saying that you don't think his products are in heavy demand?

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Did I mention I have 5 sets? I played a strat with Ron's 50/60 set tonight and it was sonic and tactile nirvana for three hours.

15. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

^^^ Five sets....obviously helps to know someone and I understand now why you are given to such hyperbole.

I played a 3+ hour gig Saturday night with Suhr V60LPs in my S type and DiMarzio Areas i my T and, though I didn't see God, the pickups sounded great, didn't cost an arm and a leg and I received them in the mail within 3-4 days of ordering them. No magnets wrapped with copper wire are worth the cost and pain in the ass of dealing with Ron Ellis.

16. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I have the 50's/60's with hot bridge. It was worth the 15 month wait and they exceeded my expectations. To my ears, they are the best sounding Strat pups that I've ever played.

17. slopeshoulder

Hold on Sparky. First speak for yourself. Second, get your facts straight. Or try some Ellis pickups first.

A. I didn't know Ron at all before I became a customer, and I waited 18 months, after expecting a 6 month wait for the first sets. I'm currently waiting for another custom wind (very low wind LRP neck). When I first contacted him, he called and left a message, and I blew him off and got Suhrs. A year later, I called again. And the Ellis experience began. Another 18 months later.

B. YMMV, but my report is not hyperbole. My Ellis sets replaced pickups by Suhr, Klein, Wolfetone, Mare, and Lollar. All really terrific pickups by terrific guys, but not Ellis. IF your ears and hands can perceive the obvious differences. And the differences are based on specific things he does that others don't do. See how that works? No magic, rather it's even more knowledge, skill and dedication, as the overwhelming majority of his A-list and other customers will tell you. If you like, I can detail why Ellis pickups are better in my experience, pickup by pickup. Or you can enjoy your pickups and not comment on what you haven't experienced. I used to love my 7-8 girlfriends, until I married a 10. The 10 was better.

And yes, he's a very good guy. But he is very busy. It's no secret, so know that going in, or don't go in. In the meantime, as we wait, we can play the hell out of our excellent but not-quite-Ellis pickups and wait for the call that our stuff is ready.

Of course, you don't need Ellis pickups to sound great. But Ellis pickups will be even better. I like my old '99 V6 Passat and I make no apologies. But a Lamborghini is better, even though it's just metal parts stuck together. Unless you've never driven one.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  18. emjee

emjee Member

Out of all the strat sets, do you have a favorite?

19. slopeshoulder

No, not really. I suppose the 50/60 set insofar as it covers a lot of ground and is very versatile. The mid 60 set is great, a little more mids, a little fatter (enamel wire and different A5 magnets vs. those used in the bottom 3 of the 50/60 set, which is formvar). But I can add some mids in to the 50/60 from pedals. The 50/60 are very open and acoustic sounding, if that makes any sense. They really bloom and breathe (well, they all do).
    I haven't played the 59's, but they interest me. They're hand wound, but "layer wound" not scatter wound, although earlier sets were scatter wound. Apparently very chimey and forward, very ripping I'm told. I just don't have a guitar to put them in!

BTW, I have the "hot bridge" for both. It's not really hot per se, but more "balanced" and useful vs. the other two. It uses thinner Broadcaster style wire. But it uses the same magnets and wire material as in the other 2 pickups in the set. Ron makes it so every position is like the ultimate example of that position, and it's really true.