Ron Kirn build pictorial link

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone_Terrific, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

This very topic has a thread in the "small company / luthiers" forum...go check it out!

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

That's where I got the link, although I did misname the forum in my original post. I just thought that there may be others who. like me, do not get to all the forums regularly, and I would do my community service for the week.

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I think that's what he's saying. I posted the link, and I REALLY think anyone who's remotely interested in how a good guitar comes to life should read it.

The humor is worth the read, but the info on contours, glue, nitro, "thin skins", shaping, wiring, shielding, etc, etc, etc, etc, is spectacular.

I'll be honest, in that, this build changed the way I look at the small builder, custom guitar option. Having a "Buck Owens" style Tele built with this much care would be an investment that would pay off for years.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great thread. I don't hang out at tdpri very often but it seems to me there are more build threads there than here, no?

Thanks for the link.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

I thought it was interesting too - surprised that Ron doesn't make his own necks though - or does he??
    For some reason I cannot join tdpri - no idea why....

Best, Pete.

7. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

I've actually been contemplating doing one of those.... been a big Buck Fan since I first saw Hee Haw back when it started...

I do some of my necks, but tend not to... the time it takes makes having Tommy Rosamond of USACG practical, and Tommy, does spectacular necks.
    Thank you for that. It is one of the most meaningful compliments I have read.

There are many great luthiers out there, many of whom stay in contact with each other. If you are contemplating an up-scale guitar, you really owe it to your self to approach one and see what can happen. Many offer a very broad spectrum of styles and options, many of which are simply not offered by the “big guys” custom shops.

The “Big guys” brings another thought to mind. Few realize who the guys are that build the big guys CS guitars or where they came from. Most were guys just like me, building special guitars in their personal shops, and were approached by someone in a suit and made an offer. That offer, when accepted, doubles the cost of the guitars they would make, but doesn’t make ‘em any better or worse for that matter. The CS puts out some spectacular guitars too.

But cost is a factor in the “real” world. Many of my contemporaries, and myself included, feel that once you push the price of a guitar to the 3500 level, you’ve done about everything to it you can within the realm of reality. You can push it higher, custom inlays, hand caved relief, exotic wood, etc, but none of that does a thing to make it more playable, or sound better. It’s just a fashion statement. If you want to pay for a name, that’s cool but names are just nomenclature.

For some, a specific name on the headstock is important. It that’s you, there is only one place to go, and I recommend you do so. If you do not, you will never be really happy. But those who are more in tune with a remarkable guitar, and aren’t impressed by a decal, you can do a lot worse than looking up a independent luthiers and exploring the possibilities.

Ron Kirn

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. go7

go7 Member

Ron; All I can say is "thank you".

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

That was an aweosme thread Ron. Even if I'll never build a guitar, I learned a lot. Really makes me want to buy one of your guitars.

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Dang Ron. Super nice work man! I know who is building me my next Strat ;AOK

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I love Buck and Don and those Teles that Fender made for them. Nobody does checkerboard binding, though. The black binding looks more "correct" than white, if you're going for the Buck look, but the checkerboard has some serious vibe.