Rondo Basses?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Beakertwang, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Are they decent? I'm a guitar player wanting an inexpensive player for occasional use. I had and sold a Ibanez SDGR which played nicely and sounded fine, but it was boring to look at. :p

I like the looks of this one, and they have some other cool ones too. I've seen a lot of Agile love, and a lot of Rondo "good for the money" comments. Wondering if anyone has experience.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eb9701trrd.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. TomRichards

TomRichards Member

Rondo, are exactly that, "good for the money." What that means is that you will get a very good quality import bass that will require at least a good set up, some clean up and a string change. As with a lot of the imports, you may find that there will be a bit of fret spout from temperature and climate changes, so some clean up there MAY be needed.

To give you some idea, there is absolutely zero basses at the $150 or below that don't have some small issue. The SX and other basses sold by Rondo have grown in reputation to be exceptional quality, again "for the price." I have played a few, one straight from the box, and they were okay.

What most bass players who buy these do is have the professional setup and fret spout clean up, replace the tuners with higher quality, and then a lot of times replace the electronics. So for a total investment of about $400 they have a good quality gig bass.

Having said that, if you are just looking to have something for occasional use, the bass you show, for the $199 will be fine.

3. Beakertwang

Are the tuners serviceable as is, or are they so bad that they must be changed?

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

They're fine as long as you string the bass properly.

5. TomRichards

TomRichards Member

Bgmacaw is correct, serviceable as is. But long term, you'll want to replace them. Don't have to be super expensive replacements either. A good made in Korea tuner will do the trick.

I worked at several major manufacturers, and especially on Chinese made products its the tuner hardware that is usually the first to be bad or go. On average, I saw about one in twenty basses that required one or two tuners replaced before they even went into inventory. I also own an import bass that has Fender vintage style tuners, made in China, and within the first year one is already "bad". The tolerance and assembly where the tuning key and post gears meet is off enough that the tuner actually slips, and its new. The other thing to watch for is the string over pickup pole piece alignment. That is the most common issue with very inexpensive imports. Neck pocket alignment and string over pickup alignment.

The thing to do if you by the Rondo is when you get it, check the tuners for smoothness, tension and tightness. If there is any wiggle in the tuning key, you might want to exchange the bass.

I'm not bashing the Rondo basses, so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to set for you a realistic expectation. You will find that a lot of Chinese made basses are great gigging basses from the start. The quality issues really pop up in the inconsistency between basses on the line. The first three might be stellar. The next two might be bad, the next four might be average.

6. Meals

Meals Member

SX and Douglas - expect some upgrade work

Brice - fantastic out of the box

7. Beakertwang

Awesome--thanks for the info everyone!