rondo floyd guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by einstein, Nov 24, 2005.

1. einstein

einstein Member

if a floyd rose costs aprox $200 to buy and aprox $200 to install how can rondo sell a floyd equipped guitar with a beautiful paintjob for apox$250?

If a floyd rose speed loader cost $250 to buy and $200 to install how can floyd rose sell a speed loader equiped guitar for RETAIL $450. thats assembled painted pickups frets all the works. Is it just quantity, overseas wages? I want a speedloader equiped guitar for my neices and nephews to play as they dont need to be tuned, perfect for youngsters who also have a deep apreciation for the wammy. You would not believe how much fun a 7 year old girl or boy has with a tremelo equiped guitar. Alison has developed her own style using her foot! She is on her way to her first relic lesson!

2. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

You can get a speedloader trem for $50, probably half that when you buy them in bulk, and I'm sure it costs about $2.00 for the Korean / Chinese tech to install them. Standard import guitar economics.

3. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

You actually have one of these chinese Floyd Speedloader guits Einstein? Is it decent? I love the idea of a floyd rose, but hate the idea of lock nuts, allen keys, blah blah......one of these speedloaders might be just the trick :)

4. einstein

einstein Member

where can i get a speedloader for $50?

my niece just came over for thanksgiving with her new rondo strat. i picked her out a pink one, but she got a lake placid blue maple neck. the paint looks great and it plays in tune. she is 7 and loves it.

i have heard amazing things about the speedloader and the strings.

anyone got one yet? dont they make reg floyds obsolete. I have never been a floyd fan, BUT im intrigued by the strings that dont need to be tuned. My luthier buddy told me he poped in the strings and they were already in tune!
    he fiddled very little with the fine tuners. Now that is genuis. Why didnt i think of that? How about a speedloader type system that sounds good and no wammy no headstock . the possibilities are really endless with this technology. where do i sign up?

5. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Guitarfetish.com sells a speedloader knockoff for $50.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroflotrsy.html

Keeping in mind the Rondo people are using inexpensive lic. units, it's probably something along those lines.

For the dollars, Rondos stuff has been great in my experience. I have a bass I bought there for simple recording stuff. I haven't found the need to upgrade yet.

6. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I've seen a video demo, and it looks incredible. Strings are made for the specific scale length, so as you say, you pop them in and they are in tune. It literally takes 20 seconds to restring the whole guitar, and be back in tune. Then you can whammy till your hearts content!
    :dude
    I'm pretty sure theres a Don Grosh on his website with a speedloader fitted. I'll see if I can find the pic - it would be interesting to hear what the top luthiers think of the idea?

7. einstein

einstein Member

thanks risschip very usefull info

i never said rondo had a speedloader. its a reg floyd. i meant when rondo does have a speedloader it would be perfect for a kid. no tuning, lots of wammy and floyds are very hard to change strings. oh yeah it would be nice for an adult too!

but what about a speedloader tunamatic simpler non wammy type bridge.
    someone could take this technology and really improve upon the basic design of guitars as we know them. you know, more user friendly.
    if strings take 20 seconds to change, we could you know change our strings when they are actually dead!!!!!!!

speedloaders for acoustics, pianos violins, as i said earlier the possibilities are endless. lets all think outside the box and stop doing and making the same old thing. it is going to be after all 2006?

in my humble opinion there suprisingly has been very little or NO improvement to the guitar since 1952.only the tom bridge and humbuckers, both of which i dont use. who would of thought in 1952, that was it, guitars would only get worse not better, in my humble opinion.

whats better than a 52 tele a 54 strat and a 54 lespaul? not much! in 50 years technology should have improved our beloved guitars. but instead we have smart bombs, chemacle weapons, genetically modified chickens, pesticides which cause cancer etc.

we should use technology to improve the quality of our lives so obviously guitars should come first. Lets not even go to how technology changed our tube amps to solide state. Lets face it most of us could be very happy with only guitars and amps from the 50 s and not much is better.

8. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Here it is - what a smokin guitar this looks like!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Awesome :cool:

9. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

The speedloader does come in a fixed bridge format.
    http://www.floydrose.com/fixedbridge.html

I'll see if I can find the video demo of the speedloader somewhere - if I can find it, I'll upload it and post back. You guyw will be amazed if you've never seen it before :eek:

10. einstein

einstein Member

i know i meant a really simpler version that was actually a stop, a tunamatic bridge and a stop nut

11. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

All I did was put some nice TI flatwounds on my Rondo bass. Nice sound, plays well, etc. My wife commented on the nice sound in our recordings.

12. einstein

einstein Member

so the thing to do would be to get a floyd rondo and swap the floyd out for a speedloader and let the kids and adults go wild. I always have the kids wash their hands before going through all my guitars and opening the cases. Tonight their faverite was the 56 maple neck strat and 60 sunburst. We just have one rule, NO FEET ON THE GUITARS AND NO FEET ON THE WAMMY bars!!!!
    My niece needs an amp to go with her rondo strat so of course i recdomended a marshall stack. She thought it was to big after checking out my 72, ( ITS TALLER THAN HER!) she says she wants a medium amp. any suggestions for an amp for a 7 year old taking lessons?????

13. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

those teent, tiny vox valvetronix are pretty sweet for the dollar. Or how about one of those 3 foot mini-marshall stacks? Go ahead, you know you want one :)

14. einstein

einstein Member

its totally useless, it doesnt use the floyd strings, its a quickloader, not a speedloader, its a reguler floyd. i didnt think floyd would license out the neat stuff so soon.

15. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

The smallest Roland Cube is a cool amp.

My question on the Speedloader is What do players that tune flat do?I imagine we would be out of luck.

16. therealting

therealting Member

I also like being able to use strings that sound good to me... seems with the Speedloader, you are limited to double-ended strings from a particular manufacturer (SOS for example). At least with Steinbergers, you have the option of using regular strings too.

17. einstein

einstein Member

strings that are in tune sound best to me . i have never used speedloader strings but my luthier friends were amazed

18. dieselJosh

dieselJosh Member

MF now has the Floyd Rose Discovery series guitars, with both fully floating and fixed bridge type speedloader bridges, for $149!! Has anybody cashed in yet?

19. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Actually... I find the FR Speedloader to be a one trick pony and mighty gimmick-y.

As mentioned, you can only use Speedloader strings. I can't imagine going for a gig and busting say... 2 high E strings... and you have no other speedloader strings around plus the local stores just have Daddarios.

As least on the old FRs, if your string breaks near to the bridge, you can unwind a round or 2 of string from the tuner and relock the string - reusing it.