Rondo's Cheap Stuff

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stringrazor, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

has floored me with their playability. I don't personally have any yet but one buddy has 3 and so does another. The 3 I've played, an Agile LP a sub $200 three P90 SX and a bass, have all played and sounded great. The SX was practically dirt cheap. I figured for sure it would be a dog but after a little setup, not even that much, I was lovin' it. It's kinda ugly but yet very comfortable to play and it sounded great.

So, what's the catch? Do they warp after a year or so because the wood is so green? Is it wrong to like these guitars!?!?

2. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I enjoyed the Agile P-90 Valkyrie I had, no probs. Gigged dead stock.

[​IMG]

Haven't played the SXs.

3. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

They're real popular. I might get an Agile LP soon.

4. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I've got two. Both outstanding.

5. thisHEREgiraffe

thisHEREgiraffe Member

I like the way they play but found the hardware is rather cheap.

6. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

i have an Agile, a Douglas and two SX's. The Agile and Douglas are sweet.

The SX's needed some work, as they came with horrendous tuners and nuts. the pickups were not good either. but now, after a few minor upgrades, I'm really happy with both.

7. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I didn't have any problems with the tuners or nut on the Liquid SX my buddy just got when I played it and the 3 P90s sounded damn good!

8. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

For a couple hundred bucks, you get a nicely finished LP copy.

Spend another couple hundred on some top shelf electronics, and you have a great sounding guitar.

Buy some nice Grover or Schaller tuners and you have an axe that will rival many $1500+ guitars for less than $600.

The only downside is that you don't have a cool name on the headstock.;)

9. GuitarZan92

GuitarZan92 Member

For the money they are awesome guitars! I like Agiles much better than Epiphones. I have an Agile AL-2500, and I like it much better than my MIK Epi LPC Black Beauty. Its one of my main gigging guitars. Picked it up on CL for $150 with a set of Duncans. I love it! :)

10. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I have 2, an AL3100 and an AL3000M, great guitars, very well made and can keep up quite nicely against their more expensive brethren.

I did swap the pups and tuners but that wasn't because they were faulty, I just put locking tuners on everything and wanted a certain style of pickup (original PAF style build). Start at the AL3100 series, better electronics.

11. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Member

:noevil

I'll just say "not my cup o' instant coffee".

12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to get one of those SX Liquid guitars soon. I'm prepared to spend some coin on upgrades, but hopefully not, as I'll never get my money back if I sell it. I hated the shape, but after I saw it strapped onto a few people on YouTube, it started to make sense. Rondo has a lousy video of Nick Curran of The Fabulous Thunderbirds playing a black one onstage, and it sounds nice.

I think the SX and Douglas guitars are "good for the money" guitars, as long as you don't compare them to a high-dollar electric. Take them for what they are, fix 'em up and they'll play fine. I'd take an SX with me on vacation, or throw it in my office at work-if I had one. In other words, anyplace where it might get stolen or beat up.

13. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

I USED tyo be not a Les Paulguy. Wanted a les paulish, so I got the 225.00 Al2k, after a few prefernces, I cant put it down

14. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

An Agile thread without me and Dspellman commenting is like daytime without the sun!

I have two Agiles and they are tougher than nails. One is from their "cheaper" side, AD-201:

[​IMG]

And I do mean it when I say they are tough. That AD-201 has been thrown, slammed on the ground, dropped, and been on a few mini-tours. Never had an issue... it is mostly stock except for the pickups - which (actually) didn't need to be replaced as they were perfectly fine. Matter of fact, they are installed in ANOTHER guitar. :D

15. b2sc

b2sc Member

As a guy who loves LPs and has owned many (25-30) over the past 30 years, I avoided these Agiles for a long time. I currently own 4 LPs; 2 Vintage, 2 Historics.

I wanted to check out a LP with a factory Floyd without shelling out $2500+ for an Axcess. I saw Rondo had a pretty cool FR equipped model that was solid, full thickness and a modified neck joint similar to the LP Axcess priced at $198. What did I have to lose? (other thsan my time and $50 if i flipped it).

Ordered it, got it in a simple cardboard box 4 days later and pulled it out. It played pretty good out of the box. I changed strings, lowered the action a bit, tweaked the truss rod and cranked it up. It played great and the FR stayed in tune perfectly. The stock ceramic pickups were thin and screechy IMO so I popped in a ToneZone I had and the guitar came alive. I later placed a Liquifire in the neck and thisd guitar now breaths fire.

This is not the same quality as my Historics or vintage Gibsons but cheap guitars have come a long, long way since the late 70s when there was nothing but crap in the under $600 range. I do use this guitar live for the Floyd req'd songs and I've got no problem at all with the way thee sound and play. Too bad the headstock is so long it doesn't fit in any of my Gibosn cases though...

16. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

i agree with you on all points except the last one. Agile is cool.

17. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

:agree

i never bought an Epiphone LP because none of the ones i ever played at GC impressed me. my Agile AL-2000 knocked my socks off.

18. beckerman

beckerman Member

I've owned two SX models and one Douglas and that's pretty much my assessment. They're fine on their own but will need some parts changes to be 'really good'. The Agiles were definately a step above in all accounts and I'm sure that was intended.

If you stop comparing them to their brand name counterparts and just evaluate them as a guitar you'll find great value in all three lines.