Ronin Foilbucker players... a couple of questions

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jerrod, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking about a Mirari order. I'm curious about your experiences with controls. I'm typically a Tele (or similar) player... so just volume, tone, 3-way.

What's your preferred control setup and why? I'm thinking about the following arrangements:
    * Volume/Tone/ with coil splits
    * Volume/Volume/Tone with coil splits
    * Volume/Tone
    * Volume/Volume/Tone

Any thoughts? How fast do the pickups clean up, and do the coil splits add much to the party?

Thanks!

2. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I'm a tele guy too. Always will be my #1 electric guitar.

That being said, I ordered my Mirari to have:

Volume Neck
    Volume Bridge
    Master Tone
    Coil Splits

3. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I have Volume/Tone and coil splits. I hardly ever use the tone knob on these pickups. The coil splits do add to the party. The pickups clean up really well under gain. My favorite tones come from my Ronins through Voxish amps set dirty. Unreal.

4. Dindu

Dindu Member

Volume\Tone and coil splits.
    awesome incarnate.

5. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

I have volume neck, volume bridge with master tone and split coils.
    I really love having two volumes, it brings another dimension to the game and I use tone a lot in split mode, rolled down for one third brings me to beautiful "stratish" land (trick I've learned from John himself).
    Full mode Foilbuckers on the edge of breakup sound otherworldly good!

6. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I have 2 volumes, 2 tones. I don't know how much I need 2 tones and will be trying 2V, 1T on the Badmoon. I use the volumes as EQ. I like a lot of neck pickup and then dial in the bridge if the neck is too thick. And it differs playing alone versus with others. But the foilbuckers don't really need that - the neck alone is full & meaty without being too thick or dull and the bridge cuts without being too strident. And the attack on the lower strings is otherworldly good. The Mirari covers a lot of options.

7. Jerrod

Thanks everyone. It sounds like the splits is a must-do. Now to decide on VT vs VVT. :)

8. LoneFurrow

LoneFurrow Member

I have a Mirari on order too. I've settled on 2 volumes plus master tone. Besides the additional flexibility, I want the jack socket on the side rather than face of the guitar. John Reed said they have to add either a volume or tone to the normal control layout when they do jack on the side, so there's just a small upcharge (~ $50) for extra pot, cap, wire and labour.

I'm currently dithering over fretboard wood - cocobolo or rosewood - as I still have time to change my mind.

9. Qmax

Qmax Member

I went with (Mirari order) the one for vol and one tone with the coil splits- jack on top. That configuration works for me- I like simple!

10. RoninGuitars

RoninGuitars Member

Mirari Tone Trick #5

Split both pickups (all three positions apply), crank up an old single channel amp, roll the tone off 15% and you'll have a Smörgåsbord of traditional "single coil" sounds. These pickups split in a variety of usable ways. Going back to Foilbucker mode from single when you have some dirt/grit enabled acts like the perfect vol/mid boost.

These pickups have unparalleled clarity and definition which is balanced and rounded out by the highly resonant old growth redwood. The tone control is your best friend here because it is completely usable throughout the entire wheel.

The Mirari, Songbird and Kingbird have a 1x Vol and 1x Tone because it is easy to play/access/manipulate in a live situation—which is how we think of all our instruments. Jack on they top just requires a good L cable and it looks awesome. We stick to this layout when customers want a jack on the side because it is part of the "Ronin" aesthetic. Two tones or Two Volumes also have their advantages for shaping tone which we certainly respect and many customers love.

11. Jerrod

So, I might have sort of accidentally bought a Mirari used here on TGP. It has 1V/1T/splits/top jack. I'm still monkeying with it and need to try Mirari Tone Trick #5 a bit. Love the guitar. I think I'll like it even more after I dig a screwdriver up and mess with the trem setup a bit. :)

12. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Sort of accidentally - the best kind.

13. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly the setup I have and I love it. I would never recommend getting a Mirari w/o the splits. It's just too good.

Enjoy! You are on a guitar journey!