• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Ronnie Wood Faces Tone

Dubious

Was jamming last night and my buddy had his SG running into his v4.

Usually runs it on 1-2 with dirt but just fer the hell of it put it on 5. Instant faces tone. Massive, wooly, tones of attitude.

I opened for Ron Wood playing bass w/Jeff Beck feat. Rod Stewart, Mickey Waller on drums and Nicky Hopkins on piano. Boston Tea Party, '68. They were completely broke, had to stay at various houses we set up for them around Cambridge. I drove Mickey home every night to some crash pad or other. The band was just on the verge of breaking up right before the tour, but their road manager, Pete Grant, booked them into this short tour of the States as an act of final desperation. They showed up one day with their entourage of cute and super nice Cockney girlfriends, kicking a soccer ball around, all of them super short, none of them taller than my armpits. Great guys, no attitude. Their reviews from The Boston Tea Party were as good or better than those from NY: "By the time Beck got to his last number... (the fans) were in a state of pandemonium the likes of which hadn't been witnessed since The Beatles hit town." This was The Jeff Beck Group. Nobody had ever heard of any of the other guys like Wood or Stewart. But Ronnie played killer bass, a very natural musician.
That is so cool you opened for Beck in the early days.. I moved to Massachusetts in 1971 to attend Berklee. Still here .
Any bands I may have heard of you were in ? I have gigged extensively in MA. Lots of South Shore. RI, NH. Co-wrote and played lead and bass on a song on WCOZ compilation.
Still gigging at age 67 .

Last edited:

AL30

The blue check Ampegs do have fantastic cleans. But, if you hit them with humbuckers and get the volume up to around 6 or 7 they have a really big, garage-y break-up. I've got a few blue checks with different power tubes and they all have a similar break-up.

The V-Series amps are different beasts but they're great amps. The break-up is different but they are more versatile and bigger sounding. The VT-40 in particular. That amp has a mean streak in it.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
The blue check Ampegs do have fantastic cleans. But, if you hit them with humbuckers and get the volume up to around 6 or 7 they have a really big, garage-y break-up. I've got a few blue checks with different power tubes and they all have a similar break-up.

The V-Series amps are different beasts but they're great amps. The break-up is different but they are more versatile and bigger sounding. The VT-40 in particular. That amp has a mean streak in it.
A VT-40 also has a serious heavy streak too!

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
Ron Wood sounded best when he used his Hiwatt amp and his red 60's Strat
(used on Gasoline Alley album). Only used until about 1971 (a couple of Brit/European/US tours in 1969/70). This was recorded in the fall of 1970. No Ampeg here. It's a Hiwatt.
What a glorious sound.

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
It looks like he's using a Princeton with one of his Zemaitas' in this video. I've been playing a Princeton for years and never got it to sound like that. But then, he's Ronnie Wood and I'm not!

I think, stress, think, his Zematis had a pre-amp boost to overdrive that Princeton.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
I went on a faces tone quest a few years back. I was trying to do a semi faithful recreation of woody’s tone.
The two pedals that really helped were the catilinbread ampeg pedal and a heavy lid effects shoals drive.

I ran them into a deluxe reverb and worked pretty well.

Trending Topics