Ronnie Wood - New Gibson Guitar / What Is It?

RV52

Pic is from Feb. 4 2014, taken in Paris.

From Ronnie's Twitter-account:
"Playing my new gibsonguitar in my breakingbad rehearsal T-shirt stonesonfire"

First I thought it's an L5-S. But then the binding is thinner on this one here.
Anybody able to identify that guitar?

[/

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
Kind of looks like a Les Paul Florentine with more of a Venetian cutaway

Last edited:

RocksOff

Looks like an L5S version to me. He and Keef had single pickup versions of these in the past.
The top is flat rather than carved. That's pretty indicative.

rastus

It's a new adaptation of an L5S, looks like. Top is very arched, but quite shallow like an original. Appears to lack the very wide binding, and appears not to have an L5 style neck but one more akin to that of a les paul custom.I worked there when the black single cut ones were made. Neck line did build the necks, but bodies were ones we had from back in the 70's. Phil Jones built them, and he plugged the extra control holes before they were neck fitted and routed for the single humbucker. A few years later the rest of those bodies were used up when a limited run of replicas of kieth and Ronnies custom pieces were made. Those bodies ( as well as other ones that were expensive to make) were kept on "the wall" which bordered Whitewood machine Dept and separated the area from the back house, where the rough shaping and carving machines were kept. Models such as the L5S, Johnny Smith, es347,and others were kept there. When the custom shop moved to the new facility down the street, this whole area was revamped. Many of those bodies were used up in the ensuing years for many projects, including the first of the "leGrande" models.

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
Not enough info, but it reminds me of his 3 p/u Zemaitis, but without the metal work, etc.

Flogger59

Maybe one of these: Les Paul Custom Lite. Body looks thin.

I think you've got it. This looks like it to me
Sorry guys, no back binding. Answer from one who knows below.

It's a new adaptation of an L5S, looks like. Top is very arched, but quite shallow like an original. Appears to lack the very wide binding, and appears not to have an L5 style neck but one more akin to that of a les paul custom.I worked there when the black single cut ones were made. Neck line did build the necks, but bodies were ones we had from back in the 70's. Phil Jones built them, and he plugged the extra control holes before they were neck fitted and routed for the single humbucker. A few years later the rest of those bodies were used up when a limited run of replicas of kieth and Ronnies custom pieces were made. Those bodies ( as well as other ones that were expensive to make) were kept on "the wall" which bordered Whitewood machine Dept and separated the area from the back house, where the rough shaping and carving machines were kept. Models such as the L5S, Johnny Smith, es347,and others were kept there. When the custom shop moved to the new facility down the street, this whole area was revamped. Many of those bodies were used up in the ensuing years for many projects, including the first of the "leGrande" models.