Ronnie Wood

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PdL, Sep 3, 2019.

1. markophonic

markophonic Silver Supporting Member

2. dazar

dazar Member

He had his own sound and style with the Faces; tremendously underrated player. One of the true musical tragedies of his joining the Stones is the disappearance of his unique guitar voice in the sonic porridge of the Stones' later work.

3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Very strange that he wasn't doing any solos. Granted Faces did rock music and solos weren't the focus of their music, and he has always been a real guitarist and not a wankerer, but he normally did some pretty great guitar work with them. Maybe he had a hand injury then or something.
    Most of the time he was doing fills that were like solos in behind the vocals.

Stratofuzz likes this.
  4. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

That would sound really weird.

5. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Yes.!
    I really lamented Mick Taylor leaving the band.
    When i heard Ronnie was joining, i thought.....Yes.!
    But then, it was like some other guy joined The Stones.
    Still, to this day, i do not understand what happened.
    It remains one of Rock and Roll's bigger mysteries. :dunno

lousyatit, Uncle Bob, dazar and 2 others like this.
  6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

i agree with this, but can't blame the guy for joining the Stones. No doubt he made more money his first couple of years in the Stones than in the rest of his career.
    His solo albums are really good, but for some reason his level of creativity as far as just plain old being able to make cool sounds with a guitar was never like it was with Faces after.
    His solo albums are really a great display of his talents. Slide On This jams.

Anyone who likes the Faces albums Nod and Long Player should check out a Wood/Lane album called Mahoneys Last Stand ( I think that is the name of it) . It is probably not that easy to find.
    I consider myself lucky to have come across a perfect CD of it at a junk store for half a buck.
    It sounds a great deal like those two Faces albums.

7. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Keith and Mick happened. Some HUGE personality in that band.

Washburnmemphis and PdL like this.
  8. dazar

dazar Member

I actually have Mahoney's Last Stand on vinyl; haven't dug it out in ages but I think I'll give it a spin.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I've always loved Ronnie's work wherever he went. Beck, Faces, Rod solo and The Stones. There are those who say Mick Taylor was better but he never fit in the way Ronnie did. Taylor always looked like he didn't want to be there but just look at Ronnie having the time of his life.

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Same! He’s amazing.

JK1965 likes this.
  11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I preferred Mick Taylor with the Stones because him and Mr Richards seemed to play off of each other better, and Mick Taylor did great fills during vocals, on their studio stuff. On what little live footage I have seen of him with the Stones he seemed to wanker a bit more and was less tasteful than on the albums. With the exception of YaYas , which he did some great work on.
    I think that is in part because Mr Richards was hitting his peak of creativity during that time.
    But overall, Ron Wood is a far better guitarist. It is just that the Stones seemed to have used up all their good ideas prior to Ron Wood joining them and god kind of bland after Black and Blue.

ChampReverb likes this.
  12. Tiny Montgomery

Are you calling Mick Taylor a wankerer?

ChampReverb and zzmoore like this.
  13. TheBigTim

TheBigTim Member

14. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

skhan007 likes this.
  15. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I don't think saying that a dude wankered sometimes necessarily labels him as a wankerer.
    He didn't do it on their studio albums ( or perhaps he did and they did multiple takes and the pieced the best of them together or something, who knows) and on the YaYas album his work is very tasteful.
    But, as I said, I have seen some footage of him playing where he was just noodling in the background and not doing stuff that was nearly as tasteful on albums.
    So, to be clear, the occasional wanker doesn't make him a wankerer necessarily.
    It isn't like he is one of those guys who was just playing pointless stuff over top of everything happening without regard to it. But it did seem at times he was doing that.
    And of course back then the Stones probably weren't as particular about what got released as they are now, the footage I have seen of them after Some Girls seems to be a lot more polished and choreographed. So perhaps they actually got into rehearsing for gigs after Ron Wood joined.

ChampReverb likes this.
  16. Tiny Montgomery

I honestly can’t tell whether or not you’re playing along with the joke. If so, props on the subtlety.

17. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

I like a lot of MT's work but have heard some concert recordings where he didn't stop from one end of the song til the other. Not bad stuff, just too much.

PdL and ChampReverb like this.
  18. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

That is what I am talking about. What he was doing just wasn't as tasteful as the albums.
    I have a feeling the Stones, up until the late 70s, had to really cherry pick to find live recordings that were good enough to release. YaYas was great, Mr Taylors work on it is excellent and sounds very practiced. But some of the other live stuff I have seen footage of, not so much.
    I've really got to wonder if after a while he didn't just start putting in his time on stage and drawing his paycheck, biding for the right time to bail, and if perhaps that is part of some of the video I have seen.
    I also noticed that he looked very somber and not at all like he was really into what he was doing.

No, I actually didn't pick up on any humor. The net being the net, and given the large amount of dudes posting here, picking up on personalities and those who inject subtle humor is often not as easy as looking someone in the face.

19. erksin

erksin Member

I find this opinion truly puzzling - IMO, he’s as full-on Woody as he could possibly be in The Stones. And Richards found a true musical soulmate with that guy. There’s a reason Richards played in New Barbarians - they were making the music he wanted to make at the time, not the Jagger/Preston half-assed funk stuff like ‘Fingerprint File’, etc. Woody brought The Stones back to square - lean and mean Rock n’ Roll with tons of in your face guitar work. I don’t know how anybody could lament his joining - he saved that band.

wntbtw and JK1965 like this.
  20. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member