Ronnie Wood

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PdL, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Once again you can't stop shooting yourself in the foot. I am not on a high horse - I happen to have principles and ethics - and like many here have come to realize that drinking and drugging are not good choices
    for anyone. I also don't feel sorry for anyone who does drink, smoke and drug themselves and gets cancer. There is more than enough information out - and has been since the 1960s that smoking is horrible for
    you - drinking excessively is horrible for you - and doing drugs is worse than all of them.

You can have your opinion - but you have no right to make fun of mine.

2. erksin

erksin Member

3. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

And the Stones are lucky to have him. Having read both Ronnie and Keith's books, I feel pretty sure that the Stones (and specifically the Glimmer Twins) would have imploded decades ago without the amiable Ronnie Wood to grease the broken cogs of a rough-hewn machine.

Ronnie may be a walking disaster, but he is supremely gifted, and he seems to know that both of these things are true. He's hugely confident in his musical ability, and yet fairly open about his faults. And he is not the limelight-craving ego some others have become.

I don't like glorifying anyone. I'm old enough to know that everyone disappoints. Most especially, we disappoint ourselves. But I do think there's an art to a life that has played with the Jeff Beck Group, Faces, Stones, and as much as anyone, Wood embodies the frayed thread that runs through the modern history of rock.

I remember watching TV the day that three of my all-time favourite musicians took the stage together, Wood, Richards & Dylan, and completely cocked up worse than any amateur I know. A photo of it is linked in the OP (1985). It still makes me nod my head and mutter.... "yep, so much for heroes."

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I really dig his stuff with the Faces, both his slinky leads and that 12-string rhythm work ("Every Picture Tells a Story, Don't It?" -- phew!).

It's hard to get a sense of him in the Stones, he seems to disappear in the mix with them, but his earlier stuff is stellar.

dazar likes this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Ain't nothin' wrong with taking the piss on occasion :)

SteveO and PdL like this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'll limit myself to pointing out the obvious, that cancer strikes those who don't drink and drug pretty often too -- and that determining the actual cause of the cancer is a fool's quest, usually.

I reckon if you're cool with judging people, you should be cool with folks judging you too.

7. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's no Pete Drake, but just being able to make a pedal steel go, even at a rudimentary level is something!

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  8. Dr.Twang!

Dr.Twang! Supporting Member

I will say Ronnie’s sounds put me on a quest that’s lasted 40+ years. Listening to “Fly in the ointment” off of Ooh La La still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. Guy is the perfect sideman for the outfits he’s made his living in. One of the greats.

wntbtw and wire-n-wood like this.
  9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I agree with you that it is not good to glorify that lifestyle. First hand experience, withdrawals cold turkey quite a few times. But one thing I disagree with you is the "and drugs" statement. Tobacco and alcohol are not only hardcore drugs , they are among the most deadly. Of the drug withdrawals I have had, alcohol was by far the very worst and most dangerous, and tobacco was the hardest drug addiction to stop.

But I got your point and am glad someone said it. Most people don't realize that once you are hooked on something it haunts you the rest of your life, not because of any kind of cravings ( with me at least), it is the residual effects that drugs do to your nervous system as well as the fact that when you get older and need drugs for self defense, they are no longer an option.

10. Papanate

I'm not judging him - I'm stating that bringing up his personal life opens the story up to his personal demons. My Mom died of Cancer when I was a kid. I love my Mom - but she and I knew she smoked when she shouldn't have been.

11. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

You aren’t wrong about the fact that we shouldn’t glorify addictions. The truth of it is that addiction is a symptom of something wrong deep down that one just wont or can’t face and comes to terms with. There are plenty of people who’ve done lots of different things and they never became addicts of any of those things. The common denominator in such cases is they are genuinely happy by and large and have no deep seated issues tormenting them. They are able to drop any of it and make a habit of none of it.
    I’m with the poster here who emphasized not downplaying tobacco. It kills more people than all other drugs, alcohol, accidents and Aids combined and yet it’s still very much legal.
    As to having ethics and principles, there is nothing wrong with that at all. Integrity is a big one. That said, maybe you should find it in you to have some empathy and compassion for those who are struggling in this life. Saying you don’t feel sorry for someone who gets cancer due to addiction is really harsh. Imagine knowing you are killing your self and still you can’t stop. Something is very wrong and I do feel bad for anyone in such a place. I feel bad and I’m sorry that you lost your mom.

wntbtw, wi3465, rednoise and 3 others like this.
  12. wombat66

wombat66 Member

Wow. People still argue over the immorality of The Rolling Stones. I feel like a young man.

Washburnmemphis and erksin like this.
  13. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I saw Ronnie on the tour for this album with the New Barbarians. My first concert I saw shortly after moving to Chicago. Great show.

wntbtw likes this.
  14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

When you wrote, "I happen to have principles and ethics", it read pretty judgmental to me.

My apologies if I misconstrued you.

Washburnmemphis and rednoise like this.
  15. Papanate

Don't apologize...the more replies I read the more I feel like an A**hat for saying it.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

If that's the case, I reiterate my apology, because you don't seem to have meant it as I read it, PN, and it seems to be my misunderstanding. Rereading it, I think I get what you're saying, once I step outside my own shoes.

17. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Great song

bobmc likes this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

From Kenney Jones' book, when they played that live, everyone would hit the on-stage bar during his drum break.

One time they split to a nearby pub, leaving him to carry on until they came back.

I'm glad there are still survivors.

bobmc and Washburnmemphis like this.