Room Mics for Rehersal Recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by indytone, Jan 2, 2008.

1. indytone

indytone Member

We're going to start recording our practices and I currently have an m-audio delta 66 w/ the Omni box, so I can do 4 tracks at a time. Band's set up is pretty simple: drums, bass, 1 guitar, organ

I'm thinking that setting up four room mics is the way to go since we only have four tracks we can use at a time. What are some good mics for this sort of situation that won't break the bank? I currently have a SM57 as well as some Oktavas, but I believe that out of the bunch, the 57 is the only one that would be alright for this purpose.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd get a stereo mic, find the spot in the room where the sound is balanced, and plop it down. Simple to set up and accurate for capturing the band's sound.

If you didn't already have the interface, I would have recommended one of those hand-held stereo recorders that Zoom, Sony, and others make. They are great for capturing the sound of a band for critical listening or making a quick demo.

Bryan

3. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

+1 Bryan T,

my group used a Zoom with a 2 condenser and it sounded surprisingly good, definitely good enough for a demo

4. 6789

6789 Member

Zoom H2. stereo mics on both front and back. Stick it in the middle of the room and it will capture sound from all around the room. I had one just sitting on the floor of the practice space and it even sounded good from down there.

5. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

Just a thought - in addition to a well placed stereo condenser pair, you could also try using your additional 2 tracks for a kick drum mic and a bass DI. That way you could add a defined low end to the stereo pair, something that's hard to do with room micing.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

7. indytone

indytone Member

Warren,

That sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone!

8. indytone

indytone Member

I might be able to score a pair of Oktava 012s, would that be a good stereo pair?

9. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

I just read this review here: http://www.mojopie.com/mk012.html

Seems like if you spend some time with positioning, you'd get good results.

Also check out the Rode NT-4: should save you the space and hassle of positioning two mics. You could just set this up at the sound console aiming directly at the band.
    http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=NT4

10. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member