Room noise when miking an open back cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by frizbplaya, Sep 29, 2008.

1. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I recently switched from a closed back 2x12 to an open back and I notice I hear more room noise through the mike. I guess it makes sense, there's only a speaker cone between the mike and room whereas there used to be a cone and wood. It might not be that noticeable but last night I was using in-ears and during sound check I could hear it pretty well.

Anyone run into this? What did you do?

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Just so I understand, are you micing the rear of the amp and hearing room noise through the front? Or, are you hearing the room noise through the back of the amp into a front mic?

Tom

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Miking in the front and hearing noise through the back

4. doctord02

doctord02 Member

and you are 100% certain no other open mikes were in the mix?

5. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Yep, infact, the cab was alone in a room backstage with the door shut and my guitar soloed in my inears. I noticed my reverb sounded weird so I turned my reverb off and could hear the room resonance pretty well. It was almost like a slap back. The room it was in is only 10x8' or so and it's not sound dampened, but I didn't notice this as much with my closed back (in the same room). I stuffed a soft shell drum case behind the cab and it was better but still there a little. I'd rather not have to stuff things behind the cab since that defeats the purpose of an open back!

This might just be the facts of life with miking a cab. I doubt it was noticable front of house but it bugged me enough to make a post :)