• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

rory gallagher: 3 tracks that show his best playing?

funkycam

title says it all.
I hear amazing things about his playing, have never heard anything that really grabbed me. What 3 tracks do you recommend?

thx for yr time :)
Cam

jpastras

Silver Supporting Member
Rory is a fantastic standard-tuning slide player.

He's a heck of an acoustic blues player.

He loved blues, not just "guitar blues".

He played electric blues rock guitar as well Page - it wasn't meant to be authentic, it was meant to be a rock spin on blues playing. He was distinctive, and a little raw, and very intense - kinda like Page, or Richard Lloyd, or Buddy Guy. Not a Robben Ford kind of guy.

I like Rory's work best before the 80's.

Last edited:

rwe333

Follow Me
Shadow Play
(I don't claim to be the most Rory-informed, but I usually like what he does on myriad versions of these tracks more often than not)

rickc007

Platinum Supporting Member
Million Miles Away from Irish Tour 74, great DVD to get

Ooodles of Live stuff on Youtube

greeny

If you don't like the 'walk on hot coals' clip posted by jpastras then to be honest you aren't going to like him. This to me is Rory at his absolute best.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Million Miles Away from Irish Tour 74 for sure. Great song.

For the last time at that Paris show is awesome as well. Both can be found on YouTube.

Sub City

Certainly the 2 live cuts of I Wonder Who on You Tube from '78 & '82 I believe; that's some of the best blues playing EVER!

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
Messin' with the Kid - Live in Europe
A Million Miles Away - Irish Tour 74
Edged in Blue - Calling Card

Slide - "I Could've had religion" from Live in Europe
Acoustic - "Pistol Slapper Blues" - Live in Europe

Polynitro

just get irish tour and you'll know 2 minutes in if you like him or not. Its not something thats subltle or grows on you he just plays his ass off.

erksin

I think his last record 'Fresh Evidence' is fantastic and equals anything he did in the '70s.