• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Rory Gallagher appreciation....

jcs

rorys the best!

i got to see him open for jethro tull in the mid 70s at arrowhead stadium, he played superbly and the jean jacket and worn strat were so cool to me back then!

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Theres a story of Rory getting to record with His hero Muddy Waters., Rory had an old junker car that sat broken down in his yard for years up until his death, and he would never let It be removed because Muddy had once ridden in It.

Calling Card is a great record. What a slide player and Singer.

Broken Cord

I've been into Rory Gallagher's style since the first time I heard him play in 1974. I was lucky enough to see him play live a dozen times, and had a beer with him at Toads Place in CT. Rory was a somewhat shy person who transformed when he played and performed.

I remember being in Ireland before Rory passed and many of the Irish people I spoke to did not share my enthusiasm for his music. Everyone was into U2. IMHO U2 is a medioca band that have way more poularity than they deserve.

Gallagher's music may be an aquired "Taste" for some, but for me he is one of my all time guitar playing champions.

TommyMambo

I've been into Rory Gallagher's style since the first time I heard him play in 1974. I was lucky enough to see him play live a dozen times, and had a beer with him at Toads Place in CT. Rory was a somewhat shy person who transformed when he played and performed.

I remember being in Ireland before Rory passed and many of the Irish people I spoke to did not share my enthusiasm for his music. Everyone was into U2. IMHO U2 is a medioca band that have way more poularity than they deserve.

Gallagher's music may be an aquired "Taste" for some, but for me he is one of my all time guitar playing champions.
For what it's worth, the Edge and Bono have stated that Rory was one of their biggest influences, even though you really can't hear it in U2's music.

cradlerock

For what it's worth, the Edge and Bono have stated that Rory was one of their biggest influences, even though you really can't hear it in U2's music.

His main influence on U2 was by showing them that an Irish artist/group could actually succeed. Rory was Ireland's first rocker (rock "star" if you will), before Van Morrison and before Thin Lizzy.

U2 have some good stuff, but share nothing with Rory IMO. Along with Neil Young and Bob Dylan, RG completes my Holy Trinity of fav artists.

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
I bought "Live in Europe" based solely on what I had read about him. That first track "Messin' with the Kid" just tore the paint off the walls in my room and I was sold. Rory kicked/kicks major ass.

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
My friends and I were into Taste. When Rory went out on his own, we had to (try to) learn "Messin' With the Kid" and "Laundromat" in our band. I got to see him live at Humpin' Hanna's in Milwaukee in the early '70's. Total energy!

Hanglow

Amazing player, wider range than most of the bluesy players, slide, acoustic, mandolin or sax

and not a hint of ego either, which would be something the likes of bono et al could learn from

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
I bought "Live in Europe" based solely on what I had read about him. That first track "Messin' with the Kid" just tore the paint off the walls in my room and I was sold. Rory kicked/kicks major ass.
That song has my favorite guitar tone ever.

PapaDave

Rory's tone is a template for me. I love it! Very cutting. Does anyone know what amp he played that strat through live? Man, that's tone.

bluesjunior

I have been a huge fan of Rory ever since I saw him with Taste in the 60's at the local Navy base. I saw him live another six times and have every record, video or dvd it is possible to buy. About two years ago I found the Sugarmegs site http://www.sugarmegs.org/ which has a huge amount of live Rory concerts and I have listened to them all as well. A few weeks back someone posted a concert from Mr Mustards Club Reading PA from 29/06/1985 and it is the best recording I have heard of Rory's live sound, really captures him on an exceptionally good night with some stinging guitar tone.

John Bell

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan here.I still remember the afternoon I listend to the record Tattoo for the first time.

Trending Topics