Rory Gallagher Custom Shop strat....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JeffreyC, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Ok, so how many of you have played the Rory Gallagher and what do you think?
    I've played 2 of them now and it has to be the best feeling strat I've ever played.
    I'm wondering how much of that is the neck specs...maybe they just suit me perfectly.
    Dang nice/expensive guitar - maybe I should buy one...however, I'm not much for signature guitars and would probably get the Gilmour if I was to buy one.

Neck Specs:
    Rosewood board
    Early 60's C
    9.5" radius
    25.5 scale
    1.650 at nut
    21 medium jumbo frets

Other necks I might like?? Is there a Warmoth close to this?

2. s.r.v.

s.r.v. Member

musikraft could do one for you if you get the dimensions for the early '60's C

3. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Also, if anyone has any additional info/specs on this neck.

4. rah3

rah3 Member

I played one recently at Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island here in NYC. Wonderful guitar. Very resonant. The bridge was set to float for bending up and down. I found that odd as Rory had his blocked. The guitar was simply a pleasure to play. I was very tempted but went for a Nash Relic that a fellow TGP'r just sold me.

-RAH3

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i love rory, and its a cool strat. but i can't imagine anybody playing a guitar that looks like that.... who isn't rory gallagher.

6. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Daves Guitar does a special run of Time Machine with
    exactly those neck specs, I have a few and highly recommend
    them

I had a Rory also, am a huge Rory fan, but wanted my own
    relicing

Below is my 60 with Rory neck specs

[​IMG]

7. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Hey Rick, do you by any chance know more on the specs of the Rory neck? Like how thick/thin the C is, etc? I remember it didn't seem real thick, but it felt perfect in my hands.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

We had one at the store I teach at and it had one skinny neck. Very plinky sounding strat. None of the teachers dug it. But that was only one example.

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

I'm not "anybody". I have one....GREAT guitar....why I bought it. Best Strat I've heard (best middle pickup ever...one that actually sounds good) of the many that I have owned since 1973 (when I got my first Strat), best I've heard since hearing hundreds live since 1966 (when I started playing electric guitar) and best I've heard since playing dozens upon dozens of them. (A local '64 I have played comes close in tone, about the same in playability.) It also has the added bonus of not needing a case. Walk in with one of my combo amps (cables and one pedal in back) in one hand and the RG Strat in another. Different tones for different bones.

10. blues54

blues54 Member

The Rory Strat is up there with one of the best Strat's I have ever played or heard. I like a little bigger neck but I can see how this makes it much easier to play. Hand fatigue is not something you will experience with this guitar. I was in one of our local Music Stores and ran into the Fender Sales Rep. He agreed, he thinks it may be the best Strat the custom shop makes.

Fender came out with their 20th Anniversary Custom Shop guitar last fall. It was based on all of the requests that they got over the last 20 years to build CS guitars. The Custom 60's pickups are the ones they put in it. These are the same that go in the RG Strat. The RG Strat killed the CS Strat and they are the exact same pu's. Go figure. Gotta be the body, the neck, the finish, etc...

You wont go wrong with buying one.

11. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Just what's written on Fenders web site

The Rorys do feel a little thinner at the nut
    but the rest of the neck shape is about the same as a 60

12. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Thanks for all the responses guys and sharing your input about this guitar.

This is very surprising though - I've only played 2 Rory's, but they were both absolutely incredible!!

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Well you know how strats can vary. I'm sure some of the RG's are smokin'. I didn't like that real thin neck on the one I tried. Plus the finish did not look realistic wear on that one.

14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I played one and it was OK, nothing to scream about. I certainly wouldn't buy one to look like Rory Gallagher.

15. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Yeah, that's just it for me. I'm not really into signature guitars.

I seem to like the neck profile on the Rory, so maybe I should just have a neck built by usacg and put that on my 57 RI strat.

16. Peppy

Peppy Member

I certainly didn't either. Didn't even buy it to necessarily sound like him. You think people buy Les Pauls to look like a 90-something old man? SRVs to compensate for not having the plumed hat? Flashy green Washburns to look like the late Dimebag sans purple goatee? Hmmm.

17. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

hehehe - great post!! :rotflmao

18. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Played one at the NAMM show about 3 years ago and absolutely loved it. One of the best feeling necks I've ever had my paws around. I was haunted enough by that neck to consider buying one of LEs on several occasions.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Chill out. Why so defensive? Nobody accused you of anything. I don't give a crap what guitar you play.

20. phatster

phatster Member

I got one,it helped me become a strat fan!!