Rory Gallagher on His Blues Heroes, Playing Guitar, Albums

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JasO, Oct 10, 2010.

1. JasO

JasO Member

Deeply musical and bluesy to the core, Ireland's Rory Gallagher was a sublime guitarist and scrappy, compelling singer. And like the American bluesmen he admired, Rory had the inner strength to remain true to his musical self throughout his entire career. I love his records, especially his first five or six solo albums, and sometimes listen to him for weeks on end.

In 1991, during what proved to be his final tour, Rory and I spent an afternoon together in Santa Cruz, California, and had a great conversation about his musical heroes, his recordings and studio techniques, and, naturally, his approach to playing guitar. Here, for the first time, is a complete transcript of that interview.

http://jasobrecht.com/rory-gallagher-the-1991-interview/

2. SLG

SLG Member

Thanks for posting the interview. It was a great read.

3. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Silver Supporting Member

Thoroughly enjoyed that.
    Thank you

4. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

Thanks much for posting. I've taken a lot of enjoyment from your work over the years.

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

Great interview! Too bad I discovered Rory after he passed. There's another Irish blues/rock guitarist, named Simom McBride, who's definitely worth checking out.

6. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

Great read Jas, thanks for posting.

7. Strat335

Strat335 Member

Saw Rory in the late 70s at The Texas Opry House, and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I've seen a lot of great concerts and great musicians, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone that was so much in the zone as he was. It was magical. He tore that place and everyone in it apart.
    Thanks for the article, it brought back those memories.

8. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Much like Muddy, he was more of a force of nature than merely a musician. That man had a deep soul.

9. Sub City

Sub City Supporting Member

Now that's a great interview; thanks Jas! I got Rory's 1st live LP when it come out; had to see him when he opened for Deep Purple at the Felt Forum in NYC in March 1973. Fantastic performer, and as the interview demonstrates, the man really studied the blues like few others; that only comes from having a true passion for the music!

10. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Excellent! I've read the Garcia, Eric Johnson and now Rory interviews. Probably the most inspiring reading I've done in a long while. I often wonder why magazine articles are so short and lacking in deeper questioning. I guess it all get cut out. Too bad.

11. JasO

JasO Member

Getting a good interview has a lot to do with who you are as a person. Extraordinary musicians -- the kind who touch our souls and survive a long time in a very challenging environment -- have an uncanny ability to see through people, a kind of built-in BS detector. I've found this to be especially true with elder bluesmen and musicians who've been around since the 1960s and '70s. If you're honest, self-effacing, and focused entirely on their art, they'll respond. If you come in trying to impress them or prove something, better find another line of work.

I believe the interviewer owes it to the musician to come in as prepared as possible -- this means listening to everything you can get your hands on, reading everything you can, finding some new areas to explore, and putting yourself in the place of that person's most informed fans. And most of all, use the time to get to the core of the person's art. Let someone ask about who he's sleeping with or what drugs he's doing. I want to know how songs were written, solos were recorded, lessons were learned!

12. Structo

Structo Member

Thanks for posting that.
    I was a Rory fan years ago in the 70's. Nobody was listening to him in my crowd.
    Very underrated and a shame he didn't get more attention.

13. goodtone

goodtone Member

First heard Rory back in 71 I believe. It was like who the heck is that guy playing guitar on the radio ? No one could play a fatter sounding Strat than Rory ! I saw him four times and it was non-stop hard rock and blues to the max. Rory always included a few acoustic tunes in his set and they were great as well ! A man of such great talent who deserved much more recognition and acclaim than he received. Rory had a lot of guts for sticking to his roots and staying true to his own style of music. Rory had an opportunity to attend a Stones rehearsal but left for reasons I'm not sure of. Rory is very much remembered and appreciated for his gift of music. I'm still in awe of his pure emotion that he pours into his Strat when I listen to those old recordings.

14. axiology

axiology Member

Thank you Jas for that. Rory has been a big influence. "Race the Breeze" and "Pistol Slapper Blues" have been part of my solo acoustic repertoire for years.

15. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Fantastic stuff! I have been a Rory fan since his days with Taste and was lucky enough to see him live three or four times in the mid 70's.

Thanks for sharing!

16. Strat335

Strat335 Member

"this means listening to everything you can get your hands on, reading everything you can, finding some new areas to explore, and putting yourself in the place of that person's most informed fans"

Yes sir. And that's the reason I was so excited to go get my new GP...long time ago.
    Great job, Jas.

17. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for posting, Rory moved me with his talent and I never had the chance to see him live. The interview puts me in a nostalgic & happy place. Bustin' out some of his recordings again.

18. DC1

DC1 Member

Great piece on a great player!

thanks

dc

19. mario

mario Member

Thank you very much for posting that interview. I was and am a HUGE Rory fan. I am very blessed to have seen him back in the 80s' in a huge bar called "Harpo's" in Detroit. Great show!